Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Nov 21, 2009, 4:19 PM   #1

Default Help!! Lost all my photos on Zoombrowser upgrade

Hi All,

Well bought a little laptop to take away on hols, but it had no cd drive so could not load my zoombrowser. Went online and was not allowed to download the latest version. So I found an earlier version 2.something and downloaded that and started to use the early version( which was crap ) later when I had time ,I downloaded an upgrade to Zoombrowser 6.1.1 but then found I had no photos nor could I locate them anywhere on my computer. I am talking 1800 photos of our latest trip of which I have not even viewed them all yet.

Any advice or help would really be appreciated..

Thanks Stevo..
stevobrisbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2009, 5:04 PM   #2
Administrator

The images are probably on your PC. You're just not seeing them after the update using ZoomBrowser.

It looks like you'll need to do a database conversion, then move the folders the images are in to different location (other than under Program Files somewhere). Note the section with this text about the upgrade (and you'll see the same text on other Canon sites if you click on the link to the Zoombrowser upgrade)

http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0029180.asp

Quote:
- Database File Conversion Restrictions
There are restrictions on folders under the Program Files folder.
In ZoomBrowser EX 4, 5, or 6, folders under the Program Files folder are not displayed. Therefore images in the Library One folder, which was the default in ZoomBrowser EX 2 or 3, cannot be viewed in ZoomBrowser EX 4, 5, or 6.
To see the images in the Library One folder, use Windows Explorer to move the images to a location outside the Program Files folder.
* Please move the folders after converting the database file.
You may find it's easier just to install something like the free Google Picasa to find your images since it will search your entire PC for images it displays by default.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 5:25 PM   #3

Hi JimC,

Thank you for your prompt reply. may I ask if I use Picasa will my image quality and file size etc. remain the same after they are transferred back to zoombrowser

Thanks again
stevobrisbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 5:32 PM   #4
Administrator

Picasa doesn't move the images (it can just locate all folders on your PC that contains them and let you view/edit them if desired).

If you plan on moving the image folder so that you can see it with ZoomBrowser, I'd do that instead. You could still use other products like Picasa along with it if desired.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote