Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:12 PM   #1

Default dslr after Canon A-1

Hi-
I used a Canon A-1 for many years (vintage 1985, it served me very well), took a hiatus due to life invasion, and have finally returned to photography with my first DSLR -- I got the Canon EOS 60D with the kit EF-S 18-135/3.5-5.6 IS, and the EF 70-300/4.5-5.6 IS USM.
Gotta say, I found a ton of help on Steve's forum, without ever having to ask a question myself, on lenses and camera bodies for my photography interests, and a refresher on many photo concepts I had forgotten about. I am so appreciative of the many folks who chime in patiently with information and support. Thanks very much.

After playing with my new camera, I am extremely impressed with what a dslr can do. Rapidly realized that, while many things are the same, plenty are very different. Locations of auto focus points, for instance, messed me up on macro shots with shallow depth of field (but no waiting for my film to develop to see what I needed to learn).
I am quite amazed how slow the shutter speed can go with image stabilization, hand-held: love being free of the need for a flash for many indoor shots. This is a very positive change! The ability to adjust ISO without changing my roll of film, love this. And the Canon 70-300mm 4.5/5.6 zoom is great. Except that, even with the cropped sensor factor, I still want more reach outdoors with nature shots. (I know I am not unique in wanting more (and expensive) lenses)

Not ready to post photos for c&c though!

Thanks again for all the vicarious help thru the forum.
mlyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:39 PM   #2

I was in a similar position - bought an A1 when they first came out c.1980, and although I've had lots of compact cameras in the meantime, film and digital, finally took the plunge and went for a 5D about a year after they first came out. I got a lot of guidance from another photography forum, POTN.

I have 10 FD lenses that are now useless to me. How many do you have?
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 4:44 PM   #3

4 unusable FD lenses. Rather sad. Did you ever try to use an adapter?
mlyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 5:08 PM   #4

No. I researched them and decided it wasn't worthwhile.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote