Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Nov 9, 2009, 6:25 PM   #1

Default Video to email ?

Hi everyone, I've just purchased a new Lumix Ls3 and would like to know the best way to transfer/attach video from my SD card to a email, the video is actually pretty good! Just would like to send short clips. The manual, unless I'm missing it, doesn't explain how to do this... I'm sure there is a simple way???

Thanks a bunch,

Larry M
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2009, 7:38 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome Larry.

Videos are files. So, you can copy them to your hard drive, attach them to e-mails, upload them to sites, etc. Your camera will probably show up as a removable drive under "My Computer". If not, go into your camera's setup menu, select the USB Mode choice and change it to USB Mass Storage.

That way, you can click on the icon for it under My Computer, and drill down through the folders until you locate the one that contains your .mov files and copy them anywhere you want to (to a folder on your hard drive, etc.). Most e-mail software has a way to attach files using a browse button. So, you could browse for the files on your card directly (either via a USB Attached camera or using a card reader) and attach a .mov to an e-mail that way; or browse the folder you copy the files to on your hard drive instead.

But, the problem is that video files may be too large for many e-mail systems. For example, an 8 second clip for a ZS3 in our samples was approximately 28MB in size.

So, you may have to find a more practical way to share the videos with others (so that you don't run into e-mail restrictions on allowed file sizes).

IOW, you may need to upload them to a video sharing site like vimeo.com, youtube.com, etc. It may also be desirable to convert them to a different format so that they're not as large and easier to view by more users over the internet.

One place to get a lot of information on sharing video files, and using software to convert them to other formats is our Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams Forum.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:33 PM   #3

Thanks Jim, I see I do have a Motion JPEG setting and it does say say it's useful for attaching to an e-mail! I'll give it a try and hope the quality will be worth sending??

Larry M
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote