Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:28 PM   #11
Super Moderator

As shoturtle has mentioned. The 4/3 cameras are DSLRs, versus the m4/3. Therefore they use a much faster phase detect autofocus. Also adding to their speed is they use an optical through the lens viewfinder. This makes you able to see your target when you are panning or keeping up with action. The refresh times on the EVF/LCD does not allow this on the m4/3.

It is for these advantages that I suggested you think about adding an e620 to your arsenal, as well as the compatibility of using the 4/3 lenses on your m4/3 through the fully electrical adapter.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:22 AM   #12

Thank you Hards80 and Shoturtle. I guest E-620 is the lightest and most compatible in features to E-PL1 but having DSLR fast speed autofocus advantage. My FL-36R shall works on the E620 also.

Now is the lens I would like to have a 2.8f lens on zoom lens. Other than the 12-60mm 2.8 - 4 f olympus 4/3 lens, which will be the other lens I should have? Let it be Olympus, Pana or Sigma or even Tamron if any? Please suggest. If it is around the cost of the 12-60mm Olympus 4/3 lens, that is the budget for my next zoom lens.

Please give me some directions.

Thank you.
pchengws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:36 AM   #13

sigma 70-200mm 2.8 HSM is a good option, it is a fast lens, with macro. Good for action shots match with the e620. Or the Oly 50-200mm 2.8-3.5 swd, little bit more expensive. But for reach the oly 70-300mm.

But it would help to know what you else do you like to shoot?

Tamron does not make lenses for 4/3 or m4/3, only sigma.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 24, 2010 at 12:40 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 3:15 AM   #14

Sometimes I am confuse with using the adaptors. I understand using adaptor many other lenses can be used on M/43 camera if AF is not an issue or some lenses still provide the AF with the correct adaptor.

I normally shoot with family outing or grandchildren (not mine) type of parties or niece or nephew weddings, hoping that by the time come to my own children and grandchildren wedding and parties I can be a semi-pro by then.

My work need me to travel from time to time. So I only go for street shooting or tour type of shooting when I am out of Singaspore.

Once a year I will travel with my wife. Basically this is what I normally will shoot with my camera. Of course I am going to take up some courses and hope that I will learn up model and studio shooting too. Macro shooting is of interest to me but so far no real experience.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:28 AM   #15

The olympus or panasonic 4/3 adapter will work with the ep1, and will let you use the olympus 4/3 lenses with auto focus and metering. There are all the electric contact on the adapter for this.

Since you are interested in macro, you may want to get the olympus 35mm 3.5 macro, or the nicer olympus 50mm 2.0 macro with the e620.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:32 PM   #16

Hi, I looked at others showing the long zoom lenses on the small M43 bodies, I think I changed my mind. I will stay with the micro 43 body but lenses willing to stay largest on 4/3 lens, say Oly 12-60mm 2.8 f lens for weight, budget and length.

However, I still like to have the option to increase the zoom power. Adding the Teleconverter will it work and will it degrade the image very much. What could be the 'con' side of the story? I do not see any one mentioned about using the success using teleconverter or wideconverter on M43 lenses. All rather using heavy zoom lenses.

Any advice?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:39 PM   #17

Sometime TC will not allow the AF system to work on a dslr if it go pass f8. If you go the route of a TC that is something to keep in mind. If you want range and want to stay light, look at the panasonic 45-200mm. It will give you some added range. I just got one have been posting some test on the thread I link earlier. Or wait till october when panasonic's 100-300mm for m4/3 comes out.

There is another thread where another member is going to test some sigma 4/3 lenses on the olympus epl-1. If you are looking for a 2.8 or better, sigma 4/3 lenses may be an option.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 1:45 AM   #18

Thanks a lot Shoturtle. With our time difference, you do not sleep? Appreciate your advise come in promptly. Your explanation on the TC gives me very clear message. I will steer away from it.
1kg + weight is no issue with a young man but it definitely matters to an old man. I can not do hand held shooting with the weight. If I use tripod or monopod I think I will miss a lot of opportunities even with the family events.
I look for 2.8 f or better lens is merely because of DOF and do not want to invest in the same focal length lens twice for a larger aperture later. I am not fuzzy with the wide angle lens because I believe wide angle I need is to cover wide coverage with limited space, therefore, all sharpness is acceptable to me or to most of the guest. Have I made a wrong assumption on the wide angle lens too?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 5:39 AM   #19

Hi !
I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

kelly7898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 2:30 AM   #20

Any one can advise me how to load photo here? I do not have own URL. I do not use /facebook. Any other method for me to upload photos here? Thank you.