Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 28, 2006, 6:41 AM   #1

I take a lot of people pictures indoors at nigth, and I actually like to use a flash! These are mostly fairly close up people pictures, often portraits. I have a Fuji F11 but am wondering if any one has an idea on the best indoor flash performance in a compact or subcompact, the smaller size p&s the better.Or for these kind of snapshots does it really make any differece?BTW, I am not interested in using a slave, I just want to find the best small camera for indoor flash pictures.Rube
Rube39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2006, 9:10 AM   #2

I think the strongest flash on a small camera is on the Canon SD550. But the best advertised flash range is on the camera you already have. It is my understanding Fuji boosts the ISO to 400 for flash shots to extend the range of the flash. With the F10/11 the results are good because of good noise reduction.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:44 AM   #3

It is not in the same class as the Fuji F-10/F-11, but Sony is claiming a flash range on the S-600 of 35 feet, and the camera is capable of an ISO 1000 setting.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 6:38 PM   #4

I am not sure, but for the type of indoor flash pictures I take the Oly 800 seems to give much brighter, more satisfying results than the F11. PP does improve the F11 shots greatly, but I would rather not have to bother with it for these kind of pictures (people at parties or posing). Do not get me wrong, the F11 is still the best in low light without a flash, and also takes terrific daylight shots.Rube
Old Jan 28, 2006, 9:28 PM   #5

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
It is not in the same class as the Fuji F-10/F-11, but Sony is claiming a flash range on the S-600 of 35 feet, and the camera is capable of an ISO 1000 setting.
With the F11,hen I use the flash, anything more than 2 metres away appears incredible grainy as the flash does not get that far away. Others have apparently found this as well, which is why I originally posted the question[/quote]RubeMT

[/quote]
Old Jan 28, 2006, 9:39 PM   #6

Sorry, I messed up the quote.Anyway with the F11, when using the flash, anything from two meters away appears incredibly grainy. Others have apparently found the same problem, which is why I originally posted the question.RubeWhen I do use flash, anything more than 2 metres away appears incredible grainy as the flash does not get that far away.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 9:25 AM   #7
Administrator

The Fuji's flash isn't really that much better than other subcompact models. Fuji is increasing ISO speed to get the range (each time you double the ISO speed, flash range increases by 1.4x). Most models don't have ISO speeds as high.

That's where the grain you're seeing is coming from (higher ISO speeds).

If you're within 10 or 12 feet of your subject, try setting your ISO speed to a lower value (versus using the camera's Auto ISO).

Lower ISO speeds will reduce your flash range, and may make your backgrounds appear darker (not as much ambient light contributing to the photo at lower ISO speeds). But, it may help out with the noise (a.k.a, grain).

You're probably not going to do any better in a subcompact model. To get more even illumination with good flash range and lower noise, you'll need to go with an external flash (something you didn't want).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote