Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:44 PM   #1

Location: north eastern Michigan in a cedar swamp with DH and Luna and Ziggy
Default Me and My Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8

Hi from northeast Michigan's lower peninsula!

After a couple scares when my lens froze up (after a day at the beach; never do THAT again!) and fruitlessly searching for a replacement on line, I'm back taking photos practically non-stop once I somehow managed to get the lens working after a lot of weird and scary "fixes". Suffice to say it's been working over a week now so I am making up for lost time, playing with stuff I didn't even know the camera had, like sepia and B&W options.

Many, many years ago my trusty Minolta XGM and I took lots of photos all over the place, when it's shutter died for the 3rd time I decided not to have it repaired yet again and entered into the world of digital photography with a Fujifilm Finepix 1300. It was an okay little camera (and as it did not have a moving lens would probably have been a better option for the beach, had I been a beachier person then) but I missed the manual operations of my old XGM. So in Dec 2008 I sprung for my LZ8, (half the price of the Fuji!) sight unseen (there are NO camera stores within a 2 hour drive here) because of it's "play-ability".

I love this camera, the only thing I wish it had was better low light capability since my dogs seem to do the cutest things indoors, (okay, and a little less shutter lag, but since I discovered burst only a week ago, no biggie!!) I find it sad that it took me over a year and a dead-lens scare to get things rolling again, but it's great to be out shooting again. And as I am pretty sure this website was one that assisted me in buying my camera (though I found an old review and can't believe you guys only gave it a C+?!!!) I thought I'd join the forums and get some tips and post some pix.

Seems like a very friendly, helpful place.
MIMudPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:45 PM   #2
Administrator

Hey MIMudPuppy

Welcome to Steve's. So, you wore out the shutter 3 times on the XGM, huh? That must have meant you shot a lot of film through it, unless that particular model's shutter design was flawed. :-)

Hopefully, the LZ8 freezing up on you was just a "fluke" and it will continue to serve you well. If not, and it "bites the dust" at some point, you'll find a newer model that works as well or better for you.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:35 PM   #3

Thanks for the welcome JimC.

Yeah that XGM and I took a lot of pictures, I've got boxes and boxes full of prints. The shutter began failing late in its life, I think it was just getting tired. Fatigue failure maybe? It and its lenses are in my closet though; doubt I'll ever get rid of it.

When I thought my LZ8 was toast I must have read dozens of review but just couldn't find the mix I wanted. Unless I dump my desire for AA batteries. But if this survives for now I may just get myself one of those all weather point and shoots for the beach and kayaking. For now though, my LZ8 and I shall persevere.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:44 PM   #4

Welcome to the forums!

I'm finding it quite an adjustment (both good and bad) entering the realm of dSLRs. Both of my Minolta SLRs decided that they weren't going to allow their shutters to fire anymore, too. I was on a long photography break, between them not working and getting my new Canon (a week ago?). So I'm re-learning photography and learning a new camera. But it's fun!

Glad to have you and can't wait to see your pictures!
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:21 AM   #5

I've been playing with my macro a lot the past few days. I'm rather pleased with this one, I know I have a lot to learn still. If I really start getting back into this I may have to think about dSLRs but not until I know I'm going to stick with it again.