Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   What Camera Should I Buy? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/)
-   -   Advice on camera upgrade (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/advice-camera-upgrade-167803/)

Countryman Mar 19, 2010 3:39 PM

Advice on camera upgrade- Nikon D5000 or Canon 500D

Hello everyone.

For a few years now I have been using my point and shoot cannon 900Ti camera and have also been borrowing the brothers, I believe to be a Nikon d3000 but think itís the older version.

I am now looking to upgrade my camera, but have no idea what to replace it with. I want a camera towards the DSLR level but in a confusion of what to get.

My main inspirations are Architecture and Landscape photography if that helps in any way.

I am travelling round Europe for 10 days next week and would like to get something for then, but think I might be pushing my chances a little bit.

Thanks in advance

Phil

Hards80 Mar 19, 2010 3:42 PM

Phil,

are you for sure wanting a DSLR, or something that gives you more creative control in general?

an entry-level dslr is of course a choice, especially if you are familiar with them from your brothers.

but a nice bridge superzoom camera gives you an increase in control as well.

do you shoot action shots? do you want to shoot in low light?

shoturtle Mar 19, 2010 3:48 PM

What is your budget?

Countryman Mar 19, 2010 3:59 PM

Hi.
Thanks for the speedy reply.

I have also used a Cannon powershot SX10 but just dont seem to get the quality that the DSLR achives. But i have just noticed they have brought out a new model of this camera.
Pretty much all photos will be of stills and yes i would be using the camera in some low light.

Thank you.

Countryman Mar 19, 2010 4:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoturtle (Post 1067502)
What is your budget?

Hmmm, I donít really have to much of a budget but maybe something around £400 mark.

Hards80 Mar 19, 2010 4:10 PM

Well if you have used a SX10 before, then you should have a pretty decent idea of what most bridge cameras will produce, as most will be be reasonably close to this model.

So it looks like you are ready to make the move to the DSLR then. Of course your budget will be a large determining factor.

for mainly landscape/cityscape, any brand of DSLR should suit you quite nicely. if you were going to shoot sports or wildlife, then i would suggest sticking to canon / nikon. but for general shooting with emphasis on 'scapes, then no need to.

Pentax's KX is a nice affordable model that produces well in low-light, and has 720p video

Canon has the T1i/T2i, good image quality, access to all of canon's EF lenses. good 1080p video, both (esp t2i) are more expensive than the Pentax.

Nikon's D5000 is another good choice. good image quality, video, and for what its worth a tilting lcd, 720p video. however, you are relegated to AF-S lenses and other lenses with built in focus motors (may or may not be a problem, depending on your desire for short primes n macros).

Hards80 Mar 19, 2010 4:13 PM

400 british pounds is about 600 dollars.

so you are talking some of the entry level cameras.

Pentax KX as i mentioned fits this price and is probably your best bet at this price range.

shoturtle Mar 19, 2010 4:17 PM

For the Building and landscape, the canon 450D a good choice, it is in your price range.

Also the pentax K-x with the kit lens. The k-x will give you better low light ability if you take night shots hand held.

But to put thing into context the low light ability is shooting without a flash, unless it is really dark 1600 iso will be enough of night out door shooting around town. So unless you shoot inside clubs and pubs. The canon 450D will meet most of your needs.

If you need more zoom I would go with a 2 lens kit, as it does not seem action shooting on your list, and either canon and pentax with the 2 kit lens should meet your needs.

Hards80 Mar 19, 2010 4:18 PM

yes, canon 450D is also in your price range, it has come down significantly lately, didn't notice.

shoturtle Mar 19, 2010 4:22 PM

With the drop in price on the 450D I was looking at just a body as a backup to 500D.

What is now lower price model was yesterdays high end model. It is a still a very good camera.

Countryman Mar 19, 2010 4:48 PM

Thankyou for the replies.
I am rather keen on the Cannon and the Nikon cameras. Are these the models you suggested?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D5000-...9033795&sr=1-5

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digita...cmu_pg__header

cant seem to find the Pentax model.

Countryman Mar 19, 2010 4:54 PM

I have just found out that my brothers camera is a Nikon D40, which I believe is now discontinued.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D40-Zo...9035431&sr=8-1

Would the Nikon D3000 be a desirable camera for what I want?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D3000-...9035431&sr=8-1

Thanks

shoturtle Mar 19, 2010 5:15 PM

Here is the pentax,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pentax-K-x-D...9036720&sr=8-1

Yes the D40 has by discontinued.

The D3000 is not as good as the other cameras listed. It has the same issue with prime lenses as the d5000.

tizeye Mar 19, 2010 5:16 PM

I would suggest going to a store and playing with them. See how they feel, location of controls etc.

Assuming there is no difference in feel, I would tend to to lean towards the D5000. It is newer, released 4/09 while the 450D was released 1/08 and those 16 months make a big difference in features. I think the 450D replacement, the 500D was released about about the same time as the D5000 and is probably more comparable. One the 5000D vs the 450D, while both are good cameras, the newer 5000D added HD video, 11 point focus with 3D tracking, swivel LCD monitor (slightly smaller 2.7 vs 3 but same pixels), and greater low light sensitivity. Some will point out that cant use older lens, but you don't have older lens locking you into one system or another, and a wide variety of fully functional lens are available where it is a non-issue.

shoturtle Mar 19, 2010 5:22 PM

with the 11 point vs 9 point it is a marketing thing. Canon has the better AF system with just 9 point vs nikon with the 11 point. The 500D uses a 9 point system and it is still faster then the nikon d5000.

tizeye Mar 19, 2010 7:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoturtle (Post 1067539)
Canon has the better AF system with just 9 point vs nikon with the 11 point. The 500D uses a 9 point system and it is still faster then the nikon d5000.

I've seen this stated on several different threads and I'm calling BS.

While agreeing that 9 vs 11 is immaterial...but faster?

1. I've never ever seen that as an issue address in ANY review. It is even rare that I see focusing speed addressed at all.

2. Googled 5000D vs 500d and found many direct comparisons, none of which casually referenced or formally tested focusing speed. One did note the focusing noise was picked up on Canons video microphone, while none noted that on the Nikon.

3. While unscientific, I went in to Best Buy and played with both models. Set up both by focuing to the same point on a nearby display, then aimed both at the same point on the back wall. Both poped into focus virtually instantly in less than a second. Repeated the senario several time with matching random focus points with the same results. Neither stood out. I didn't thing to pay attention to the noise difference of the Nikon Silent Motor, vs the Canon AF Servo.

Hards80 Mar 19, 2010 8:01 PM

we are not talking the differences in focusing some static object. any dslr can do that just fine

the differences are in the realm of sports and action. and both nikon/canon do better than the competition within the price range. however, the subjective word on the street from people that actually shoot sports is the canon's (at this price range) is better.

that changes as you move up the food chain so to speak.

tizeye Mar 20, 2010 6:29 AM

So let me see if I understand this...
The blanket statement "The 500D uses a 9 point system and it is still faster then the nikon d5000" is true only in a very specialized set of circumstances involving sports and action. Plus it is true, not by any research quantifying differences, but by subjective groupthink opinion.

Now, lets apply the blanket statement to the OP's needs and will see, even if true, it doesn't apply and becomes grossly misleading. The OP's stated need was for architechural and landscape photography. When asked about action shots, he specifically replied that he primarily takes stills.

shoturtle Mar 20, 2010 7:28 AM

It does apply as the 500D does focus faster with anything of actions. Also, in low light condition. The canon system can get a AF lock where a d5000 can not, and I tested this first hand.

Countryman Mar 20, 2010 8:17 AM

Thank you for the information, helps a lot.

Someone mentioned to me about the Panasonic Lumix G1, how does this camera compare to the original DSLR?

Thanks

shoturtle Mar 20, 2010 8:34 AM

The G1 and G2 are EVIL camera, they are very good camera. They have electronic view finders. The take really nice photo, but like all m4/3 ad 4/3 camera, are limited in their iso. Not the greatest for low light shooting. Also the panasonic lenses are very expensive, but excellent quality. They can olympus m4/3 lenses and some of the olympus 4/3 lenses with the adapter.

These camera are not ideal for action shooting, a dslr has a better AF system for action.

If hdr is a route you thing you may want to go. The panasonic is a good choice. It is small and light weight also. But an expensive system. The G2 is suppose to be replacing the G1. So the price of the G1 should come down a bit.

Countryman Mar 20, 2010 2:38 PM

Today I went to look at the Nikon D5000 and the Canon 450D AND 500D. The Canon fitted nicely in the hand but wasn’t so keen of the format on screen. But found that the Nikon had a clearer layout and user friendly format.
Rather keen in the Nikon now!

shoturtle Mar 20, 2010 5:42 PM

The canon 500D has a higher resolution screen, so if you want to check the photos, it is better for that. The flip out screen of the d5000 is nice. If you shoot in live view it can come in handy. But if you were really interested in live view shooting. Both canon and nikon fall behind sony in that department. Sony has the best live view shooting on the market.

Countryman Mar 21, 2010 7:53 AM

Thanks for all the help so far.

Its between the Nikon D5000 or the Canon EOS 500D. both at a very similar price.
any advice on choosing between the two?

Phil

shoturtle Mar 21, 2010 9:02 AM

I have the 500D, and it is a bit better AF system. Also I shoot allot of primes. And the canon offers both inexpensive entry level grade and more expensive mid level grade primes that will work for the camera's. With 3rd party lenses, the canon gives you the most largest lens selection on the market. The canon has a way higher level of resolution on the lcd 920,000. So it is very good for reviewing your shots to see if everything is okay or weather you need to recompose. Also canon has the second best low light sensor on the "entry level" market, second only to the pentax k-x on this point.

On the image Quality is equal between the 2 camera. HD te canon offers a 1080 option, but it is hinder by 20fps. Both shot 720. But if you where going for HD, the 550 would be a better option as you can deploy a off camera mic so you do not hear the motor focusing. Neither the 500d or 5000d have that option. Both have plastic body, but I must say after yesterday. The canon body is quite robust. Took a drop on concert when I was swapping lenses and the camera has no ill effect but for a blemish. So they use a very high quality plastic.

The d5000 has the articulation screen with a resolution 270000. It nikon has the best flash system on the market. So if flash photography with a external flash is something you will get into, the nikon is really good in that department. You are limited to lenses that have built in motors. So thing you will want to get some primes, they will be pretty expensive, as you can not use the nice inexpensive 50mm 1.8 for 110 from nikon, or some of the macro lenses and the 85mm. It performs well up to the 6400iso. So it is also good in low light.