Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Jun 22, 2009, 6:18 AM   #1

Default Hello from Adelaide, South Australia

New to the site and thought i'd say hello to all you camera enthusiasts!
I have been taking pics for quite a while but really want to take it to the next level which for me is professional sports photography.
I recently bought an Olympus E-520 and am very happy with it. It works in all the conditions I wish it to which is important for outdoor sport.
Hope to have many chats with all of you and receive some tips on improving my abilities.
Here's a pic of my favourite sport for all of you that know nothing about Australian Rules Football.
I'll post more pics as time permits so you can see a bit more about this wonderful game.
Attached Images

Old Jun 22, 2009, 7:40 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome on board!!

Have you had a chance to check out the Sports & Action Photos section? This is where our sports shooters hang out.

You say you want to get into pro sports photography, is this shooting pro sports or shooting as a pro yourself for publication/sales etc?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2009, 2:56 AM   #3

Shooting pro sports for publication is what i'm aiming for.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 4:49 AM   #4
Super Moderator

It is an expensive goal that is for sure as you will need to work with quite serious lenses and bodies. In the pro sport shooting world there are only two brand options that you will generally see being used which are Canon and Nikon. There are very important reasons for this which are AF performance, lens quality/options and high ISO performance. That is only a part of the equation, the next step is understanding the camera/settings/composition/what sells etc. You need to have confidence that you can get out there and capture the result desired each time you shoot.

Next step is to get access to event's and publications. This is the hard part and one of the reasons I've not pursued the pro level but rather shoot local closed events where I'm shooting for the players, family and friends.

I would pose the question for getting into the pro shooting game in the sports/action section as mentioned so you can get more input as this conversation will probably be missed by other members who are interested in sports.

I'm not trying to put you off, just to make you aware that this is a tough game to get into and will take quite an investment in time for you to get to the technical standard needed and an investment in kit to be able to get the quality that magazines will want for publication.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 2:32 PM   #5

You don't necessarily need a Canon or Nikon DSLR, although I've used both brands shooting sports. With the rapid advancement in technology there are other DSLRs that are equal to the quality of both aforementioned brands and provide excellent results. But be sure that you have a quality portfolio - that helps as much as anything.
richie1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 3:58 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie1950 View Post
You don't necessarily need a Canon or Nikon DSLR, although I've used both brands shooting sports. With the rapid advancement in technology there are other DSLRs that are equal to the quality of both aforementioned brands and provide excellent results. But be sure that you have a quality portfolio - that helps as much as anything.
You don't need to have a Canon or Nikon, however if someone really wants to do sports shooting as a Pro then they are quite superior in their auto focus algorithms which is a real key differentiator. If someone was shooting weddings then this wouldn't be an issue but fast moving action needs fast and accurate AF. However for my wedding work it is good to have an AF that snaps in very quickly for the unplanned candid shots.

There is no point in investing a lot of money in the lenses needed for sports work if it is not on the right system, you could spend out a considerable amount but just not get the desired results when it counts.

I started shooting sports with a Konica Minolta 5D with just a basic Tamron 70-300, I then upgraded this to a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 however the KM system (now used by Sony) simply didn't have the performance. Sony is now a lot better but I still don't think there are the options there for sports. We are yet to see how well the Pentax K7 will do and unfortunately Olympus is pretty much at the bottom of the barrel. One of our members AirbrushJohn used to be an Oly user however he switched to Canon so can vouch for the improvements.