Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   What Camera Should I Buy? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/)
-   -   [Recovered Thread: 71363] (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/%5Brecovered-thread-71363%5D-69514/)

Oct 19, 2005 11:07 AM

Hi Steve - and everybody,

I have been on a quest lately for my first digicam. Did a lot of research, but it appears to me that the camera I want does not exist! I am not a serious photographer, I guess I fall into the beginner or family category. I would appreciate any help or opinions about:

1. digicam: ultracompact (preferred) or compact, point and shoot, wide-angle lens (min 28 mm equivalent), min 3x optical zoom, min 4 MP, large LCD- min 2.5 inch, under US$300
- not interested in manual features - all automatic is fine for me
- but very interested in high quality pictures

I short-listed 3 cameras that had a lot more than I want, but if I wanted the wide-angle lens I had to have the other stuff too. Unfortunately, I then realized that their LCDs were too small - something I really cannot accept, since I have sight problems!

2. I've discovered the Samsung A55W and L55W (this one is a bit too expensive).
But I cannot find any review and/or rating for either, only announcements and specifications.
- anybody knows of a review for either of these digicams?
- anybody has or has had any of these digicams? opinions?
- why is it that in many places I found on the Net, the wide-angle feature of the A55W is not even mentioned?!?
- I know that Samsung is not among the 'great' brand names in photography - should I trust the A55W to produce qood quality pictures?

With heartfelt thanks in anticipation,

Ily

Nov 1, 2005 11:21 AM

Hi i am just in the same situation but i have already order it, I took the risk in buying th a55w and i would like to know the same info.

Nov 1, 2005 11:22 AM

can anyone answer ?

tantor Nov 7, 2005 8:00 AM

I'm in the same position.

I am an amateur and want a (preferably) compact digital zoom camera with a wide-angled lens (equivalent to 28mm on 35mm cameras).

I have been searching for info on the Samsung L55W but, like others, have only found the manufacturer's specs but no user opinions or professional reviews.

If not for the wide-angle rquirement, it would be so easy to choose a camera but I think wide-angle is important (I'm always having trouble trying to fit enough in with my existing Konica KDZ400, particularly with indoor shots) and very few seem to support it.

A shop suggested the Canon S60/S70 which are reviewed on this site.

If anyone has any further suggestions, or any user info on the Samsung L55W, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

LadyhawkVA Nov 7, 2005 10:00 AM

If the only real obstacle is the lack of wide angle capacity (common to many digital cameras), you could consider the option of taking a couple of pictures and then stitching them together into a wider angle shot using software. Some cameras even have a "panorama assist" mode that helps you line up the shots properly. Otherwise, just take several shots, allowing 25-35% overlap and let the software put them together for you. If you look through the various forums here at Steve's you'll see lots of stitched wide-angle and even panoramic shots. Alternatively, you can buy wide-angle adaptors. Again, browse through Steve's forums as there is a wealth of information on these topics. I would caution you to check into these options before sinking your money into a camera that may not really be worthwhile in the long run. There may be a good reason why nobody has bothered reviewing the cameras you're looking at - they may not be worth the effort to test and review.

Nov 7, 2005 11:39 AM

That is terrible

Nov 9, 2005 11:16 AM

Does anyone ownan a55w????

Nov 14, 2005 4:13 PM

hey

does samsung has a nice digicam???

it seem nobody likes samsung cameras

i have checke the spec for a55w and L55w and they seem to be nice dicams but no body has written a single review

Nov 15, 2005 6:16 PM

machoman wrote:
Quote:

i have checke the spec for a55w and L55w and they seem to be nice dicams but no body has written a single review

Why ??? :mad:

Nov 16, 2005 10:33 AM

:cry:strange enough.... have been googling for several weeks now, but found nothing really useful. Just a few high res pics from asia, this rating http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...;opinion=27697, this useless mini-review http://www.reviewtime.co.uk/productview-634.html(bottom), another fake review and one user opinion that Ilost the link to - but there was also nothing specially useful to me. I only rememberabout not having the possibility to use the zoom while yourecord a movie. Even the original test shots from samsung seem like fake because some are taken in >5 Megapixel resolution (couldn't find that function described anywhere...).

Dear a55w owners!Please help making us happy again!:dude:

Michael