Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Nov 6, 2011, 6:11 PM   #1

Default Maxxum 7D drivers

Hi everybody, I'm new here and need some help locating drivers for the Maxxum 7D. The links I'm finding all seem to be broken. I'm also looking for the software app to view the images. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
jwhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2011, 6:55 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to Steve's.

You don't really need any drivers if you're just trying to see JPEG files shot by it. Your camera can be set to shoot only RAW, RAW+JPEG (so you get both), or only JPEG (with different quality settings available). See this page of our Maxxum 7D review here for some of those options:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...review-16.html

If you mean RAW files, you'll find lots of software capable of viewing and converting them, including a lot of free software.

For example, I've owned a Maxxum 5D for a number of years (got it right after it was released), and I've yet to even try the software that came with the camera, not even once (i have never bothered to install it, since it never got very good reviews for converting raw files).

If you just need to copy the images from the camera, set the Transfer mode you'll find in the Setup menu to "Data Storage", and it will look just like any other USB Attached drive to most modern Operating Systems (you'll see it under "My Computer" or "Computer" that way and can view it's folders and copy anything you want from it, just as if it's a physical hard drive; and no special drivers are needed to copy images from it). This setup menu screen (Transfer Mode should be set to "Data Storage" so that your Operating System will treat it as a removable disk drive when it's attached).

Or, use a card reader instead (that's what I do with my cameras).

But, there are a number of free image editors around that support conversion of raw files (files ending with a .mrw extension from your Maxxum 7D) if that's what you mean. You don't need Minolta's software for that purpose. For example, even the free Google Picasa should be able to let you see your RAW files; or try something like the free Photoscape in a simple to use free editor that can convert your raw files; or try some of the other free ones around with more raw conversion features like Raw Therapee

There are *many* others around, too (both free and commercial products).

But, for jpeg images, you don't need any special software (most any image viewer can read them just fine). RAW files are proprietary to a camera and must be converted into a usable format, which the software that shipped with the camera could do. But, the free products I mentioned above can handle that for you (as can many others), and the Minolta software wasn't very good at it compared to some of the other products around anyway by most accounts.

What Operating System are you using (Windows XP, 32 bit or 64 bit Vista or Win 7, OS X, etc.)?

You'll also find codecs that allow Windows Explorer, Windows Live Photo Gallery and other Windows Imaging Component type applications to recognize raw files from your camera. For example, you can install Microsoft's free codecs from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en....aspx?id=26829

For a 32 bit version of Windows (XP SP2 or higher, 32 Bit Vista, 32 bit Win 7), you'd use the downloading ending in x86.msi. For 64 bit versions of Vista or Win 7, use the download ending in amd64.msi.

If you've got XP, it's likely 32 bit. If you're running Vista or Win 7 and don't know, "right click" on Computer and select the Properties choice, then in the section labeled "System Type" and it will tell you if your version of Windows is 32 bit or 64 bit.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 11:29 AM   #3

Thanks very much for the information, I'll be checking it out shortly. The Picasa worked great! Now I have another issue. I don't know how this happened but the display language switched to Chinese after changing out the battery pack. Never happened before. How do you reset the language to English? No worries I found it.

Last edited by jwhalen; Nov 7, 2011 at 1:20 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:11 PM   #4
Administrator

The language choices will be on the same setup menu page as the Transfer Mode menu choice (see the screen capture in my first post to this thread and you'll see a language menu choice). If you look at the menus in our review here, that should help you find the right screen in the menus so that you'll be able to figure out where it is. Basically, the Language menu choice would be fourth menu choice on the first Setup screen (setup page 1 with a wrench icon). Here's the review page including that menu screen:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...review-17.html
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:26 PM   #5

Thanks very much for all your help, these links will prove very useful.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:15 PM   #6
Administrator

I've had that problem with a camera before (language changing to something other than English). So, knowing what screen and what menu choice to change can come in handy, since you can't read them to tell what the language choice is. :-)

So, just look for the first setup screen with the wrench icon at the top, and the 4th choice down should be for Language.