Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:52 PM   #1

Default D5000 issues with focused/birght photos

Hello everyone. I love to take pictures...mainly of my little boy. Everything I know about my camera and photography has been self-taught...which is why I probably need some help.

I have had the D5000 for a couple of years now. It normally works very well. Lately, I have noticed my flash is not firing when set on auto mode. Some of my pictures appear grainy when I know the lighting is just fine. I have played around with my camera settings a lot over the past couple of months and I think I have changed something that is messing up the quality of my pictures. I have tried to reset custom settings, but that hasn't helped the issue. The image size is set to Large. I have the ISO setting on either auto or 250.

I really need some info on what my basic settings should be or what I should look for that I have possibly changed in error.

Thanks in advance
jfphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:38 PM   #2
Administrator

When you reset Custom Settings, that only resets a small subset of your available settings, and doesn't reset many things that may be causing odd image quality issues (exposure and flash compensation related settings, drive/release mode settings, etc.)

I'd use what Nikon calls a "Two Button Reset" instead so that you reset those kinds of things. Basically, you press the Info button (right behind the shutter button), and i button (by the LCD on the lower left) and hold down both at the same time for more than 2 seconds. You'll see a tiny green dot by both buttons. That should reset everything back to factory defaults for you. See the instructions for a two button reset on page 78 of this manual (it's actually the 96th page of the .pdf):

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/dslr/D5000_en.pdf

If that doesn't fix your problems, I'd start a thread in our Nikon dSLR Forum and post a sample photo for users to look at so they can see the EXIF information (making sure you downsize the image so that it's no larger than 253.9KB with it resized so that the longest side is no larger than 1024 pixels so that the forums software doesn't try to recompress it, which will strip out EXIF information with settings).

BTW, Welcome to Steve's
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:45 PM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

I just noticed your other thread and removed it as a dupe (since you thought that this one didn't go through and posted the same thing again). This post went through. It was only delayed, as sometimes posts from new members get flagged for moderation, which is what happened. So, I approved it and replied at the same time.

Please let us know if resetting it back to factory defaults solves it for you (using a two button reset). I suspect it will (as some kind of setting change you've made like drive mode in continuous versus single shot, or a flash related setting is probably causing your problems).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2012, 9:44 PM   #4

Default reset

Hi! Thanks so much...I did the reset tonight so we will see tomorrow if it worked....
jfphotos is offline   Reply With Quote