Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:11 AM   #1

Default Uploading Photos?!?

i am a little confused how to upload photos. all i see is the tiny icon of the mountain that lets you type in a link for another website but i don't want to do that. all i want to do is upload photos into the forums.

who ever is willing to help me, i appreciate it.

sorry i'm a newcomer.
dcaramia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:32 AM   #2
Administrator

When you're typing a new post, make sure you're using the Advanced Edit mode (there will be a button for it if you're not already that way), and you'll see a paperclip icon to the right of the font size choices that allows you to attach an image to a post here.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 7:11 PM   #3
Administrator

That sounds like either the file size or the image dimensions are too large for attaching to a post here.

When you use the Attachments manager (paperclip icon) to upload an image, you'll see the maximum allowed sizes shown by each file type on the screen that comes up with a browse button on it. For jpeg files, the file size should be no larger than 253KB (260,000 bytes), and the dimensions in pixels should be no larger than 1024 pixels on the longest side.

If it's larger than the maximum allowed sizes, the forums will attempt to downsize and recompress the image (and that will result in loss of quality), and will strip out the EXIF information in the image header (that contains camera settings used), to try and make the image "fit" within our maximum limits. But, if it's too much larger than the maximum sizes allowed, it may fail to upload.

So, it's a good idea to use an image editor to downsize your images first (making the longest side no larger than 1024 pixels), using a compression setting (JPEG Quality slider in most editors) that keeps the file size less than 253KB. Usually, a setting of around 80% JPEG quality is good enough to keep the file size small enough for uploading to our servers, provided the image size in dimensions is within limits (downsized so that it's no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side).

If you have the image hosted elsewhere, then we don't enforce those limits. For example, I noticed you made a post with an image being hosted on Flickr here (where you embedded it without uploading it to our servers):

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ph...-brownish.html

The way to repeat that is to use the icon you see and past the URL to the image into the box that comes up.

Or, you can simply use [img] in front of the link and [/img] after the link for it to show up in forums (so that you don't need to upload it to our servers first). That's known as using bbcode to embed an image in a post. See the first example on this page:

http://www.bbcode.org/examples/?id=10

But, we'd still prefer that it's not too large (since we have a lot of members that don't have high speed internet access and/or have to pay for bandwidth usage when browsing, and larger file sizes can make it harder to view posts here, increasing some members' page load times, bandwidth costs and more).

For example, the file size of the image you posted in the thread I linked to above is roughly twice as large as we'd normally allow if you wanted to upload it to our servers. It's 534,428 bytes, and we ask that members keep the file size no larger than 260,000 bytes. Because we don't automatically enforce the max file sizes when images embedded in posts are being linked to from another site, it still worked. But, if you try to use the paperclip icon to upload and store the image on our servers (instead of the mountain icon to embed an image hosted on a site like flickr in a post), it may or may not work (because the forums software may not be able to compress it enough to stay within our maximum allowed file sizes).

IOW, you'll want to downsize your images using an editor first, using a JPEG quality (a.k.a., compression) level that keeps the file size no larger than 260,000 bytes (253KB) for best results, with the dimensions no larger than 1024 pixels on the longest side.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 7:42 PM   #4
Administrator

P.S.

If you're using Windows, you may want to try the free Irfanview to resize your images.

After opening an image (File>Open), just go to the Image>Resize/Resample choice and make the longest dimension no larger than 1024 pixels (and around 800 is fine), making sure the box to retain aspect ratio is checked. Personally, I use the Lanczos algorithm for resizing (you'll see a drop down list of choices).

Then, after you resize the image so that the dimensions are smaller, use the File>Save As choice and give it a new filename (so that you don't overwrite your original), selecting JPG as the file type. When saving a JPEG file, you'll see a box pop up with a JPEG quality slider. I'd make it about 80% to keep the file size where it's not too large for an image with dimensions of around 800 pixels on it's longest side.

In order to prevent the forums software from modifying images, they must not be any larger than 1024 pixels on their longest side, and the file size should not be any larger than 253.9KB (260,000 bytes).

The forums software will also strip out the EXIF information if you exceed the limits we have set for the maximum allowed sizes here

So, even though the forums software will try to resize/recompress images if they're not too far over the limits, it's a bad idea to let it (unless you want softer images with no EXIF information in them).

You're much better off resizing them yourself before uploading them. Then, as long as they're within the limits for both file size and dimensions, the forums software will not modify them.