Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Sep 2, 2009, 1:25 PM   #1

Default Howdy from Texarkana, TX!

Hey guys and gals!

My name is James, I'm 22 and from North East Texas around the Texarkana area. I live about 7 miles from the Lousiana border, and about 12 miles from the Arkansas border.

I worked as a Videographer and video editor for about 3 and a half years, and dabbled in Photography a bit on the side, but the studio I worked for had to lay off 75% of their employees due to the market slowing way down in this area. I work at a loan office now, and do a bit of light photography jobs part time on the side. My ultimate goal is to make a big enough name for myself locally to eventually quit the loan office and do photography full time.

I'm using an Olympus e-450 dSLR. It's sort of an entry dSLR, but I like it quite a bit. A lot of people complain about it not having Image Stabilization, but I don't really notice it honestly. Maybe it's from years of working in Video and having to be steady no matter what, I don't know.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Last edited by Jerolin; Sep 2, 2009 at 1:47 PM. Reason: typo
Jerolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2009, 1:37 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums Jamie.

I don't know about the photography full time part. You'll need to be dedicated and find the right market niche (and you may need significant investment in equipment to work in some areas).

Of course, if you spend time in our forums, post photos and ask for help in areas you need improvement in, that can help with the technical skills (and you'll also want good marketing and business skills). ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 1:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Of course, if you spend time in our forums, post photos and ask for help in areas you need improvement in, that can help with the technical skills (and you'll also want good marketing and business skills). ;-)
For sure! that's the biggest reason I joined. I want to get some constructive critiques.

I did a little photography while I was working in Videography, but I by no means think I know everything.

I'm very much looking forward to learning things from everyone!
Jerolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 2:06 PM   #4
Administrator

Great. We'll look forward to seeing you post here.

If you're looking for Critique on images, the best place to post them is the Critiques and Techniques Forum (which was setup for that purpose).

Make sure to read the Guidelines for that forum here (for example, it's best to limit it to one photo per thread so that more focus is placed on how to improve a single image, versus trying to solicit comments on a lot of images in one thread).

Critiques and Techniques Posting Guidelines

You'll need to downsize your images for posting here (so that both the dimensions and file size are not too large).

If you're using Windows, I'd suggest downsizing them using something like the free Irfanview. After opening an image with it (File>Open), look under Image>Resize/Resample. I'd make the longest side around 800 pixels or smaller, leaving the retain aspect ratio box checked. I normally select the Lanczos algorithm for resizing.

Then, when you save the image after resizing (File>Save As), select JPEG as the file type and set the JPEG Quality slider you'll see pop up to around 80%. That will probably get the file size within limits as long as the image is downsized to smaller dimensions first (no more than around 800 pixels on the longest side is desirable, so that members don't need to scroll around to see the entire image). Around 720 pixels is even better (you want members with lower resolution monitors to be able to see the entire image without scrolling).

Most other image editors can downsize photos, too (for example, I often use DigiKam when running under Linux (which is most of the time).

Then, after downsizing an image for posting, use the attachment button you'll see when making a post here, which lets you upload an image and attach it to a forum post (use the button in the editor tool bar that looks like or , depending on the forum theme you using).

For larger images (for example, full size images you want users to see in more detail), it's best to use a photo sharing service that allows the upload of full sizes images, then post a link to the image versus trying to embed it in a post here, since a full size original makes it difficult for forum viewers to judge it, since they'd need to scroll left and right to see an entire image (or responses about it in the same thread).

If you're looking for more camera specific advise (or you want to make comments about your use of a camera), feel free to post in one of our camera specific forums (like the Olympus dSLR Forum for discussion about Olympus dSLR models like your E-450). Other forums are setup for discussion of a wide variety of other topics here, too.

If you just want to post photos for sharing and more general comments, we have a variety of Post Your Photos Forums setup for different subjects types (People, Landscapes, etc.), where you'll likely get more comments.

But, for more serious critique on images, I'd use our Critiques and Techniques Forum.

Good luck in meeting your goal of becoming a full time photographer, and please don't be a stranger. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote