Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   What Camera Should I Buy? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/)
-   -   confused about making a decision (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/confused-about-making-decision-78376/)

collectorsnest Jan 20, 2006 12:05 PM

Hello, I take 1000's of Macro photos a year, for my online vintage advertisng business, (mostly old keychains, metal pins,coasters etc).

I am searching for a camera that can serve well those needs, but also that has more flexible cababilities.. ex. for detailed complimentary shots for my larger vintage enamel signs, antiques,etc.

I need very detailed photos, without having too sharp an image, (which scares me from the Cannon..) something that won't pick up &magnify the tiny imperfections from myvintage items,that are barely or notnoticable when veiwing the item in hand, with the naked eye.

I am seriously looking at the Kodak P850 or P880, also am researching the Cannon S2 & the FujiFilm, & small Sony, which also apparantly specialize in Macros.

My problem is, that I really like Kodak colors,and theirhistoric reputaion, Iwant to upgrade from the more limited, compact digicams, & want the camera to grow with me.

I have had much success for 3 yrs,with my cheap (don't laugh..) Kodak DC 3800. (Still working the same now,as theday I bought it..)

Although my DC3800has many bad reviews over Macros& any pics taken in indoor light situations are horrible. But, If I can get my subject outdoors in sunlight I haveacheive phenominal results just with auto settings.

(I have included an example below,from myold kodak DC3800, of the back vintage paper label, of a tiny (about 1-1/4" by 1/2") Kleenex tissue box keychain. Photo was taken about 7-12" away from subject.

I have many more examples in my online store, (on the most famous worldwide auction website), don't think I can mention their name here.. but seller name is: [highlight= #ffff88]Collectorsnest if you want to see them.

Unfortunately, We rarely have good sun in Holland so I have to race outside every moment the sun does break through a cloud to take my inventory photos.

Does the P850 really not take better quality macros than my old 2 mgpxl Kodak?

Isit in confusion after researching thisfor 2 months..

I don't want to purchase another camera until this future purchase literally falls apart, and I hope that will be at least another 4 or 5 years.

I am not a camera whiz.. and am still learning terms, abbreviations,and what the manual settings will do. (But I am learning :)

Please anyone who can help me make this important purchase decision, I will greatly appreciate it..

Meg from South Holland, Netherlands

mtclimber Jan 20, 2006 1:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
collectorsnest-

I can surely understand the problems that you present. I own the P-850 and it is not a very good Macro/Close-up camera. If you wanted to stay with Kodak Colors, take a look at the Kodak V-530 or the V-570 cameras. You can save some money and the image quality is much better.

The Kodak V-series cameras can get as close as about 2 inches. If you wanted to get closer, you might want to consider the Canon S-2.

Here is a sample photo of about half of a standard beer coaster taken with the V-570.

MT

mtclimber Jan 20, 2006 3:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This sample photo was taken with the Fuji E-900 and it is a 100% crop of the macro of the same bar coaster.

MT

collectorsnest Jan 20, 2006 5:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you MT for your reply.. I thought I had included a photo from my old kodak DC 3800... but I dont see it so I will post it now.

I do not need so much to get so close to my subject, the camera mentioned above doesnt have to be very close to take clear shots.

And I have no need to shoot the microsopic hairs, on a misquito's chin, or anything like that.

its morea low light problem with my old camera, getting indoor shots andwith getting the miniture labels and print writing to show clearly..

*and also not too sharp as to magnify theminiscule imperfections that may be present, on vintage items thatare 40 or more years old..)

I want to portray my items in a clear andhonest, but complimentary way.

Maybe some subject examples will help..

Iguessmaybe I should go with another compact kodak like my DC3800or the sony cybershot,only this time make sure they dowell with low light macros..

but I was reallywishing to get something that would be a bit more flexible to use on vacation, mini movies or to just be creative with in my spare timeand such.

I am looking for something that can grow with me asmyknowledge grows, and won't have to be replaced in a year or two, because I am still longingfor somethingmore substantial.

Hereis a picture and another one to follow.These should show you exactly what my macro needs are.. And thanks again for taking the time to try & help mework this out. :)

Meg

collectorsnest Jan 20, 2006 5:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As you can see.. the keychain is quite small.. but the reverse side of the label is the best part. It has a miniscule accurate map of spain on the back, which would be fantastic if I could get a clear shot of...

This is the best I could get with my old kodak..

mtclimber Jan 20, 2006 9:03 PM

Collectorsnest-

Photos such as the two that you posted can easily and more sharply be taken using the new Kodak V-570. The V-570 is also a camera you can use as ageneral use, every day camera. If the cost of V-570 is too high. Take a look at the Kodak V-530.

MT

collectorsnest Jan 21, 2006 9:57 AM

Thank you MT.. I have looked at the kodak V570 and it looks nearly perfect, but I have arthritis, and with myoldereyesand it is sosmall, the buttons look like I wouldhave some troubles with operating.

I am still looking at the kodak DX6490 which is a bigger camera.. and has very good reviews over macro shots, though I am still not sure what it is capable on in low light situations.

I also looked at many Fuji& some of the newer Cannon IScameras.

I still don't see something in the 4-6 mgpxl range, with an exceptional lens, (Iam discovering that the lens may make most all the difference when taking clear but not too radically sharp macros..)

Irarely print photos, so I really don't see a need for too many mgpixels, think it just eats yourbattery withmore thanI need..

If only that kodak V570 wasn't sooo compact....

mtclimber Jan 21, 2006 10:53 AM

Well the Kodak DX-6490 is an excellent camera as well. So perhaps that is the perfect "fit" for you.

MT

fofa Jan 21, 2006 5:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't know if it is what you are really looking for, but I did this real quick like with my Fuji S5200 (S5600 in Europe). This shows the setup, my daughters rubber stamp on a coffee jar under a 60 Watt incondescent light (above the table). I put a pen on top for percpective of size. I shot in Natural Light mode (Macro) about 10 inches away (give or take) hand held.

fofa Jan 21, 2006 5:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I cropped down to the part we are concerned with, nothing else. Although my camera is a 5 MP I shot this on 3 MP (cause that was what it was set too). Natural Light mode does not use a flash, this was just using the available light, in totally auto mode (no manual adjustments). Any way figured I would give you something to work with.