Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:57 PM   #1
Banned

Default Hi from newbei

Hi
My name is Odri
I'm from Israel. I'm second year student of a medical college also I work part time at ********* http://*********.com/
Photography is my huge hobby, I'm proud owner of nikon d3300

Thank you
Odri
Odri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:13 AM   #2

Welcome on board !
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:56 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odri View Post
Hi
My name is Odri
I'm from Israel. I'm second year student of a medical college also I work part time at ********* http://*********.com/
[snip]
I see that you've been very busy over the past couple of days, as I've found virtually identical forum threads stated with the subject of "Hi from a Newbie", with the text "I'm from Israel. I'm second year student of a medical college also I work part time at..." [site name and web address now filtered in all previous and future posts by our forums software] on a number of other web sites discussing forex trading, games, and much more.

Sorry. But, we do not tolerate spam here. So, please promote that business and their web site some place else (as I see you've already been doing in the forums hosted by a number of web sites, joining them using more than one member name).

You may call it "working part time". But, when you start joining the forums hosted by multiple web sites and posting links to a business and their web site (often resulting in that site getting more page views, with it showing up higher in search engine rankings because it's being linked to by other sites), and I see you've been busy starting forum threads with links to it over the past couple of days, you'll find that practice is commonly referred to as Forum Spam.

Forum Spam is not well tolerated by many forums, including this one. hence you are now banned from posting here, and all links to the web site you're promoting are being filtered by our forums software in past and future posts.

Your post here has also been reported to anti-spam engines that are subscribed to by other forums, to help insure that your posts are flagged as potential spam going forward.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:37 PM   #4
conor

Well done Jim! Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:11 PM   #5

This guy is not welcome on board anymore.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:32 PM   #6
Administrator

You meant well (welcoming this poster to the forums). That's a good thing, as not enough members (including me) take the time to properly welcome new members so that they feel at home here.

Unfortunately, in this case, the poster thought they’d be able to get away with promoting a business and posting links to their web site. I see this kind of thing often, so I have a habit of looking for it, and in this case, my research 'panned out".

When I see links to a commercial (business) web site in a new members' posts here, more often than not, it's spam, and they are making similar posts on other forums, too (as I discovered in this case). ;-)'

In most cases, I ban the poster and remove their posts, so that nobody knows what happened. But, from time to time, I tend to set an example and leave the offending post in place. (like I did in this case).

So, hopefully. other posters like the OP will understand that they are going to tarnish their reputation when posting forum spam (especially since their post content, user name, IP addresses and more are now being tracked by anti-spam services), and will learn their lesson going forward and stop trying to use forums to promote businesses.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:37 AM   #7

Appreciate your being vigilant.