Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Mar 13, 2010, 7:26 AM   #1

Default Formatting an old XD card

When I try to format my XD card for use in my camera I keep getting a message "Card not initialised". I think it may be that previously I had formatted the card on my computer (Windows Vista)instead of in the camera. Now I can't even format it on the computer. There are no pictures on the card and I don't need to recover its contents.
Please can you help?

Thanks
edmundgant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2010, 7:32 AM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums.

If you formatted it with Windows, it probably used a 32 bit FAT by default (shown as FAT32 in the drop down list of file system types), which is *not* compatible with many cameras. A cameras using xD Picture Card is expecting a 16 Bit FAT instead.

If you reformat it using Windows, select FAT (not the default FAT32) from the drop down list of file system types you'll see after selecting the format choice.

I'd also reformat it using your camera's menu choice for format prior to using it again.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 1:37 PM   #3

Hi JimC

I did as you suggested using FAT16. I did a full format and like before it reached almost 100% format before it stopped with the message "Windows unable to complete the format" The drop down options on my computer show NTFS, FAT(default), FAT32 and exFAT.
edmundgant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:24 AM   #4
Administrator

The card may be defective if it won't format in a card reader or your camera (and I'd try your camera's menu choice for format, too).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote