Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Dec 18, 2010, 9:46 AM   #1

Default Hi from Cali!

Hi! I am Marie and I just bought a ( have to go and look ) an Olympus Stylus-7030.

HSN. Three easy payments.

Jim has already helped me as my computer was not recognizing my camera. He suggested I turn off my anti virus and firewall.

The man is very smart.
SweetPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2010, 7:19 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPoison View Post
Jim has already helped me as my computer was not recognizing my camera. He suggested I turn off my anti virus and firewall.
Only "temporarily" (to find out if something was restricting access to your camera via a USB connection). :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
...You may also have some type of anti-malware or firewall product preventing access to an external device. So, you may want to try disabling them temporarily if installing a newer version of the software doesn't work.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...ml#post1179421

I'd turn it back on now that you realize that Norton was causing the issue (or see if there is a way to add an exception to it so that you can access your camera via a USB Connection using it). If not, try a different solution for malware protection. There is too much malware being distributed not to be using some kind of protection. Personally, I use a variety of products (Avira Antivir, Finjin Internet Security, Comodo Firewall using their DNS Servers which blacklist sites found to host malware, noscript with Firefox, SuperAntispyware, Threatfire; and I scan with Malwarebytes from safe mode on a frequent basis.

I also scan my Windows partitions from Linux Live CDs on a regular basis. I use products like the Dr.Web Rescue CD (pretty good with some hard to detect root kits), Avira Antivir, Kaspersky and others (you can find Linux Live CDs from a number of anti-virus vendors for that purpose). That way (linux live CD based malware scanning product), I'm booting into a different operating system to perform the scan, as some root kits and master boot record malware can evade most scanners if you're booting into a potentially compromised operating system (your hard drive with Windows on it), since you're not loading anything from the drive being scanned when you boot into a Linux Live CD to scan it.

BTW, welcome to the Steve's, and please make sure to post some photos from your new camera when you get a chance. You'll find a variety of forums for different types of photos here (including friends and family, landscapes, wildlife, transportation, and more).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post

BTW, welcome to the Steve's, and please make sure to post some photos from your new camera when you get a chance. You'll find a variety of forums for different types of photos here (including friends and family, landscapes, wildlife, transportation, and more).
Thanks, Jim. I did turn back on my virus protection! I will post some photos from my new camera soon!

I joined a photo contest here, just now ~ the photo I entered was from my old Canon Power Shot that died last week.

Is that okay?
SweetPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:05 AM   #4
Administrator

Sure it's OK, and have fun with your new camera, too.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote