Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:09 AM   #1

Default kingston sd card problems

Hi I am here for some sensable help!!!! I have 2 Nikon camera's one is 10 years old a small coolpix 5200, it has been great and becasue it was geting a little tired in the lenz dept, I thought I would treat myself to a new Nikon P510. Now returning to the 5200 briefy I had bought a KINGSTON 2GB SD card whilst in Maderia, after taking about 30 photographs the card came up with a message stating the card was no longer working. I reverted back to an older card. So here we are 4 years later and I bought the new P510 1 month ago, everything was perfect, I was taking Macro pictures, and sunset pictures, all was good, THEN last Thursday y husband & I went on the Orient Express, in the camera my BRAND NEW SD card, unfortunatly a KINGSTON, but I thought it couldnt happen again, as all the reviews had been good.

After taking 60 photographs, a message THIS CARD CANNOT BE USED I am deverstated, all my lovely photographs gone. I have a sd reader, nothing, I found a web site that if I pay $40 I can look at photographs from the Maderia SD card, but hasnt even managed to read the new card.

Is there ANYONE ANYWHERE that can shine a light on this??? I did nothing but take photographs, now I wish I hadnt of wasted my money on the camera, that I thought I would have great photos of our special day.
Denny58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Administrator

Follow the directions in this post for using free software available to recover your images from it. photorec (the software suggested in this post) can ignore the underlying file system entirely (whereas many recovery programs still rely on it) to try and find and copy your images from it.

Recovering Images or Video from Memory Cards

As long as the card is still recognized in a card reader (even if the files are not seen because of file system corruption), you can probably get the images from it (chances are, the file system is just corrupted and the card is still OK).

If it doesn't work, there are other techniques for getting the data from it using free tools (for example, making a block by block copy of the card and writing to a disk image file, then recovering the images from the disk image). That's a bit more involved, but still doable if the card's controller isn't dead (and chances are, it's not). Let us know if photorec works for you (following the steps in the post I just linked to) first. Then, we can go from there.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:43 AM   #3
Administrator

After recovering your images from it (and make sure you can see the full sizes images, not just the thumbnails), I'd format the card again. Try this software to do that in a card reader:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

Then, make sure to format the card using your camera's menu choice for format, too.

Personally, I do that before every card reuse (format it again using the camera's menu choice for format). That way, it's formatted just the way the camera expects it (since the camera is performing the format), and I always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table) to reduce the chances of unnoticed corruption causing problems later.

Formatting using the camera's menu choice for format before each reuse is just as fast (or even faster) than deleting the images on it anyway, since you're just creating a new FAT (which acts as an index keeping track of your file locations), versus overwriting the entire card.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:47 AM   #4

Hi Jim, Thank you for all the information, sadley it is not readable, I even took it to the local photographic shop and it closed his machine down, I telephoned KINGSTON Technology, and they said no good so a perfect day sadley goes unrecorded.
Denny58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:46 AM   #5
Administrator

If they're real important, send it to these guys.

http://recoverfab.com/

They can bypass a defective controller and read the data directly from the NAND Flash memory in the card. Cost should be approx. $125 for a 2GB Card:

http://recoverfab.com/price.php