Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:45 AM   #1

Default New Member, E-P1 looking for next m43 camera

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum. I am a hobbyist and taking photography more serious now because I am planning my retirement next year.

I have bought Oly E-P1 because it has all the festures I need and most important the light weight. However I miss the built in flash with the E-P1. I bought Pan 20mm 1.7f lens to aviod bringing the FL-36R I have.

Now with the Oly E-PL1 and Pan G2 or GF1 camera, should I buy it or it is better to invest the money on better lenses? Any advise?

Thank you.
pchengws is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:53 AM   #2

If you like the light weight aspect, that factors out the G2. It is a bigger camera.

I just got a epl-1, and I love it. I have a thread with my impressions on this forum with some sample shots. If you are not into post production editing that much, the olympus has the best jpeg engine on the market. Also I ordered the olympus view finder for my epl-1 and it is has way better resolution then the panasonic one for the gf1. If you see yourself using a vf more then a lcd.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...mpression.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ar...round-nyc.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...5mm-3-5-a.html

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 19, 2010 at 12:58 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 3:38 AM   #3

Thank you Shoturtle,

I like the E-PL1 too, just that within half a year buying similar camera just because I am lazy to carry a bigger flash. This is what I am fighting inside me.

For the age and for the weight I really want to keep everything M43, but looking at the lenses, if I am getting more serious on photography, looks like I need to go out of M43 lenses. At least on the Four third lenses with 2.8 or larger aperture lens.

Would you agree?

I am reading about the DOF, on 14-42mm 3.5 - 5.6f kit lens I can get sharp (generally clear) and good color pictures but not the DOF that photographers are after. I am told that I need a larger aperture lens in order to get the result.

Of course the skill counts, but I am hoping with a better lens can give me the DOF more easier. Would you agree too?
Old Mar 19, 2010, 7:20 AM   #4

I would get an adapter to utilized the olympus 4/3 lenses with the 2.8. As the 4/3 lenses are pretty compact also.

Actually if you can get separation between your subject and the background you can get the shallow dof. I will be trying that out once my panasonic 45-200mm gets to me. Also you can get the panasonic 20mm 1.7, that gives you a pretty big aperture.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:57 AM   #5

I already have the Pana 20mm 1.7f lens. Will try it out this trip to Beijing visitiing a Solar factory. When I return will look into the next lens and or E-PL1.

I just wish there is a new M4/3 camera introduce by Nikon or Canon soon, so I can go buy a different body plus build up the lenses. I do not mind the 43 lenses. Will add those necessary adaptor(s).
Old Mar 21, 2010, 8:23 PM   #6

I do not think canon or nikon want to join the m4/3 consortium as they need to shear certain info between each other. Think that is why sony and samsung went a different route with their EVIL cameras.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:08 PM   #7
Super Moderator

you could also get a smaller 4/3 camera with a mirror for your 2nd body. so you could get the Olympus E620 for example, when you want to use the faster telephotos. also, most of the lenses for the regular 4/3 cameras like the 620 will still autofocus on your ep-1 with the adapter.

this may be a very versatile setup without as much redundancy.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
you could also get a smaller 4/3 camera with a mirror for your 2nd body. so you could get the Olympus E620 for example, when you want to use the faster telephotos. also, most of the lenses for the regular 4/3 cameras like the 620 will still autofocus on your ep-1 with the adapter.

this may be a very versatile setup without as much redundancy.
Thank you for the suggestion. I need to start looking at E620 and other Olympus 43 system and see how much I need to budget as my next camera. The features and the weight will still be my main concern. So far I did not spend time to look at 4/3 system at all. Just m43 camera was my plan.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:59 PM   #9

I check the E-3, E-620 & E-PL1 for comparison. Other than the shutter speed is faster on E-3 & E-620, the rest I do not see more advantage of the 4/3 over the M43 E-PL1.

I was excited for half a day until I read the comparison chart. Have I missed out something here when you say E-620 is a faster camera? The memory card also faster and it plays that much different?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:12 PM   #10

The E620 is a faster camera, the m4/3 are not suited for higher speed action. That is the realm of the DSLR. They have faster AF systems vs the contrast base systems employed by the m4/3 camera.

But if you add a 4/3 dslr to your line up, you will be able to shear your 4/3 lens with your m4/3 camera with the adapter. Letting you get those 2.8 lenses that will be brighter then the 4-5.6 that the kit zoom has. And you can add the 70-300mm to give you a 600m equivalent FF standard.