Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   What Camera Should I Buy? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/)
-   -   16:9 Pics & Movies capable compact camera (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/16-9-pics-movies-capable-compact-camera-78795/)

SneakForce Jan 24, 2006 8:04 AM

Hello,

I'm looking for a compact camera that is capable of 16:9 ratio on both Pics and Movies.

The Sony T9 can do 16:9 setting on pics but not on the movies.

P.S.
I don't need the movies in full 1920x1080 pixels, just the ratio - as 640x480 seems to be cream of the crop with these compact cameras video abilities.

Thanks for your time & help,

Tom

rudyp Jan 25, 2006 6:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Panasonic LX1 does 16x9 stills and video its a great little camera

Hards80 Jan 25, 2006 11:11 PM

i just received my lx1 as well..

i haven't had much time for a real test.. but initial impressions are that the build quality is among the highest i have seen for any digicam short of my 20d.. the lens is sharp corner to corner.. the ois works really well.. the zoom is smooth with a LOT of stops, almost seemless.. the controls are the best i have seen on a camera this small.. the jog stick is really handy..

as with any small sensor with 8mp of resolution.. noise is something that can be a problem.. BUT, the image stability lets you use a lower ISO at the same shooting conditions..

if you shoot .jpg, noiseninja,ISOx pro, etc do a real nice job of cleaning up images.. making iso 200 very good, and iso 400 good enough for medium sized prints.. if you shoot RAW, then i can make 200 look excellent and can squeeze a few more inches out of ISO 400..

leaving the technicals aside.. the camera is just a joy to use and is FUN!

"-dustin

Caelum Jan 25, 2006 11:15 PM

Sanyo's just announcedXacti HD1 does 16:9 720p MPEG-4 video, not sureif it does 16:9 stills? (could just crop?)Akihabara News has a blog entry about it with video.

Hards80 Jan 25, 2006 11:24 PM

yea.. what is good about the lx-1 is the 16x9 is the full sensor, it is not crop.. thanks for reminding me..

mtclimber Jan 26, 2006 12:32 PM

hards-

Congratulations on your new LX-1. It is a camera that I have also considered. I will be interested to read your ongoing comments as youbecome morecomfortable with the camera.

Thanks also for your many excellent posts on the forum. I always watch for them.

MT

Hards80 Jan 26, 2006 4:03 PM

MT-

i will be sure to keep a running commentary with picture examples as i have them available.. i am hoping to have a lot of travel pictures to show off after next week.. and i plan to shoot some RAW and some JPG for reference, as well as process the RAW in both rawshooter prem and cs2, should be a good "Real world test".. will post these examples in the Panasonic section.

-dustin

rudyp Jan 26, 2006 10:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hers another shot with the LX1

rudyp Jan 26, 2006 10:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more LX1 shot

mtclimber Jan 26, 2006 10:43 PM

Very impressive, thanks for posting them, Rudy!

MT

SneakForce Jan 27, 2006 12:54 AM

Thanks for everyone getting back on this one.

I think I'll get the LX1.

I'm not an advanced camera user, would someone help me understand this "noise" issue that is commonly spoken about with this camera.

AND... the biggie, lol, does the LX1 recharge it's battery with the AC adaptor.

People might think it's safe to assume it does, but the Sony T7 - does not! lol, that's right, it only gives the camera constant power, but zero charge to the battery. (something sony's camera's could do 5 years ago)

-having to removing the battery to charge it, in my opinion, is an insult.

Thanks again,

rudyp Jan 27, 2006 7:15 AM

Well the noise problem does show up and I see it BUT!!!!! when I print it on my Epson printer I don't see it that bad. As A Pro Photographer I shoot with a Canon 5d and there is no noise even at 800 the noise is not bad at all. So I really can'y compare the 2, but when you want a camera that you can take with you and not lug a big camera all the time the LX1 is a nice camera to have with you. And I have made 16x20 prints and they look great. So whats the biggest size you are going to make any way? If you just wa You know when you look at the Mona Lisa very close u see nt 4x6 prints or 5x7s the noise factor isn't a big issue. and the 16 x 20s were very good. After all the Mona Lisa has brush strokes if you look closely[img]/forums/images/emoticons/lachen001.gif[/img]

Hards80 Jan 27, 2006 2:03 PM

example from me here

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...jump_to=453873