Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:13 AM   #1

Default Konica Minolta Z5

Hello,
I just purchased a used Minolta Z5.
I've tried 2 new SD cards and 1 previously used SD card in it and am getting the message "unable to use card".
The manual inidcates to format the card in the camera, however while this message is on the screen I cannot use any of the buttons to get to the Format menu.

Any help is appreciated.
photonut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:10 PM   #2
Administrator

Hey photonut2

Welcome to Steve's.

Your camera is dated now, and it was designed and manufactured *before* the newer SDHC card standards were completed and adopted by camera manufacturers.

So, you'll need to stick with SD (Secure Digital) cards, *not* SDHC Secure Digital High Capacity) cards, since SDHC cards will *not* work in your camera..

I've seen some reports of compatibility problems with 2GB SD Cards in it, too. So, I'd probably try to find a 1GB or smaller Secure Digital card to use. But, 2GB SD cards are supposed to work in it according to the last compatibility chart published for it by Konica Minolta.

Again, an SDHC card is not going to work in it, period. Stick with SD (Secure Digital) cards instead.

You'll also need to make sure any card you use is formatted as FAT (not FAT32, as your camera does *not* support a FAT32 file system). 2GB or smaller cards usually come formatted correctly for your camera by default.

But, if you use Windows to format one in a card reader, make sure to select "FAT" from the drop down list of file system types, as your camera is not going to support FAT32.

Here's a utility you can use to format one:

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/

After formatting one using a PC (and you may not need to once you get you get the correct card type), I'd use your camera's menu choice for format before using it, just to make sure it's setup the way the camera wants it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:24 AM   #3

Thanks for the information. I checked with a camera store that's been around for a long time and they mentioned the card had to be 1GB or less.
I've tried every store to find a 1GB card with no luck.
I have an OCz 2GB SD card that I'll format as FAT. It is high speed (150x) though so may not work in this camera.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:04 PM   #4
Administrator

If formatting the 2GB card as FAT using a Card Reader doesn't work, use a card reader and try reformatting with the SD Formatter utility I mentioned above.

If that still doesn't work... I'd boot into a Linux Live CD with Gparted on it, then delete any partitions on the card and create a single 1GB FAT partition and format it as FAT and see if it works that way.

Try this one. If you reboot your PC into it, it should load GParted automatically. Then, select the SD card from the drop down list of drives it finds, delete any partitions on it, create a new 1GB FAT partition, format it as FAT, and leave the rest of the space on the SD card unused and see what happens. Be careful (it will default to your main hard drive, and you'll need to change the disk selection to the SD card).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gpar...6.iso/download

Here's a free tool you can use to burn it to CD. It will give you a new menu choice to "Burn Image to CD/DVD" if you right click on any .iso file from within Windows Explorer:

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm
Old Jul 30, 2011, 2:24 PM   #5

Well, the good news is that they look like they're pretty inexpensive cards! Here is my Google Shopping search results:

http://www.google.com/search?q=1gb+s...w=1024&bih=583

BTW, my local camera shop closed down. So, besides Walmart, I have no place local to shop for stuff. I feel your pain. I do a lot of my shopping online now.

Last edited by JeannieBug; Jul 30, 2011 at 2:25 PM. Reason: To express empathy.
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:55 PM   #6

Thanks for all the information.
It doesn't appear as though my last post is showing up here. I must have done something wrong.
I did purchase another SD Card that is not high speed and formatted it with SD Formatter. I still got the "Cannot Access Card" message on the LCD display.
I have since found a store that had a 1GB Micro card (with adapter). This did work.

It is interesting that the company indicated that it is compatible with 2GB cards when it doesn't seem to be.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:23 PM   #7
Administrator

Well... sometimes they have no way to test compatibility when a camera is designed, because larger card sizes may not have been shipping yet.