Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:00 AM   #1
Banned

Default hello!

hi. im helen and i am new here. I have a lot of passion for photography yet I want to improve myself more about it. I get so jealous of all the photographers out there who seem to do shots so perfectly. I have a nikon d60 and i know it's not that new but I still find it very useful. I want to take good shots and capture moments with different kinds of people and places.
helenbass2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:34 AM   #2

Welcome, Helen! You've found a great place. Everyone here is very friendly and helpful, so don't be afraid to ask for advice.
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:18 PM   #3

Helen,

Welcome to paradise.

Jeff

FZ40 & FinePix J27,28,29
UJEFROCNROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:57 PM   #4
Administrator

Hey Helen.

Do you remember typing in "yes" into the section labeled "Anti-Spam Question" when you registered this morning?

That section included explanatory text to help make sure new members understand that we do not allow our forums to be used for advertising. To refresh your memory, this is the text:

Quote:
Please enter Yes to indicate that you understand that you will be banned if attempting to promote businesses, products or services by posting links to them in your signature or posts. We do not allow advertising in our forums. Also note that we may filter all links to businesses being promoted by Marketing Companies in our Forums, when we see them posting links here. This helps to reduce repeat Spam promoting the same companies.
Yet, you decided to add this link to your signature:

free jealousy tips

Sorry, members can't see the your site's address since it's being replaced with **** (because all references to it are now being filtered by our forums software, no matter the member posting the link).

It doesn't appear in your signature anymore either. That's because you've been banned, and our forums software is setup to prevent signatures of banned members from appearing in posts.

I've also reported your post information to centralized anti-spam services used by a number of forums, so that your posts are more likely to be flagged for moderation by sites subscribing to those services.

So, the next time you decide to post a link to a site where the sole purpose appears to persuade readers to buy a book on jealousy for a bargain price of only $17, you may want to reconsider your marketing approach.

We do not appreciate spam here.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 2:36 PM   #5
Administrator

To other members reading this thread....

We delete a lot of similar posts and ban a number of new members every single day. If we didn't take some of the actions we do, the forums would be filled with posts from spammers joining just to promote their products and services.

Most of these posts come from only a few regions (not in the U.S.); and you can bet that their primary purpose for joining our forums is to promote their web sites and products, versus any significant interest in photography. In this case, it looks like the OP has been busy this month (setting up pages with links to the same site promoting a book on jealousy for $17). Google for the OP's member name and you'll find them. Then, just follow the links in the text on those pages.

I'm not going to post any of those links here, since that would only serve to help the OP's Search Engine Rankings. The main site being promoted is now being automatically filtered by our forums software anyway (even if I'm the one trying to post the links, unless I remove that site from a list we use for that purpose).

So, why am I leaving this thread? I do that from time to time in order to set an example for Spammers, and let them know if they ignore the warnings about using our forums for advertising, they can expect consequences, including having their posts flagged for moderation by a number of other forums that subscribe to anti-spam services (where e-mail addresses, member names, ip addresses, post content and more are checked against databases of known spammers).

Again, we do not appreciate Spam here; as removing it, banning the posters, filtering links when appropriate and reporting member information to anti-spam services when appropriate, all take up a lot of our time.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 2:47 PM   #6

Oh man! I didn't even notice her signature! LOL There's a sucker born every minute and I think I'm one of them... LOL
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 2:57 PM   #7
Administrator

Our forums tend to be a spam magnet, which is one reason I take the actions I do, and one reason I leave a few posts from time to time to set examples (so hopefully, word gets around that this is a bad place to post spam unless you want your posts flagged for moderation by sites subscribing to anti-spam services).

In this case, even the post wording appears to be designed to improve search engine rankings so that the site being promoted would get more hits. Note the part about "I get so jealous..." (bold added for emphasis). Keep in mind that the OP's web pages are designed to persuade readers to buy a book about jealousy. ;-)