Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   What Camera Should I Buy? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/)
-   -   Best Bang For the Buck? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/best-bang-buck-60128/)

JFW Jul 3, 2005 7:09 AM

Hey there,

I need something quick to supplement a larger purchase farther down the line..(deciding between prosumer and DSLR)

In the meantime, I need a replacement for the P&S we currently have... I need dials and switches and zoom... oh my!

I live overseas, so can't bop on over the Circuit City and Fry's or Best Buy... to check everything out (although, I did get to hold an Oly-C7070 and liked it, and that's what started this business :love:)

What can I get? (US$- pretty much OTD prices)

Canon G5 - $330 (locally)

Oly C-770- $297 (locally)

Oly C-5500 - $220 (online)

Canon S1 IS - $330 (locally)

Fuji F10 - $3?? (locally)

Now, one of the problems I see with all of the research (besides the headaches)is sifting through the minutia.:? "Sure, this camera shutter response is .006 sec faster than the next", but how far do we take these kinds of details... It seems to be very easy to get caught up in the details and eliminate decent 'machines' because of minor flaws...

Given that in mind, and the list I have presented, can someone, or someones, with some experience PRETTY PLEASE give me some insight on which of these is the best bang for the buck..with some explanation.. PLEASE....

What types of pictures I take... right now, mostly ofkids and events (not sporting.. but they do move). I would also like to take shots of the area in which I live.. interesting architectural things, landscapes, natural things... For fun, I like abstract, close-ups of common-place things, and I would like to learn how to do better landscapes. I have 'some' background in photography (mostly B/W)(although it's been several years) I'd guess most of my peopleshots are un-staged 'natural' shots, so a slow camera would be (and is)frustrating.."Ok, everyonedon't movebut continue to look naturalwhile we wait for the shutter". I'm so over it...

What are some considerations?? Picture quality/resolution; manual shooting modes; minimal shutter lag, pretty quick auto focus...'fairly' quick cycle times; at 4+ MP- prefer more; zoom greater than 3x optical (but it's not the most important aspect))(I'd rather make sure I have a quality camera shooting quality pictures);'decent' video mode w/sound; AF assist lamp; the faster the lens, the better I like it... tripod mount, remote would be nice

I realize that compromise is necessary, hence some of my 'vague'/qualitative 'considerations'. I'm sure there is more, but I can't remember it now, and I am tired....:whack:

PLEASE any and all commentary is welcome... polite, of course, or at least humorous...:blah: ifI missed a 'no-brainer', feel free to add it to my list of confusion, please..:?

Thanks loads in advance. j

(sorry for the length)

Somebody please... humor me! efefwe

slipe Jul 3, 2005 10:06 AM

Of the cameras you listed the G5 would come closest to suiting your needs IMO. It is the only one that has better than the standard f2.8 lens with f2 at wide. It seems to have been designed to be what the pros would want to carry where their bag full of lenses and DSLR were inappropriate. Good low light focus, good cycle times, excellent controls etc. Shutter lag is poor, but there are ways around that with a competent camera. Shutter lag is decent with manual focus and almost instant with pre-focus. The continuous focus mode makes pre-focus practical because you don't have to remove your finger and re pre-focus if something moves. I also like an articulated LCD and comes with a remote. The G5 is not a current model and the movie mode isn't too good.

The Oly 5500 is a fairly recent release. Shutter lag is good but cycle times aren't great. Probably the cheapest 5X zoom out there with decent controls. Keep in mind you have to buy batteries and a charger for it. And you won't like the movies.

I would prefer the Oly 770 to the 5500. It isn't as quick but is a more capable camera. For one thing it has 640 X 480 MPEG4 movies at 30fps. The previous two take pretty dinky movies. It has good controls and is quite compact for a long zoom camera. Good low light focus and most of the essentials. Lack of stabilization limits the 10X zoom to fairly bright light or a tripod, but at least it is there. It also comes with a remote.

The S1 has stabilization and good movies, although not MPEG4. It is only 3Mp. It seems to have decent controls, but there were so many niggles it wasn't a highly thought of camera. No AF assist lamp and less than startling quality pictures. The new S2 is a dynamite camera but seems to be out of your price range.

The F10 is a really mixed bag. Fuji finally got the Super CCD right and it probably has the best small sensor made. The lens is also excellent and the movies are good. The higher ISO capabilities give it more versatility in limited light. But it has no eyelevel viewfinder and is purely point and shoot. It doesn't seem to be what you are looking for, but it is excellent for the point and shooter who doesn't live in a sunny climate.

They had transreflective LCDs for a while. They used the sun's light to reflect back through the display and worked fine out in the sun. I don't know why they were discontinued. Maybe they didn't look quite as good in the store and consumers weren't quite believing that they were far superior in everyday use. Or maybe they weren't holding up or were to pricey to make. But nobody seems to be putting them on the newer LCD only cameras. Regardless of coatings or brightness levels, a LCD only camera is difficult to use outdoors in the sun without a transreflective screen. If your secret overseas location is in a place like Ireland where the sun isn't out that much it might be OK.

If you haven't used digital cameras, P&S isn't quite as bad as it was with small film cameras. You can do a lot with a spot meter. I pre-meter different parts of a scene in spot and not only bracket my exposure doing that, I also get a variety of white balance. Most have EV shift instantly available. You can probably do a lot more than you might think you can. I don't own a P&S and probably never will, but you can do OK with the tools provided on a P&S like the F10.

You don't list anything with a wide angle lens and mention you are interested in landscapes. Wide angle improves that considerably as well as allowing you to get more in a shot in constrained situations. You seem to be in a place with decent prices on older cameras. Check what they want for an Olympus 5060 if somebody has one. Panoramas are also good. You can hold the camera vertically and simulate a wide lens with a pano. I think the F10 is the only camera you listed without either a panorama mode to fix the exposure and focus or the manual means to take a decent panorama.

Justinian Jul 3, 2005 11:15 AM

OK, you want to be humored :blah:or hammered :mad:. I wholeheartedly agree with the previous comments, especially about the Fuji F10. I do not have experience with the other cameras you listed, but I own the F10 and I can tell you it is an amazing pocket P&S camera with capabilities that surpass many others in its class. At first I thought that the absence of an optical viewfinder would be a hindrance, but the LCD is 2.5 inches and works great so I have become used to that. Image quality is excellent and it is one fast camera. Of course, in choosing any camera one must learn to accept trade-offs. What one camera has, another will lack and vice versa. You have to decide what is most important to you and then choose accordingly. For me, image quality came first, along with speed and a higher pixel count. The F10 has all three and the reviews have been great too. You may have read them already, but if not, here they are for your reading pleasure. :|I have also included a link where you can take a look at some photos taken with the F10, which gives you some idea of its capabilities. And oh, you can pick one up online at www.buydig.com for under $300.00, another positive thing to consider. Please let us know what you decide.:idea:

Fujifilm Finepix F10 Reviews:
[/b]

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/finepix_f10-review/index.shtml

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/camera/review/40/page_1.html

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf10zoom/

F10 Photos:

http://www.rietcom.nl/first500.htm

Steven R Jul 3, 2005 3:36 PM

Hey JFW: Getting back to your original question of most bang for the buck for a small camera, I would vote for the C5500. You get a lot of camera for a cheaper price than the others mentioned.

The Canon G5 is a very good camera, but it is the oldest; it came out in 2003 and has already been discontinued by Canon when they replaced it with the G6.

The C5500 doesn't have all the features found in the more expensive Olympus and Canons, but the owners of the C5500 have all raved about its picture quality and compact size. Since it is a newer design than the Canon, you get better movies with audio, a longer zoom lens (to max 190mm vs the Canon's max 140mm); 7 resolution settings to Canon's 4; and it uses AA batteries. And, it's cheaper than any other camera on your list.

Good luck in your search

JFW Jul 3, 2005 8:21 PM

Hey there Guys,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful input. :cool::cool::cool:

Yes, the G5, C-5500, and C-770arethe front runners on this list...

Yes, I find the Fuji F10 intriguing.. If only I could 'play' with it.. or it was cheaper.. But it is hard to overlook, I tell you what! If I could have buy 3 or 4 different models, It'd be in my pocket now...

Ultimately, I am looking at purchasing a higher end beast, such as an OlyC-8080 or DSLR. I just want to get something now that will do a reasonably good job ... picture quality is always important

As I lay my head down last night.. and the throbbing from the research stopped, a thought passed before me, 'if you're willing to pay $330 for a G5, why not just get the C-7070 for about the same price?' (but, it's an order item). Locally, they run US$750. (I'm in Okinawa) But then that runs into the ... 'but wait, if you're going to do that, you might as well spring the extra $120, and get the C-8080'.. which then leads to a greater headache.... 'what about DSLRs?'....

I stumbled on a few threads on the C-5500, and it looked good and cheap, and figured I'd just go with it...I just have to stop somewhere... BUT...for a few bucks more would I be better getting one of these otherlast year's models for cheap... and, wait, (the cycle starts again...) if I'm willing to go there, why not...aaargh! :shock:

I hope I'm not the only person who's run into this 'creap' dilemma...:(:(:(

I have been looking at the C-770, but I am concerned about the size and holdability... excuse me... ergonomics- and I have small hands... Having grown up with 35mm SLRs, I just feel more comfortable with something that feels like a camera. I'm not overly interested in going ultra-compact. Too small, and I find them difficult to manage (call me goofy...:?). (My last digital was the Oly C-3000.. I really liked it, but I guess someone else decided they needed it more than I did)

I'll take a closer look at the G5-again, and C-770.Are they $70 and $100 better thanthe $220 C-5500 ?... my brain is full and throbbing again.. I'll have to compare my options again, but right now my computer orphans are begging for Mommy to disengage from the search for a while... oh, and then, there is the Oly C-7070..aaaargh!

Oh, while I'm thnking about it... can I use adaptors for different filters and such on the G5 and C-5500? I'll check...
No, really, I'm fine!:whack::?

thanks again for your time and energies... It is wonderful having third party input. (thanks..) j

Steven R Jul 3, 2005 8:45 PM

Hi again JFW: Okay, if your head is throbbing, and you are getting away from low price, I have to say that you can't go wrong with the C8080 Wide Zoom. As the owner too many digital cameras over the past 6 years, I have been thru this process too often.

Before my last purchase, I compared a lot, and it came down to the C7070 and C8080. They are both terrific cameras; it is a hard decision. I went with the C8080 and absolutely love it. (Actually, if I had the spare $, Iwould probably have purchased both of them. I've been an avid photographer for many years, and still own and use several35mm SLRs.)

The only caveat is the very long learning curve with the C8080 to really learn all the many things it can do. And it isBIG and strong, and built like a tank - it is definitely not a pocket camera. I'm running short on time, so I must close for now. Will be glad to answer any questions about the 8080. ( I still own 4 other digicams, but the 8080 is my favorite, and I still use my C740 frequently when I need a long telephoto lens. The C770 is the latest version of that model.)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C7070/C70A.HTM

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C8080/C88A.HTM

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C770/C77A.HTM

JFW Jul 4, 2005 4:25 AM

Hey there StevenR (and anyone else with two cents worth of thought on this..or even one cent...ok, or less)

Thanks again for the input and the links...

As I stated, I am looking at the 'higher' end cameras.. Yes, I was looking for a birthday gift (for me) and I ran across an Oly C-7070... and that's what started the indepth searching that I'm doing now.. It felt really good to hold.. and it's not a small thing that I can carry around and lose in the car...

I have yet to get my hands on a C-8080. After reading the threads go on and on about issues,such asfocusing, with the C-8080, I want to do a bit more research. Yes, I realize that I have no clue what experience the people with these problems have (some ovbiously havenone and othershave stated to be quite experienced),but it is difficult to ignore. I guess, if I could touchand smell the beast, I'd feel more comfortable about just ordering it. Your input (as well as thatfrom others like you)doeshelp calm my concerns.

Right now, I am just trying to get something to hold me over until the 'big' decision is made.That's where the dilemma lies.. I have been eye-ing the C-770 for some time now. I just wish it was shaped a little more like the C-5500 - easier to hold (not that I've held one, but it looks like my C-3000,cso I'm assuming.. bad!). I went out and played withthe C-770a little today .. I had to beg for batteries, so I could turn it on. It's probably doable, I just might need to take it off of their little safety bracket to get a truer feel for the camera. I did notice the pictures at the full were fuzzy (indoor lighting)(as stated repeatedly in threads).. I can't remember the shutter speed.. (I'm surereally slow). So, I'd like to play with it some more to see if the extended 10x is worth the extra money... Can I even use itw/o tripod? But as Slipe so kindly mentioned "at least it's there". I wanted to play with the G5, butI was politely ignored - or abandoned - when I asked about a battery... maybeatanother store...

I remember reading someone suggesting two cameras.. one like theC-8080 and thensomething, such as the C-770, for the zoom. Granted, the idea of having two is still quite foreign to me, but I can get over it... I kind of like it, actually..An extra,not quite so'solid' camerafor those 'on the move' days..

ANYONE WANNA RECOMMEND 3? Then I can get the Fuji F10..

Well, I think I've about voiced my concerns at this point. I do appreciate the opportunity...

Thanks again, j:bye:

Steven R Jul 4, 2005 11:26 AM

Hey JFW: It just struck me that you mentioned that you used to have a C3000; in that case, I think you would quickly take to the C7070, and really like it.

The Fuji F10 appears to be a good camera, but The 7070 would be superior (but larger) with 8 resolution settings vs only 4 for the F10, and with both RAW & TIFF uncompressed formats available. The F10 has only compressed JPEG output.

JFW Jul 4, 2005 5:22 PM

Hey there Steven R,

I appreciate the update, again.

I was reading your answer to Justinian's question regarding the C-7070 and C-8080 (in the "C-7070 vs G-6 thread"). I was wondering about what you said about the C-8080 being designed for 'serious / pro' photographers. I'm wondering how the C-7070 would be any easier to use.. other than fewer choices to make??.. Call me naive'... butI ain't been able to sit with both of them and play.

What exactly is meant by 'serious pro' (or whatever term you wish to use that is most often assoc with C-8080 ads)? Yes, I did my own B/W work about 10 years ago. Granted my camera was archaic, but being kinesthetic by nature I preferredthe turns and twists of my Pentax K-1000... I took classes andafter myfirst one was told to leave and find a good art school for proper training...(which was great for my ego.. especially coming from a professional)...

Anyhow.. enough bragging over ancient accomplishments....:blah:

But what is 'pro' enough tobe able to handle a C-8080? Yes, I did ownthe C-3000, but with young children it was pretty much a p&s, I was finally getting to the point of having some time to play when it disappeared...

And, if I can deal with a C-7070, is the C-8080 all the more difficult to play with? Or is it simply having more choices within each decision, itself?

