Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:35 AM   #1

Default New member from Suburban Detroit.

Hey I'm Josh better known as Mr. Morbid. I don't really consider my self a photog expert. The only thing I really enjoy taking pictures of are grave sites. I have a Canon Powershot A20 which is somewhat outdated but it still does a decent job with taking photos. I'm looking to upgrade to a more intermediate level digital camera.
Mr. Morbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:01 AM   #2
Super Moderator

are you considering a DSLR?

if you plan to continue shooting grave sites, it would give you the ability to get shallow depth-of-field to isolate the grave and give a nice background blur, as well as other creative uses of depth of field.

as well as giving you better low-light shooting capabilities which could allow you to get more atmospheric/moody shots.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 4:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
are you considering a DSLR?

if you plan to continue shooting grave sites, it would give you the ability to get shallow depth-of-field to isolate the grave and give a nice background blur, as well as other creative uses of depth of field.

as well as giving you better low-light shooting capabilities which could allow you to get more atmospheric/moody shots.
I've looked at some DSLR camera reviews online they're a bit pricey for my budget. I'd like to get something that isn't too bulky but is also not an ultra compact style cam. I'm pretty much sold on Canon products as I use both a Canon ZR900 for my camcorder, and the Powershot A20. The A20 does a good job for what I use it for but it only has 2.1 megapixels and is several years old.

My general price range is around $200 to $300 dollars. I wouldn't mind a good number of features I was looking at the PowerShot SX120 IS for an upgrade camera. But I'm also weighing other options and manufacturers.
Mr. Morbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 7:38 PM   #4

Hi,
This is my first post. I take a lot of pictures and videos with my Canon Powershot A540. However, I'm not very good with computers. A few months ago, my computer crashed. The repairman was able to recover a fair amount of my files. Most of the pictures and some of the videos came back fine, but I would get a message saying that the player would be unable to play other videos when I clicked on them. I tried playing them in Quicktime, avi, and Realplayer, but none of the worked. Other videos just show up as THM files, which I know I can't play. Does anybody know what happened to the original videos? How come I only get the THM's and not the video itself? What happened here?!!! If you don't know any of this, could you give me some advice on who to talk to? Thank you
cirbitus is offline   Reply With Quote