Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:28 PM   #1

Default new to site and looking to upgrade

Hi All,

I am new to the site and am looking to upgrade.
I currently use a Panasonic/Lieca FZ3. I like taking pictures and have gotten more into it after a recent vacation. My kids play fast moving sports (ice hockey, LAX, soccer) and haven't had the best of luck with photos here. There are just way too many choices out there.

Hoping to learn a lot.

Ross
rstrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:36 PM   #2

welcome,

with what you want to shoot you will need a dslr with a fast focusing lens. And depending on how good of a action setup you want. It can get expense.

Since sports is a concern I would look and canon if you are looking for a entry level dslr. And canon or nikon if you want a mid level dslr. So it comes down to budget.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:17 PM   #3

What do you think of the Nikon D3100?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:22 PM   #4

the fps is not that great. And the AF is form the d5000 so it is not as good as the canon's rebels AF.

For entry action dslr, the canon has the better action system, but that is only part of the solution. If you are shooting outdoor sports daylight. You can get away with the ef 70-300 IS USM or the Tamron 70-300 VC USD. These will add 450 dollars to the cost.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:32 PM   #5

Then there are the many close up shots of the small insects and things that I couldn't get on vacation.
Which manufacturer has the better image stabilization?
I want something as a first time dSLR buyer that will stay with me for a longtime without having to upgrade.
The video capabilities is a neat feature that we used on vacation...
I see the Canon EOS rebel; Nikon D5100, D7000; Pentax K-r?????
I guess budget wise I want to stay <$1000.
My problem with the FZ3 (12x optical zoom) I couldn't get the close up well. How does the PS zoom compare to the 18-55mm lens that often comes with the bodies?
Also, I have seen a 15-105mm lens on some of the camera bodies-does it make a difference?

I know, too many questions-but Its a lot of money and I only want to do this once.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:40 PM   #6

I would not hinge on IS, it is a feature that is nice to have, but for sports. You want to turn it off.

But the canon and nikon lens base IS is consider better then the pentax body base IS.

Canon T2i with the 70-300 either canon or the nikon for your budget. The d7000 is 1100 just for the body before any lenses.

For you close up, you have a expensive option or a inexpensive option. The kit lens 18-55 or the 70-300 are not great macro lenses, close up photography. You can get a true macro lens, adding at least 400 dollars. Or with the canon 70-300, get a canon 500D close up lens with a 58mm thread for 70 dollars. That will make that lens a good close up lens.

This is how close you can get to a small subject with the 500D
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/cl...e-up-lens.html
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:43 AM   #7

I would concentrate on one type of shooting at a time. If sports action is your priority, I would get setup for that first. Remember, if you're looking at sports like ice hockey, or basketball, etc., sports action is much more difficult because of generally poor lighting. Outdoors in bright sunlight is much easier. It's a whole new level of investment to get lenses that will perform well for sports action in low light situations. Plus, your camera body needs to have good high ISO performance & a reasonable frames per second capability. I would recommend that you list your priorities, make a budget on what you're willing to spend and then get as many of your priorties met as your budget will allow. Also keep in mind that you're buying a "system" and not just a camera. By that I mean that in order to continue to get value from your lenses, etc., you need to go with a brand/system that will grow with you as your skill and interest grows. If sports action is a "nice to have", but not a must, then your options expand exponentially.

It seems that there is a post very similar to yours (sports action of kids, low light situation) every couple of days. It really boils down to budget and willingness to spend the money on quality lenses once you've purchased a good camera body. I'm a Canon biggot, so I would probably recommend the T2i, for high ISO performance, or maybe go for a used 50D, for both frames per second and decent high ISO performance. Even then you're not going to get the indoor shots you're looking for without a "fast" lens.