Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Sep 8, 2011, 12:52 PM   #1

Default Greetings chaps n chapesses

Good Evening from Lancashire, England.

sorry to jump in straight away, but I'd appreciate any pointers that the members can offer.

I usually use Canon DSLR kit, which is all well and good for normal everyday stuff but when I want to take my trusty trail bike out for a ride then they're a bit on the bulky side.

I used to take with me a most trusty Canon G2 (yeah that show's how long I've been into digital) but that finally died when it had just passed ten years of age. My folks had a FujiFinePixF40fd, which I sort of borrowed as and when needed but the bloody thing packed up in no time (usual fault - zoom error). So a mate, who worked for Kodak said to try one of theirs. Yep you've guessed it that died in no time. And the same for another example that came my way.

So my question is, can anyone recommend a compact camera that'll withstand normal use in a bike jacket (in a padded case), that has real manual capabilities, that has some form of a zoom lens (prefer internal) and won't turn turtle in no time?

Or an I asking too much?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards

The Cameraman
The Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2011, 1:28 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to Steve's.

Bad luck perhaps? There are a number of shock and water resistant cameras designed for harsher environments that may hold up better. For example, the Canon DX10, Fuji FinePix XP30, Olympus Tough TG-810 and TG-610 (as well as some older Olympus Tough Series Models), Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3, Pentax Optio WG-1 and Sony TX10.

But, it doesn't look like those have manual exposure. If you can get by using Auto or Programmed Auto modes with a pocket camera, you may want to look into some of those models and see if one of them may be a good fit.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 10:51 AM   #3

While they don't have "tough" specifications, the Canon PowerShot S90 or PowerShot S95 sound like they might fit the bill: "compact camera that'll withstand normal use in a bike jacket (in a padded case), that has real manual capabilities, that has some form of a zoom lens".

That, or the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 or the Olympus XZ-1.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 11:35 AM   #4

Hi Chaps,

thank you kindly for your replies.

Regards

The Cameraman
The Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote