Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Sep 16, 2010, 10:18 AM   #1

Default First shot with my new FZ 35

This is the first "official" shot I took with my FZ 35 from my rooftop!!! Official means...after going through the manual and trying to get a decent shot!! Am eagerly waiting for for some comments on how I could have got it better.
Attached Images

arindamghosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Firstly welcome to Steve's, secondly, man you have a great view from your rooftop, where in the world are you, I get the feeling you will have some great opportunities to shoot?

For a first real shot you are looking good. I think the processing would be the main area to work on, the shot itself is fine. You want a more balanced exposure between the sky and ground. The better way it to take two exposures and join them (tripod required), one correct for the sky and the other for the ground, or you can use a filter..... however, don't get worried about all that yet, you are off to a good start and there is a lot more to worry about first.

If you don't mind, here is a quick edit of what I was thinking, not exact as hard without an original to work from but you get the idea.
Attached Images

Old Sep 16, 2010, 10:49 AM   #3
Super Moderator

i agree with Mark. great first effort!

beyond his edit, which improved the color, i think you could crop some off the bottom, as the real interest here is the sky and not that foreground tree. maybe just below the fog line.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Firstly welcome to Steve's, secondly, man you have a great view from your rooftop, where in the world are you, I get the feeling you will have some great opportunities to shoot?

For a first real shot you are looking good. I think the processing would be the main area to work on, the shot itself is fine. You want a more balanced exposure between the sky and ground. The better way it to take two exposures and join them (tripod required), one correct for the sky and the other for the ground, or you can use a filter..... however, don't get worried about all that yet, you are off to a good start and there is a lot more to worry about first.

If you don't mind, here is a quick edit of what I was thinking, not exact as hard without an original to work from but you get the idea.
Sir, thank you very much for your encouraging comments. I stay at a hilly place in Rajasthan, India. I will definitely pay attention to post processing.
Regards.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i agree with Mark. great first effort!

beyond his edit, which improved the color, i think you could crop some off the bottom, as the real interest here is the sky and not that foreground tree. maybe just below the fog line.
Sir, I will try to edit the image as you mentioned. Thank you very much for your comments.
Regards
Old Sep 17, 2010, 1:25 AM   #6

Default Edited Picture

I edited the foto to add some more light to the dark areas...I can't remove the tree though!!! Comments awaited.
Attached Images