Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:59 AM   #1

Default Hello, I am new

Greetings!

I opened this thread, because I would like also say hello.
I am Daniel, fan of photography, painting and Photoshop. Joined this forum, because there are a lot of interesting content in this community and because I have a few questions concerning camera portrait lenses and how to choose it.

https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/portrait-lenses

Also I like travelling and make landscape photos. This year I want to visit Iceland and take photos of Vik village where the beach with black sand in situated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A...AD_M%C3%BDrdal
Also I like music. Thanks and good luck!

Last edited by Foxter; Jun 7, 2018 at 8:29 AM.
Foxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:32 PM   #2

G'day Daniel - and welcome

I'm sure that you will continue to find Steve's a wonderful source of information and encouragement

Portrait lenses- well as each of us reading this thread all come in different shapes & sizes, so do portrait lenses. It comes down to what sort of portrait stuff do you want to do & under what circumstances

Back in film days, the recommended lens for portrait work was the 85mm [ie: about 1-1/2x mm's to the everyday 'standard' lens. The reasoning behind this related to the visual foreshortening of the facial features [nose vs ears] that comes about when using the everyday standard lens filling the frame with the face

If your camera today is an APS sensor, this suggests a 35mm for the 'everyday' lens and a 50mm for portraiture

If you intend to shoot portraits in a studio, then you might find the 50mm does the job nicely ... and equally you might find that a short zoom with 50mm in its range will work okay as well

If you intend to do lots of outdoors portraiture then a longer lens might suit better - as it will enable you to create blurry backgrounds via using both the longer focal length plus a wide open aperture

So regrettably - there is no magic answer here ... you need to experiment a bit with your existing lenses and your current photo style to get a good handle on your style of portraiture and then things will fall into place easier

Hope this helps
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote