Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Jun 22, 2010, 1:26 PM   #1

Default Howdy from Georgia!

I've been lurking for awhile and have posted a few times in regards to my interest in purchasing my first DSLR camera. I am a complete "newbie" from Athens, Georgia.

I finally settled on my first DSLR setup. I chose to get the following as a bundle from Adorama.com:

Canon EOS T2i w/ the 18-55MM Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 ISTelephoto Zoom Lens

I have always wanted to take better photos and wanted to learn more. To date, I have owned two consumer point & shoot digital cameras as well as I own a Minolta 35MM film camera that was always used with all the automatic settings (Maxxum 7000 I think)

My primary use will be for fun, travel that will include landscapes, etc. I am also a huge UGA Football Fan (Go DAWGS!) and hope to capture some shots form games.

Now I need to decide which case to purchase and what other accessories I should add.

I look forward to learning and following all of you in the forums.
dawgfan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2010, 1:58 PM   #2
Administrator

Awww... You could have got a Sony dSLR and used your Maxxum lenses with it (all Maxxum lenses will work on a Sony dSLR model, and they'd be stabilized, thanks to the camera body based stabilization system. ;-) Keep in mind that Sony purchased all of Konica Minolta's camera related assets a while back, and Sony dSLR models use the same lens mount (Minolta Autofocus; a.k.a., Minolta A, Maxxum, Dynax, Alpha mount lenses). Most third party lenses (Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, Vivitar, etc.) in Maxxum mount also work with them and would be stabilized and still Autofocus.

Of course, I'm just "ribbing" you, as the T2i is a very nice camera, and has some features that you don't get with a Sony dSLR (like video recording). But, if you have some nice Maxxum lenses, you may want to see what they're worth (as virtually any Minolta Autofocus lens will work on any Sony dSLR model, including Autofocus, plus they'd be stabilized thanks to the sensor based stabilization system).

Maxxum 7000? That's a classic (Minolta's very first Autofocus SLR body). I've got a couple of Maxxum 7000 bodies (and both still work fine, even though they were manufactured in 1985). I bought them primarily to get the lenses they sold with for use with my Konica Minolta (and now Sony) dSLR cameras. For example, I found a Maxxum 7000 including a Maxxum 50mm f/1.7 Autofocus lens, 1800AF flash, manuals, case, and more for a "Buy it Now" price of $49 on Ebay a while back. I bought another one from http://www.keh.com including a Maxxum 35-70mm f/4 Macro Autofocus lens for about the same price. IOW, I found kits including a Maxxum 7000 with those lenses, for less than the lenses would cost by themselves. What can I say? I'm cheap, and sometimes you can find bargains that other buyers often overlook by looking for old SLR models that include a lens. LOL

Georgia, huh? Great State (not that I'm biased or anything, as you can see from the location in my profile).

P.S.

Welcome to the forums.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 2:05 PM   #3

Welcome to the forums, it's a really great place I have learned many things.
NoFlashPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 7:28 AM   #4

Good to know about the Minolta/Sony connection Jim. I don't even recall what the lens was as I only used the camera as a point and shoot. I intended then to learn more about photography but never did but I am determined now.

I doubt it is worth much as it was probably early 80s when I got it for Christmas one year.

Thanks all for the kind welcome.
dawgfan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 8:02 AM   #5
Administrator

If you only have one lens, it's probably either the Minolta 50mm f/1.7 or 35-70mm f/4 Macro. Those were the most popular kit lenses sold with the Maxxum 7000. They're not worth much on the used market (usually under $100 for either one), with the 50mm usually bringing a bit more than the 35-70mm. They also offered a two lens kit (including the Maxxum 7000 body, Maxxum AF 35-70mm f/4 and AF 70-210mm f/4). The Maxxum 70-210mm f/4 is worth a little more than the other two. You can see more about that camera here (it was introduced in January 1985):

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...um7k/index.htm

I've got two of them, and both should still work fine (I've shot rolls of film through both of them and had it processed since buying them used a few years back to get the lenses bundled with them).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote