Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Sep 7, 2009, 12:42 PM   #1

Default Hi from another Texan

My granddaughter is a cheerleader for the University of Texas and I want to be able to take clear sharp pictures from in the stands (sometimes way up). What is the best camera and lens to help me achieve this. I also take action football pictures in my hometown at night games.
Thanks for any suggestions, Betlou
betlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2009, 1:52 PM   #2
Administrator

Betlou:

Welcome to the forums. You must be very proud of your daughter.

There is no one "best" camera, as each user will have preferences in a system (including how ergonomics, size and weight fit into the equation). For example, you may not want to spend roughly $9000 on a Nikkor 400mm f/2.8 VR lens and lug it around with you to games (since it weighs over 10 pounds, and that's not including a camera to attach it to), even if you would get better photos compared to a smaller, lighter and less expensive solution. ;-) But, frankly, shooting from high up in the stands is probably going to be tough, even with a longer focal length lens with sufficient brightness, depending on your expectations (since you may be too far away for sufficient detail with lenses that are practical and still bright enough, regardless of budget).

I see you've started a thread asking about a camera in our What Camera Should I Buy? Forum. That's the best place to get some feedback on what may work better. Hopefully, some of our members will see the thread and try to give you some pros and cons of different solutions. Some of our sports shooters may be more familiar with that stadium and have a better idea of what's needed to get shots from high up in the stands.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 12:42 PM   #3

Heya!

I'm new to this site and love to learn more from everyone!
tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 12:58 PM   #4
Administrator

Welcome the forums tumbleweed!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote