Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Feb 2, 2010, 2:49 PM   #1

Default New Guy with pics of my first purchase...

Howdy ya'll....

This seems like a great place with lot's of thoughts and action happening by talented & friendly people. I think I'll hang around a while if'n you don't mind and see what rubs off !

My introduction to photography came to me at an early age by way of my dear ol' Aunt Vickie who worked pretty much her whole career in the QC dept. of Poloroid in Cambridge, MA. I clearly recall her always speaking very highly of Dr. Land and his accomplishments.

Aunt Vixtcha, as we called her, was continuously bringing something new home, with a big box of damaged film to keep me occupied while the adults visited in the other room on Sunday afternoons. Some pix came out, some flashes flashed and some didn't. I got plenty of practice loading film though ! She encouraged and fostered my picture taking none the less, emphasizing composition over subject matter.

Years later, I experimented with a Yashica 35MM and a zoom lens with lot's of B&W film on the streets of Boston. I took a photo class and got a taste of the darkroom in Fla and then just kind of lost interest.

Work keeps me outdoors for the most part and close to nature. We started birding and that naturally lead to wanting to document what we saw.

Up till now, our little P & S stuck in the eyepiece of our spotting scope really worked pretty well..... but I'm beginning to have a hankering for one of these Megazoom hybrids.... and here I am !

Anyway, attached is a picture of my first aquisition, recommended somewhere along the way by the very helpful Sarah, the mtclimber to get me off on the right foot !

Thanx for having me.....catch ya next time around !

Strobe
Attached Images

Last edited by Strobe; Feb 5, 2010 at 5:44 PM.
Strobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2010, 2:55 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome Strobe.

There are plenty of people here willing to share knowledge about the purchase and use of your planned megazoom.

have a look at this thread,
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fu...-hs10-wow.html
30x optical, mechanical, zoom would be great for birders.

still too early to tell how exactly this camera will fair, but it looks promising.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 7:01 PM   #3

Evenin' Hards and thanx for the howdy doo....

Yeah buddy ! The Fuji looks like just the ticket ! Good things come to those who wait.... yes ?

I have been trying to cool my jets about diving in and buying one of what seems to be the top 3 or 4 current faves around here, in the hopes that something more exciting will make it's debut in the coming months as suggested in other posts..... seems there may be real merit in that thought ?

I'll be watching this one closely ! Thanx for the heads up !
Old Feb 2, 2010, 7:07 PM   #4
Super Moderator

It is a very ambitious camera. a 30x zoom is not easy to pull off. So time will tell if they can follow-up on that ambition. I

If I were you, I would wait for at least a few first hands-on experiences to see how it goes, I am sure as those are available they will be linked to here on our forums.

If their ambition overshoots their means, then you can always fall back and pick up the fine Panasonic FZ35 or Canon SX20IS.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 7:18 PM   #5

Yes sir, good advise !

..... the Panasonic is currently on top of the list !