Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:06 PM   #1

Default Problems with new Canon T2i

Hi there!

I am an amateur photographer and I am hoping someone can help me. I am feeling very frustrated with the Canon EOS T2i camera that I recently purchased. There are a few things that are not working for me and perhaps I am not doing something right. The following are the issues I am having:

1) When using the AF mode, in any setting it is Extremely slow to focus. I am missing out on shots always waiting for the auto focus to make up its mind. I am tempted to over ride this with the MF mode. Any suggestions to increase the speed? I should note I am just using a standard 55mm lens with image stabilizer.

2) Because the auto focus takes so long continuous shooting is never possible for me.

3) The continuous shooting is so slow when using the flash that I try not to use it whenever possible.

Any suggestions for me? my main concern is the auto focus, I am taking forever to take the picture when I sometimes just don't have the time.
christinebadding is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:10 PM   #2

some more info would e helpful, what was the lighting condition, and where you on the long end of the zoom or does it happen at 18mm also? Also what mode where you using?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 1:01 AM   #3

My first question was also what mode you're using - One Shot or AI Focus/Servo. Also whether your lens is proven (on another camera) or whether it could be faulty. I have a 7D rather than a T2i and I don't recognise your problem. In theory the body could be defective but I've never heard of this fault with any of the Canon 18mp bodies.

You say you have a "standard 55mm lens". Do you mean the standard kit zoom lens, which goes from 18-55mm? Otherwise I don't know of a standard 55mm lens.

Also, whether the lens simply doesn't find focus in short time or whether it hunts backwards and forwards.

I would try both body and lens with different partners. Did you buy the camera from a physical shop you can go back to, or mail/internet order?

Last edited by peterbj7; Jun 12, 2011 at 1:03 AM.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 8:12 AM   #4

Good morning, sorry, I should have provided more.

I have the setting set to One Shot, its a 18-55mm lens kit (also have a zoom lens and have same problem).

I have this problem with the auto focus in every mode I chose. Yesterday for example I was in AV mode, and a litle of the portrait mode, sometimes in a pinch I'll just use the automatic mode. It doesnt seem to matter which mode I'm in to be honest. I find it worse indoors. Yesterday was indoors, large room, lots of windows, tungsten lighting.......

Out of curiosity, what mode do you guys find that the continuous shooting works best in?

To answer your other question, it seems to hunt back and forth and takes awhile to finally lock into focus.

Last edited by christinebadding; Jun 12, 2011 at 8:46 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 9:31 AM   #5
Administrator

Do you have any filters on the lenses (Polarizer, UV, etc.)? If so, try removing them. Some filters can cause Autofocus Issues (not to mention that a Polarizer will cost you about 2 stops of light, depending on how it's rotated).

Are you using the Optical Viewfinder or Live View (using the LCD for framing)?

If you've got Live View enabled, Autofocus is going to be very slow with a T2i. For fast AF (phase detect versus contrast detect), do not use Live View with a T2i. Use the Optical Viewfinder instead. If Live View with fast AF is a must have feature, buy a Sony dSLR instead (only Sony dSLR models give you fast phase detect Autofocus using live view).

Is it still slow outdoors in good light (indoor lighting is often dimmer than it appears to the human eye)?

Reset the camera back to factory defaults if nothing obvious is wrong (like enabling Live Live where contrast detect focus is gong to be very slow, or using an off center AF point, etc.). You may have an odd setting combination causing your issues.

You'll find a "Clear Settings" choice in your setup menus. See this page for more info on settings:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...-menus-79.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:09 AM   #6

Thank you for your quick responses. I am going to test out some different scenarios today. I don't seem to remember it doing this outdoors.....

Is Auto Lighting Optimizer the same as D-Lighting?

I am using an UV filter.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:48 AM   #7
Administrator

Try removing the UV filter and see what you get. Although rare, I have seen cases where a UV filter can cause Autofocus problems. See this old thread for one example:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...tml#post964053

As for Canon's Auto Lighting Optimizer, it's probably something similar to Nikon's Active D-Lighting feature.

You'll see the same types of features from more than one manufacturer using different names.

For example, Nikon's "Active D-Lighting" and Sony's "Dynamic Range Optimization" features are both based on Apical Imaging's "Iridix" engine (Nikon, Sony and Olympus license this technology from Apical). See more about it here:

http://www.apical-imaging.com/iridix

I don't know if Canon's "Auto Lighting Optimizer" is based on Apical's technology or not (and it's no big secret that Nikon, Sony and Olympus license Apical Imaging's engines). But, even if it's not not based on Apical Iridix technology, Canon is probably using a similar technique to accomplish the same thing.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:43 PM   #8

You didn't respond to the question about Live View. That is critical - if you're using it you will get VERY slow autofocus. I don't know anyone with any of the Canon 18mp cameras who uses it other than on rare and very specific occasions.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 2:53 PM   #9

I have been using the LCD view finder every time.

I really wanna get comfortable with this camera, I just wish I had a few hours to spend testing everything. Hopefully this coming week.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 3:19 PM   #10

That is the problem, live view is very slow on dslr except for sony. I only use liveview when shooting static shots on a tripod. Go to the viewfinder. See it the AF is allot faster.