Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Jun 27, 2009, 2:05 PM   #1

Default Hi.

My first camera was a Polaroid model 100/300ish. A gift for my 12h birthday. Used that alot.

Then, a variey of point-and-shoots. I really liked the Minolta I had circa 1988. Used that alot.

Recently, had a 'donationware' Epson PhotoPC 800 from a friend. Used that alot.

Just got a now-very-hard-to-find Canon Powershot A590is. Using that alot.

Born and raised in the birthplace of basketball which is also the hometown of Dr. Seuss and the birthplace for the voice of Rocket J. Squirrel. With a stay in the Witch City and some time in Emily Dickenson's hometown. Got to be where I couldn't stand the cold, and last fall relocated down the Southeast Coast of North Carolina. And lovin' it big time!

For now, I'm just trying to figure out the various bell's and whistles on this camera. Which brought me here. Some really good review/commentary and analysis with a friendly open feel.

Today, I have a MacBook and an iPod nano 2nd gen. Saving for an iPod touch.

The MacBook is named 'Iko' (from the Grateful Dead cover of 'IkoIko') and the iPod is named "Bad Sneakers" from the Steely Dan song. The Canon is named "Show Boat". That's not only a famous musical, but the nickname for the battleship U.S.S. North Carolina; berthed nearby on the Cape Fear River.

The 'show' moniker is both the short version of the camera name, but a reference to MLB - aka 'The Show'. First heard that used in the movie Bull Durham. My favorite sports-oriented movie.

I'm also a fan of Stanley Kubrick's work, fwiw. And much more. Old stuff mostly. Haven't seen too much 21st century film.

As for influences in my own shots, I'd say the usual suspects (Ansel Adams, and maybe Charles Sheeler.) I do landscapes. Hardly any of people, per se. In fact, there's a scene from "Three Days of the Condor" that seems to be guiding or an influence on my work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auZ77cdRL4Y

Linda McCartney's "Sun Prints" too.

Amazed at the advancement of technology over the last 40 years. Who could have imagined, eh?

Male and single and looking.

I guess that's about all the important stuff I can think of.

Sam Spade: You know, that's good, because if you actually were as innocent as you pretend to be, we'd never get anywhere.

Last edited by show; Jun 27, 2009 at 2:09 PM.
show is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2009, 2:26 PM   #2
Administrator

I'd love to see landscapes influenced by the "Lonely Pictures" on the wall in that scene from "Three Days of the Condor", so please check out our Landscape Photos Forum when you have a chance. You'll find a variety of "Post your Photos" forums here you can use to share your images with other members.

BTW, Welcome to the Forums!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2009, 3:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I'd love to see landscapes influenced by the "Lonely Pictures" on the wall in that scene from "Three Days of the Condor", so please check out our Landscape Photos Forum when you have a chance. You'll find a variety of "Post your Photos" forums here you can use to share your images with other members.

BTW, Welcome to the Forums!

Thanks.

Uh oh. Now I really gotta 'show' huh?

Sam Spade: You know, that's good, because if you actually were as innocent as you pretend to be, we'd never get anywhere.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 4:00 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by show View Post
Thanks.

Uh oh. Now I really gotta 'show' huh?

No hurry. Make yourself at home and post some photos when you feel like sharing some. You'll find a friendly group of members here that love to discuss all aspects of photograph (including composition, technique, camera bodies, lenses, lighting, and much more). You'll find lots of nice images in the forums that members have shared with others here, too.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2009, 4:19 PM   #5

Yes.

I've noticed lots of info from lurking a little. Lots of hints/tips.

I got my toes wet. Now, to get some sea-legs under me.

These days, the ocean beckons. I've been taking a few on the beach.

Last edited by show; Jun 27, 2009 at 4:31 PM.