Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   What Camera Should I Buy? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/)
-   -   casual compact advice (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/casual-compact-advice-96491/)

cam_hunter Jul 28, 2006 9:55 AM

Hi,
I'm looking for a casual ultra/compact camera with a budget of around $300.
The features I'm looking for include:
1) fast performance-such as shutter lag and shot to shot with flash
2) great quality pics
3) bright and sharp indoor pictures
4) good dim light/night time shots
5) decent movie mode

That's about all I can think of right now. I'm a pretty casual shooter but some decent manual settings would be good.
Any suggestions?
I've been looking at the Sony W50, W70, Canon SD600/630, Fuji F30, and Casio Z60/600.

mtclimber Jul 28, 2006 12:06 PM

cam-hunter-

Of the requirements that you have specified, only the Fuji F-30 will come close to fullfilling your your aspirations.

I think it might be worth some investigating. Taka a look at the professional reviews at: www.steves-digicams.com, www.dpreview.com, and www.dcresource.com on the Fuji F-30. There are some good sample photos from the Fuji F-30 posted in varios threads, primarily in this folder on the forum.

MT

cam_hunter Jul 28, 2006 12:52 PM

Hm..
maybe i can narrow my wishes to:
1)fast performance
2)great quality pics
3)good indoor pics
4)good pics in dim lighting

The fuji looks pretty good, but its $50-100 more expensive than the others.
No other suggestions?

mweb Jul 28, 2006 1:09 PM

yeah the Fuji F10/11 offer similar performance within your stated budget!.

mtclimber Jul 28, 2006 2:56 PM

cam-hunter-

So there you have it. I agree with mweb, the F-10 will offer you a good savings if you can deal with the new set of specs. The F-11 would be an even better choice, but they are sold nowhere in the USA except Hawaii.

MT

cam_hunter Jul 28, 2006 4:15 PM

the F-10 sounds pretty good but I just checked shopping.com and there's only a "reconditioned" one from digital foto club for $200. Is it out of production or something?
Also, can anyone recomment the sony w50/70 or casio z60/600? They're pretty cheap as well...

mtclimber Jul 28, 2006 5:05 PM

Yes, the Fuji F-10/F-11 are indeed out of production. All you can hope to catch is just the remaining inventory. If you don't need high ISO settings, the Canon A-620 is under $200 and it is highly reviewed.

MT

cam_hunter Jul 28, 2006 5:13 PM

The A620 is a good deal but its a little too bulky for me...
The panasonic fx-01 has image stabilization which is good, but it's bad in low light.
Hm...lots of choices.

mtclimber Jul 28, 2006 8:48 PM

cam-hunter-

You said you thought the Canon A-620 was too large.

To help narrow the field somewhat do you want:

(a) OIS?

(b) An optical Viewfinder or is LCD framing satisfactory?

(c) What is your ideal camera size?

MT

cam_hunter Jul 29, 2006 9:55 AM

well...
a) OIS isnt necessary but would be helpful
b) i dont need an optical viewfinder
c) ultracompact

thanks