I do want a camera, eventually, that I can grow into. Should I start smaller and work up? I just have no clue because I haven't seen anything... I'm hoping to have a much better clue later this summer... It seems it would be overkill to have both C-7070 and C-8080, hence my original question... but, rats, if I don't keep coming back to the ultimate destination..

I have got to get, so i'll leave with what ? Any and all feedback is cool and appreciated.

thanks again for your time.. enjoy your weekend...j

Justinian Jul 5, 2005 9:25 AM

Well it seems that camera size does not matter to you, right? You original list contains dc's of all sizes and shapes, from the compact F10 to the larger and rather bulky S1. Now we're talking about the Oly C-7070 & 8080, neither of whichare compact. Image quality is essentially the same for both, w/ the 8080 having only one more mxp. - not a big deal. The 8080 is also larger and bulkier. I am very happy w/ the 7070. It has everything I could ever want in a camera and it is something I can grow into, just short of a DSLR. Soooooo.....make uppa you mind already! You-a driving me crazy! :?:grin::whack::?

JFW Jul 5, 2005 4:53 PM

You thinka itsa driving you crazy!:shock:

So, how is the learning/breaking in process for you and your C-7070?

No, size is not overly important. Granted, I don't carry my Nikon SLR around too much for outings with the kids because it weighs a ton, so weight and size could be an issue...

Ultimately, as I stated, I am after a bigger 'badder' camera. I was just looking for something with image quality and manual controls to keep me shooting while I iron out the "prosumer vs DSLR' question...

But, if I end up wit the C-7070, that will be the 'higher' end camera...at least for now. Now, when people start begging to buy my prints for $1000s, then, I mighrt be willing to upgrade, but I'm not one to have lots just for the sake of having lots.. granted, it'd be nice to have three or four different beasties... so I could get that F10 :blah:...

I think I'm almost there, I just need to actually hold things and check them out. I have limited access and I know that how something feels in my hands is important... not that I don't think I couldn't overcome, but it's a consideration...

I just don't have access to the C-8080, to take it for a test drive. It will be later in the month before I get back to the states and hit the stores to check things out...

Thanks.. .and welcome to my nightmare $#%#$*#%!:mad:

Steven R Jul 5, 2005 7:52 PM

Hey JFW: do you know how lucky we are to be faced with such delicious choices in todays digicams? I'm not going toadmit toyou young whippersnappers just how much I had to pay for a 2MP camera years ago.:?LOL!!

I'm so glad that the field has advanced so quickly. Anyway, I digress. A newbie can get good shapshots right out of the box with a C8080; but an experienced amateur or a pro can make it sing.Think of your grandmother driving your newCorvette; it will take her to the grocery store very well, but youcan much more out of the car. (But your grandmother would complain about the firm ride and the stiff clutch.)

However, I've gotten off the subject. My buying a8080was only a personal choice, Ienjoyed usingthe C7070, and have no problems giving it a hardy recomendation.

After all, I'm a camera junkie; I'm not going to tell youhow many 35mm & digital cameras I currently own. (I might even add the 7070 to the stable in the future.)

Make your choice, and don't look back. Todays digicams are like computers, they are constantly improving and getting cheaper at the same time. But if you keep waiting for the better, newer model, just look at the fun you miss while waiting on that perfect model.

Good luck,

Steven R

coastie Jul 5, 2005 8:45 PM

I can't speak for the other cameras, but I have used the G5 a good deal. It is the older model for sure, but if you are looking at it, there are some good features to it. The body feels solid. Rather than using plastic, it has a metal case and while I haven't dropped it, it feels sturdy. The flip LCD is a nice touch and I have flipped it around plenty of times to see the photo and use the remote to capture a group shot.It can be about as automatic or manual as you want it, with a lot of features along this line such as apeture and speed priorities. While it doesn't always focus as quickly as I'd like I have shot plenty of action shots with it. It just takes a little bit of preparation. That action has been anything from basketball shots to a rally race with cars zipping by. Continuous shooting is about 1.5 frames a second.The zoom is on the low end of what you are looking for, with only a 3x optical zoom. But I have been able to crop and enlarge most photos to caputure what I need.Batteries are proprietary, so you will need to charge them with an included charger, having AA batteries be a nice touch depending what you have access to.A nice touch is the ability to attach other proprietary lenses and filters. This can increase the zoom and give you wide angle shots. Both of those will set you back more money, however.Don't know if this helps you, but this should answer some of your questions about the G5. I do love my camera and don't plan to put it down for a while, though I am looking at adding a DSLR to my camera selection.Cheers

JFW Jul 8, 2005 5:16 AM

Hey there gang,

Thanks again for all of the wonderfulinput. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I'm looking at C-7070 or C-8080.

Of course, this doesn't take care of my desire to have something quick and simple now... she says laughing... remember how this started??

Now, it looks like I'm going to have to wait until I get back to the states to hold the C-8080 and actually check them both outto make the final decision... turning the camera on... at the very least, would be nice... I'm just bummed because I have to wait the month. I'm anxious, and my shutter finger is getting antsy... And yesterday, we all watched a cicada emerge.. and I was struggling with what I have now to get any decent macro shots.. very frustrating to say the least... It was an awesome, teachable moment.

Anyhow, thanks again. Yes,in general, I have to remember just how fortunate I am when I realize that this is the toughest decision I face this week. And yes, I seem to recall that when I bought my Oly C-3000, 4 yrs ago,the decision was much easier.. the C-4040 (?)was $200 bucks more.. so I lived without the 1.7 f-stop...

Thanks again...j :bye:

flashbug Jul 23, 2005 1:49 AM

The Olympus support is slow and VERY BAD! They ran me in circles and kept me on hold for hours only to email me that they can not help after they said that they would... I am returning the c8080 which does take fine and VERY sharp photos ONLY under perfect conditions.... If you would like to do landscape photography and would like to feel like you are using a med-format camera this is the camera for you! It is a PAIN to use and I did learn most of its tricks by now having spend more hours. :-)

I was going to leave the G6 behind, but just placed my order on DELL and hope that they don't jerk me around as they could.... Anyway, the G6 is not built as well, it does not have the fine resolution of the C8080, but it leaves it in the dust in the usability dept. and even with the menues it is faster to take photos, does MUCH BETTER in low light and I compared it side by side so I know what I am talking about. It just is a much more universal and more plaseant to use camera. I only wish that Canon did not desight it so stupidly that the lens in unprotected. I will just have to be careful, but the images are SO GRAIN FREE up to 400 that you would think they were done with a D300!

My 2 cents worth... Hope this helps.

flashbug Jul 23, 2005 1:51 AM

One more thing... it is late and I forgot to mention - the price on Dell with coupons is $420 Shipped and after the bad NY tax added!!! That tips the scales for me. Now I just hope it comes in 100% and soon.

speaklightly Jul 23, 2005 1:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Isn't there an issue here that has not been mentioned much. Whenever, a fixed lens digital camera is at or near the $(US) 500 mark, it might indeed be logical to explore the inexpensive dSLR cameras as well. Why might you ask?

Because a dSLR will open up photo qualities, ISO capabilites, ease of use, and flexibilities issues that are, quite honestly, just not available on fixed lens digital cameras. Take a look at the Pentax 1stDS for example. The camera body and kit lens combo sells for around $(US) 700. You now have a digital camera with the flexibility of interchangeable lenses, a digital camera that is very easy to use, has an award winning viewfinder and a great grip that is very easy to use. It can use ISO settings up to 3200 with very little noise, and the lens quality and photo output quality exceeds that found on mostfixed lens digital cameras.

Here is a sample photo taken from over 100 feet away without any flash with an inexpensive Sigma lens, in this case, the 28-300mm lens that gives you roughly 11X optical zoom on the Pentax 1stDS and costs around $(US) 200. It might be worth thinking about especially if you are going to, at sometime in the future, going to purchase a dSLR anyway.

Sarah Joyce

JFW Jul 23, 2005 11:08 PM

Ms Joyce, I agree with your argument.. If I'm gonna fork out $500 for a fixed lens why not go ahead and purchase theDSLR now. That is one of my dilemmas...

This all started with a question of a decent cheap camera to buy now while I am waiting for the 'bigger' decision to come.

And then the creap started.. which I alsomentioned was a 'problem' with making the decision.

Well, yesterday, I was at the store and both the G5 and the Oly C-770 were selling for ~US$230, so I picked up the Oly (opted for zoom). I hope to be able to pull it out the box by next Wed... I'm really busy right now...

Anyhow... I am considering jumping right up into DSLR - and I might just do that given the nudges I am receiving on the home front as well... I hope to be somewhere where I can actually touch the 'beasties' next week.

Thanks for the input. I am truly enjoying the discussion (and neat pic)- lots of great information to consider -and a nice break from the work I'm doing (moving)... But, alas, the house calls again.. I must return to the business at hand.

I hope to check back in a few days. later, j:bye:

Justinian Jul 26, 2005 9:36 PM

JFW,

Yes, hurry back y'all cuz this thread has been loads of fun :Dand I hate to see it end....:sad: Let us know how you like your Oly.

speaklightly Jul 27, 2005 8:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I will give it a real try.

When you consider that the Olympus C-5500 is selling for LESS than $200 (US). It is an amazing deal, giving you 5mp, 5X optical zoom, and great photo quality. The Olympus offers a combination that is truly hard to beat.

Sarah Joyce

JFW Aug 3, 2005 12:33 AM

Hey gang,

I needed a break from life, so it's back to camera stuff. Much more fun than stressing over a house full of boxes and wondering whether or not I will make it back to the states... oh, and we have a typhoon (that'd be a hurricane for most of the rest of you) coming in...

Update on the Oly C-770... I went back to the store a few days later and found the beast was on clearance, so I got an extra $50 back, which was the cost of a 256 memory cardwith $5 left over for lunch. I was not unhappy :-D. Oh, and I got a free USB card reader, to boot . (US$230 total)

Incidentally, since I did so well on the 770, I am looking at making the C-5500 my next purchase.. for the speed necessary with the kids...well, something got deleted here but for the life of me I ain't got the faintest clue what it was, and I'm too tired to try to guess.. neeeext... however, when I hit the paste button, to see ifit was hiding there, Igot an interesting message "you cancall me at...." I felt like Iwas in atelephone booth. I don't remember evertyping that.. and I certainly don't live in Arizona(?) (608 )... I guess I could call collect from Japan and see who answers... anyhow, I digress...

On the C-770: I am getting used to the size and handling, which I suspected I would. I was ready to throw it back after the first evening..:x no, I hadn't and still haven't read the book. I want to, just been a bit busy. Fortunately, when I returned to the store to pick up the G-5 for the same price (I didn't want to miss the sale) there were two people familiar with theOly and after about 15 min of consoling and comforting.. argggh!, they managed to calm me down and convnce me to keep the camera.. It boggled my mind how this camera is not really designed to be used 'out of the box'. Or maybe this lens is a whole lot slower than what I'm used to...I don't recall such 'issues' with my other Olys. (please disregard my ramblings, unless you feel so inclined to enlighten the gneral public on my 'issues')

The first thing I need to find is the 'auto reset' button and disable it - no, not with a hammer....:mad: I've seen it, I just haven't figured out how to get to it... yet... I know, I know... READ THE BOOK!. Maybe after a much needed 6 hr nap...

So, where can I find a C-5500 for under $200 otd? (reputable dealers please. I live overseas and it is a pain in theposterior regions to return and deal with nastiness.. I've had my share of 'industry standards', thank you)

That's it for now.As usual, any and all input is welcome...

j:bye:

PS..You guys are a bad influence on me. All I wanted was one, simple, little camera.. Now, I'm looking at three.. argggh! But, lest you think I'm not enjoying this...:D:D ok, so number three might have to wait.. We'll see what happens with number two.

JFW Aug 3, 2005 6:12 PM

Update: I found the auto reset button last night (active and everything)... now I just have to remember to check my settings.. It's nice to have a choice of what I can display at the first menu level (sorry for terminology faux pas). That will make 'manipulation' a whole lot easier... now, I just need to play with the camera some more and see which settings are more important than others - to me. I was enjoying playing with the white balance last night... I liked the different effects the changes created and see some really cool potential. I guess this discussion best belongs in another forum.... so, I'll stop and pick it up somewhere else at another time... I just wanted tolet you know.. ttfn

oh, about the 'much needed 6 hr nap".. I was kidding, or so I thought. The kids and I only slept for 3-4 hrs..and were all rudely awakened by Daddy. I thought he was pulling my leg when he said it was 7pm.'

Steven R Aug 3, 2005 6:22 PM

Hey JFW: reading your posts are a hoot! I can't help but chuckle and laugh at some of your lines. Anyway, glad you found out how to cut off the "all reset" feature. Get used to the C770, you will grow to like it a lot. And then get a C-5500, it's a great value for the money!

JFW Aug 3, 2005 6:46 PM

StevenR,

Thanks ever so much for the compliment, but be careful not to encourage me too much.....:-)

Thanks alsofor your input on camera selection. If I ever make it back to the states (Space-A is an adventure), I'll get to check out the C-8080 firsthand.. But, I must admit with prices on DSLR kits coming down, that is looking rather tempting, too...

ttfn

Steven R Aug 3, 2005 8:38 PM

Hey JFW: I'll share a little secret. As the current owner offour 35mmbodies, plus lenses, I always thought I would get into digital SLRs. But I reallygot started in digitalbecause I travel constantly, andwanted a small, light camera that I could throw in my briefcase, and use on my business trips, without worry about banging up the expensive 35mm equipment.

Wellnow I own and use 4 digicams, andhaveplanned to eventually get adSLR. However, the last camera I added to my collection was an Oly C8080.I have to tell you that my desire for that dSLRdropped greatly the moreI used the 8080.

(It's an open secret among Olympus employees that the C8080 has eaten into the sales of the E-300).Admitedly, most of my shots are landscapes and macros; if I were shooting sports, or flying birds, etc, I might feel the need for a dSLR shooting at 1600 ISO.

Anyway, if you do get an 8080, don't be surprised if it eventually becomes your favorite camera. (It does however, have a rather long learning curve to get the most out of it.)

JFW Aug 4, 2005 12:18 AM

Hey there Steven R,

Funny you should mention your little 'secret'. I admit that I first bought a digital for downloadable snapshots of my children... to get my family off my back. Digital was much easier than printing umpteen million copies of my darlings and then mailing them around the globe.... call me lazy... and cheap.

However, there was an added bonusin whichI was interested. I was looking forward to relearning how to see and how to 'shoot', and I saw digital as an awesome way to pratice photography wiothout eating up loads of film. Let's face it, out a roll of 24... what is the stat... if we're lucky there are three shotsworth keeping... so, I figured I could practice all I wanted and relearn the neat f-stop, exposure, dof deails that I used to just manage to guess rather easily... and it wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg in film and processing...

I wouldn't purchase a camera for "landscapes".. as I have yet to feel like I am able -beyond chance -to get a decent shot of one. I see the benefit of wide angle as it opens up (pun intended) many more opportunities.... I do prefer a fast lens. I know, who doesn't? But since I prefer natural lighting it does give me a wider playng field...

So, I've got some thinking to do. I had hoped to be able to work in 35mm film again...(I'd love to do med format..one of the smaller cameras would be cool(4x5?)but then, I'd also like to own a $10,000 flute that plays itself as long as I can breathe and move my fingers, butit doesn't look like that's happening anytime soon, either...anyhow...) Digital, as good as it is getting, just ain't film... call me old-fashioned.. or as I have recently started to phrase it.. stuck in The Darkroom Ages.. But, I must admit, I am beginning to get to the point where I am wanting to do more with the digital. Maybe learning to play with it will help me with my hopelessly mundane attachment to plastic...

AND my kids are still young and it's not like I have lots of time to devote to being along and taking pictures of stuff... Sometimes, just regular day-to-day thinking and any concentrationis a tall order to fill... so, I have some time to ponder...

Sorry for the choppiness. I have been in and out of the room for a few hours now, and well, that's how it's gonna be this time. (I'll come back and edit later)I have to get. I have a child desiring my playtime... and he's gonna get it...

ttfn

drj99 Aug 4, 2005 12:53 AM

What about the difference between the 2/3" ccd on the C-8080 and the 1/1.18" ccd on the C-7070 and C-5500? Does it make a difference? Is the difference worth the difference?

Where is that Easy Button?

Steven

JFW Aug 4, 2005 8:21 AM

Steven,

Hey there.. Regarding your first question, I wanna say yes, but I don't have enough technical expertise to approach that question.. I know I have read lots about it through different threads, though.. My suggestion would be to do an internalsearch on CCDs... good luck.. That's as far as I'm willing to take it. Now, if somewonderfully, technologically ****** individual wishes to chime in then more power to all of us... cause I'll read it and soak in more, too....

Regarding the second question.. "Where is that easy button?" Well, first, there weren't nothin' easy about it...Just kidding.Truthfully, I stumbled across it playing with my camera in bed last night. Too tired to be up, but wanted to try to learn something.. So I took pictures of my ceiling...

Well, I'll have to get back with you on that. no, wait... I'll look now.. .brb

now sit and whistle for a few minutes so you get the feel that time has truly passed...

ok, I'm back... with my little wheel/dial do-jiggyset at A/S/M, I pressed the menu botton (wow, a true technical term)..I selected Mode Menuthen"scrolled" down to set (which is what my 'Setup' reads)pressed the right arrow keyand up at the top was an active All Reset option. I then eagerly selected 'no'...and then went about my business.. I'm hoping that does the job...

I hope that helps... Have a groovy day.

JFW Aug 20, 2005 9:35 PM

Howdy ya'll! from sunny southern California... finally.

Well, I got here. The trip getting here was a trip in and of itself, and a story for an entirely different 'web-site' - a Candid Camera meets The Twilight Zone type of story.. or maybe Candid Camera in The Twilight Zone... anyhow....

I started looking around... I went to a 'pro' camera store.. and they tell me the C-8080 is discontinued (at Sammy's in LA. - which was a pleasure to shop in). Will the ironies in my life never cease? :crazy: Sure I can order it online (or can I???), but I would really like to hold the beast first... in order to determine if it is, indeed, the way to go...

I'm gonna try to scoot around San Diego and see if I can't scare one up... anybody in this area happen to know where to find one? or LA? or any parts in between?? We ain't been to Fry's yet... and I admit, camera store hopping hasn't been the only priority.. well, it's been one for me, but I ain't the only person deciding on how to spend our time...

The C-770 and I are becoming acquianted. If I could download what I have, I'd try to show a couple of shots...(the wrong software came in the package...maybe I can download the right stuff from the website) I was playing with the super-macro today... was really cool.. gotta be careful though, about whacked the lens with a fossil filled rock... gets pretty stinkin' close...

I like what I have been doing thus far (I mean the camera buttons, menus, and all...) If I could change anything, it would be the 6-7 sec start up time. That is a killer in spontaneous situations. Other than that I can't say I have any complaints. It seems to write pretty quickly - for what I do (thus far)... so time between shots isn't too terribly long. I haven't felt like I missed anything due to a slow focus speed or anything like that, but I haven't exactly tried to stress the camera or anything... and I still have yet to download anything and check it out on the compooter.

Well, that's the update, thus far...

more soon,

JFW Aug 20, 2005 9:54 PM

P.S. I read the C-770 manual...:D It discusses where to find certain menu items, but does not delve into the deeper meaning or use of said items... for example... I may know how to find the light histogram thingy, but I still don't know nothin' of what it is or what to do with it.... the 'deeper' explanations are in another manual on the CD-Rom (of which, to the book's credit, it informs me)..
later again, j:bye:

speaklightly Aug 21, 2005 9:30 AM

JFW-

The histogram is a very effective photographic tool. I use mine all the time. It is well worth delving ing to the info contained on the CD with the digital camera. Or, just get a basic photography book, and you will probably be amazed at how much information can be derived from the histogram.

Sarah Joyce

JFW Aug 25, 2005 12:06 PM

Hey there,

Yes, I intend to look more thoroughly into the histogram and as much else as I can get my brain to lock onto..

I'm starting to feel that I want more control over the camera.. so I definitely need to figure out how to work the manual controls.. I've just got to get the correct CD-Rom, so that I can. Also, I ran across a tutorial at the Olympus site.. either way, I've got to learn more about controling the beast. It drives me nuts that the camera won't always auto-focus in 'sub' standard lighting conditions (ignorance on my part?).

more later, j:bye:

kimnicho Aug 25, 2005 2:19 PM

No doubt that the Olympus C-5500 offers the "best bang for the buck"...if I didn't need to buy an xd card, I probably would buy it without a second thought. You can read my recent posts - I was very, very close to buying it from 6ave.com for $209 - according to resellerratings.com, they are indeed a reputable company. Here's the link -

http://www.6ave.com/product.jsp?x=C5500

Back to the discussion at hand, I did do some research into the C-5500 and was VERY impressed with its specs - it's one of the few compacts (other one being the yet to be released Canon A610/620) that uses a 1/1.8" sensor, has 5x Optical Zoom, USB 2.0, Amazing MACRO (2 cm!), Great Movie Mode (not my priority so don't recall exact specs), and HISTOGRAM !!! Btw, officemax has a $10 rebate this week on Olympus 256 xd card, and a $15 rebate on the 512 Mb....Oh, and one small reason I didn't buy it - I prefer lighter, longer-lasting proprietary batteries.

JFW Aug 25, 2005 10:44 PM

Yes, I think that had I had the C-5500 available, I'd a probably purchased that over the C-770.. for feel and speed issues... I have actually touched one now and wouldn't mind spending a little more time with it. I like the feel of the 'box' better..among other things...

I'm still looking for a C-8080.. asI said, I like to touch and feel before making a purchase. Having to deal with returns would be too complicated for me...

Thanks for your input..

wise Aug 26, 2005 7:06 AM

Seems you are a diehard 'olympian'. Otherwise there are excellent competitive entries from the stables of Canon, Pansonic and Fujifilm. JMO. And please don't cut me in two for suggesting something out of Olympia.:G I am sensitive like Super CCD from fujifilm.:blah:

JFW Aug 26, 2005 10:24 AM

not necessarily 'diehard', but it is what I know and I had no complaints with the last one.. and it is what I had available to me when I started looking.. I saw and held a C-7070 which seemed really cool and then learned about the C-8080 which sounded really cooler, but living where I do, I don't have the models available for inspection. So, I chose what I thought werefour of the best that were avaialble to me and away this process went. It came down to a decision between a Canon G5 and the The Oly...I went for the zoom.. but almost went back and traded it in...

I am interested in quality images.. I know who isn't... and Oly for the price has seemed to be the 'best bang for the buck' (pardon the cliche' again). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I can take it...

I'm still looking. I'm hoping to actually find a C-8080 in a store somewhere.... oh, my 35mm cameras are Pentax and Nikon... there are some places I feel I wouldn't go, but still need more research to totally eliminate the products from my considerarion.. So, if you know something totally too hot to handle, by all means, bring it on!

thanks,

wise Aug 26, 2005 10:58 AM

In short zoom, compact 'take anywhere' pocketable or 'pursable' category canon S80 seems to have evrything except presence in the market as of now. other very good options seem to be Casio exilimZ750 and your 'also ran' F-10.

In 'take anywhere but not in the pocket or purse' category, FZ-30 and S2IS beg for attention with all thebells and whistles with fastaction, fast lenses etc. Out of the above I have used none but a younger brother of FZ-30 that is FZ-20 which had a really sharp,bright and fast lens.

Ha! I hope I haven't increased your already unusually high daily quota of info-harvesting. I, on no account would like to create more 'computerorphans' than is necessary.:-)So please be gentle while prying away the little fingers of the young ones from their beloved mouse.:|

JFW Aug 26, 2005 12:57 PM

I just spoke to a amera store and they are bringing a C-8080 into the store from Santa Barbara for me. The price sounds great ...$499.99 (the tax thing is bothersome, but I'll write that off as the 'shipping charge'.) I'm still looking though....

I've looked at the Panasonic (PZ-20) some and just couldn't fall in love with it. I don't know why, really...

The S2 I have looked at a tadbit, as well...

Like I said before, the price issue kind of led me to the Olympus... besides my previous satisfaction with my C-3000 (which mysteriously vanished from my car.. when we were discussing that we'd forgotten to take the camera out of the car)

Anyhow, if the C-8080 doesn't work out, I'll be taking a closer look at the other available models... or I might just take a break for a while. I really do have a life....

more later, j:bye:

wise Aug 26, 2005 1:47 PM

Glad, you are going to get what you wanted. Happy clicking!:|

JFW Aug 26, 2005 2:38 PM

I'll keep you posted.... thanks j:bye: