Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Nov 4, 2009, 7:43 AM   #1

Default Complete beginner dumb question

Hello All,

Will a Fujinon 1:2.2 f=55mm prime lens fit a Finepix S5000?

I told you it was a dumb question but I've just bought my first digital camera for a new hobby when I retire shortly.

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers,

John
wooffindin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2009, 7:56 AM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums John.

Sorry, but the Fuji Finepix S5000 is not an interchangeable lens camera model, and even if it were, that lens is probably an M42 screw mount lens designed for older model film SLR cameras.

Most Digital SLR models made by Fuji are designed to take Nikon F Mount lenses (they use a Nikon body with Fuji guts). For example, some of the dSLR models made by Fujifilm are the S1 Pro, S2 Pro, S3 Pro and S5 Pro. Here's a review of one:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...lr-review.html

But, an older screw mount lens is not going to be fully compatible with a dSLR model (and Fuji dSLR models use Nikon F mount lenses, not M42 Screw Mount lenses). You can you can buy an adapter for some camera mounts that lets you use one with stop down metering. For example, some of our Pentax dSLR owners use an M42 Screw Mount to Pentax K mount adapter.

However, your Fuji S5000 is not a Digital SLR, and is not designed to use interchangeable lenses. You may find some add-on lenses that would work with it, designed to mount on the included adapter's 55mm filter threads. But, many may cause optical degradation, vignetting, etc. The lens you asked about is not designed to be an add-on lens for a non-dSLR model like your S5000.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 8:41 AM   #3

JimC,

Thanks for that, I can save my money and buy a uV filter instead.

Cheers, John
wooffindin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 8:42 AM   #4
Administrator

If you do want to look into add-on lenses (for example, Fujii makes a 1.5x Teleconverter designed to give you more magnfication, as do some of the other manufacturers like Raynox, Olympus and more), then you may want to start a new thread in our Fujifilm forum, asking what other members have found works well on an S5000 via it's adapter for add-on lenses.

We also have a separate Add-On Lenses Forum setup specifically for add-on lenses used with non-dSLR models like your S5000 that you may want to browse through. it looks like you'd probably want to use add-on lenses with 58mm filter threads via a 55mm to 58mm step up ring. But, I'd suggest checking with Fuji users for what might work best (as many add-on lenses are of relatively poor optical quality and may degrade images more than they help).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote