Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:50 PM   #1

Default Hello!

My name is Jeanne and I live in the woods in Central Oregon, USA; with my fiance, four cats, three pigs, two goats and a Basset Hound.

Until recently, I just had a Minolta X-570; Minolta SRT-101; and a Holga. Unfortunately, my two SLRs died (in the same week!) And my favorite photo shop, where I had all my negatives processed, closed down a couple of years ago (darned economy!) so I have no place local to develop my 120 film.

I've been using my cell phone to take pictures... Bad pictures... If you can even call them that... I got real sick of it.

I finally broke down and ordered a Kodak EasyShare C-182 point-n-shoot. It was within my price range. The next day, my fiance came home with a new Canon EOS Rebel T3 for me! Evidently he was sitting on some money that I didn't know about; and when I told him that I ordered the PNS, he decided to get me the DSLR for my birthday (coming up soon)! I was floored!

So, here I am... Not new to photography, but rusty because my SLRs have been dead for years (and when they died I was at an advanced-beginner level). So, I'm relearning how to take photographs and be creative. And I'm learning a new camera system.

In true addiction form, I didn't do school today... I played with my camera, instead... Bad bad bad...

Last edited by JeannieBug; Jul 25, 2011 at 1:20 AM. Reason: Removed extra word that didn't make sense.
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:58 PM   #2

nice present, it is a nice step up from a camera phone.

Just one thing to remember iso and asa film speed are pretty the same.

And welcome to steve's
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:22 AM   #3

Thank you for the welcome, shoturtle!

It is a HUGE step up! And a shock! But I'm lovin' it! As soon as the Kodak comes, I'll have another to play with!

I think I'll use the Kodak to take pictures of the goats. They're kinda rambunctious and I certainly don't want them knocking my Canon around! LOL
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:49 AM   #4

Welcome to Paradise, Jennie.

Jeff

FZ40 & FinePix J27,28,29
UJEFROCNROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 4:27 AM   #5

Thanks for the welcome, Jeff!
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:49 PM   #6

The Minolta SRT-101 and X-570 were my introduction to photography as well! It's taken me a while to break the 25 cent a frame mentality you get shooting film however. Welcome to the digital world.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:49 PM   #7

Thank you for the welcome, Bob!

I LOVED my Minoltas. LOVED. Especially that SRT-101! I swear, I could've probably used that thing as a hammer and then taken a picture with it! LOL Solid, solid cameras. I liked the X-570, but it wasn't completely mechanical, so it didn't have my true heart, like the 101 did. I used to do a lot of night shoots with long exposures (and sometimes in the winter)... Batteries are bad! LOL

I gotta say, I really like the instant feedback of the digital cameras... And I had pretty much stopped getting my film developed; only the negatives were done. I would scan the negatives and do my artistic manipulation and/or printing, right from my computer. I was considering creating a darkroom and developing my own film, but I never did. So, I was already doing all of my post-processing digitally, anyways. I guess it was a pretty natural transition for me.

And though I love my Canon, I'm still quite nostalgic... I'm just glad that this camera has full manual mode! But I'll admit, it doesn't do too bad in automatic mode; but that does absolutely nothing for my skills... LOL

And we'll see how it does with a long exposure, outside, at night, in the winter...