Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   What Camera Should I Buy? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/)
-   -   16:9 Pics & Movies capable compact camera (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/16-9-pics-movies-capable-compact-camera-78795/)

SneakForce Jan 24, 2006 9:04 AM

Hello,

I'm looking for a compact camera that is capable of 16:9 ratio on both Pics and Movies.

The Sony T9 can do 16:9 setting on pics but not on the movies.

P.S.
I don't need the movies in full 1920x1080 pixels, just the ratio - as 640x480 seems to be cream of the crop with these compact cameras video abilities.

Thanks for your time & help,

Tom

rudyp Jan 25, 2006 7:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Panasonic LX1 does 16x9 stills and video its a great little camera

Hards80 Jan 26, 2006 12:11 AM

i just received my lx1 as well..

i haven't had much time for a real test.. but initial impressions are that the build quality is among the highest i have seen for any digicam short of my 20d.. the lens is sharp corner to corner.. the ois works really well.. the zoom is smooth with a LOT of stops, almost seemless.. the controls are the best i have seen on a camera this small.. the jog stick is really handy..

as with any small sensor with 8mp of resolution.. noise is something that can be a problem.. BUT, the image stability lets you use a lower ISO at the same shooting conditions..

if you shoot .jpg, noiseninja,ISOx pro, etc do a real nice job of cleaning up images.. making iso 200 very good, and iso 400 good enough for medium sized prints.. if you shoot RAW, then i can make 200 look excellent and can squeeze a few more inches out of ISO 400..

leaving the technicals aside.. the camera is just a joy to use and is FUN!

"-dustin

Caelum Jan 26, 2006 12:15 AM

Sanyo's just announcedXacti HD1 does 16:9 720p MPEG-4 video, not sureif it does 16:9 stills? (could just crop?)Akihabara News has a blog entry about it with video.

Hards80 Jan 26, 2006 12:24 AM

yea.. what is good about the lx-1 is the 16x9 is the full sensor, it is not crop.. thanks for reminding me..

mtclimber Jan 26, 2006 1:32 PM

hards-

Congratulations on your new LX-1. It is a camera that I have also considered. I will be interested to read your ongoing comments as youbecome morecomfortable with the camera.

Thanks also for your many excellent posts on the forum. I always watch for them.

MT

Hards80 Jan 26, 2006 5:03 PM

MT-

i will be sure to keep a running commentary with picture examples as i have them available.. i am hoping to have a lot of travel pictures to show off after next week.. and i plan to shoot some RAW and some JPG for reference, as well as process the RAW in both rawshooter prem and cs2, should be a good "Real world test".. will post these examples in the Panasonic section.

-dustin

rudyp Jan 26, 2006 11:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hers another shot with the LX1

rudyp Jan 26, 2006 11:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more LX1 shot

mtclimber Jan 26, 2006 11:43 PM

Very impressive, thanks for posting them, Rudy!

MT