Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Aug 17, 2009, 6:53 PM   #1

Default A big thanks...

First off, I'd like to thank everyone that contributes to these forums. I came across this site when looking for a possible solution to my picture taking problems and I have learned a lot over the last few days. I've learned so much that it convinced me to bite the bullet and buy a DSLR camera.

After reading as many comments (and reviews) I ended up getting a Canon XSi. I wasn't too sure on what lens I needed but settled with the 18-200IS package deal. Hopefully it does the trick but I noticed that this lens didn't have very warm reviews when I read about it after the fact.

I still have a lot to learn but the knowledge that you all provide is priceless. So a big thank you again. Maybe one day in the near future I'll get brave enough and start posting some shots.
zedstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2009, 8:08 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome and pleased that you have found Steve's helpful.

The 18-200 is not an overly bad lens or anything it just comes back to something that is often found in lenses which is the compromise of convenience. The more zoom you have then generally the lower the quality the results but the wider range of focal lengths covered. The best results will pretty much be with using prime (fixed focal length lenses), then zoom lenses with a small range and then zooms with a lot of range. The problem with prime lenses is you have to change the lens every time you want a different focal length, with a modest range zoom you have to change a bit and then super zooms you will change to a different lens rarely usually if you need to go really long or really wide.

So I wouldn't be too concerned as you have a great tool for learning and you will be able to shoot a lot of different subjects with a single lens option. Moving forward you might find you want higher quality at a certain focal length so in that case you might get a high quality zoom to cover that or a prime. Equally you might be happy with the quality you are getting for use you have.

If you want to learn posting shots is a really good way as is looking at the sorts of photos that interest you to try to emulate them.

Looking forward to seeing you around.

Happy shooting,

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 8:29 PM   #3

Thanks for the info Mark, it's greatly appreciated. I was taking shots of my 6 yr old daughter's soccer game so that we could look back and keep memories. The shots were sub par and some what blurry.

The other day, my daughter had a great game and scored 5 goals. I was ecstatic that I had (at least I thought I did...) shots of all of them. They looked good in the LCD display even though it's an older point and shoot @ 5MP. Once I transferred them to the computer I was floored that I had absolutely nothing. The ball was crisp.. everything else was just blurry and totally unrecognizable.

That's basically when I started looking into why shots were blurry and what I needed to do to capture these memories. It will definitely take a while but I'm slowly learning all the terminology, settings (and the reasons why they're used) and how to properly frame the action.

So far my biggest hurdle is getting used to the fact that I don't have zoom buttons .. but I'll get there one day.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 8:35 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Here is a link to a thread on shooting sports that I put together a while ago that will help you improve in that area. It's a tough thing to do well but you will be able to get acceptable shots with what you have as long as you are shooting daytime. For sports having the right kit is really key if you want to get the best results but unfortunately it is out of reach for most.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/sp...n-improve.html
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 8:57 PM   #5

Thanks again Mark - if I can get just 1 nice shot, I'd be a happy camper. Only 3 games left this season..