Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   What Camera Should I Buy? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/)
-   -   Don't Know What Camera to Upgrade To (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/dont-know-what-camera-upgrade-212690/)

emmk2918 Sep 23, 2014 11:14 PM

Don't Know What Camera to Upgrade To

I currently have a Canon Rebel T3. I'm a photography major and I also actively shoot concerts. I have the Sigma Contemporary 17-70mm lens and the Canon EF 75-300mm USM lens. I'm looking at getting either the 70D, 7D, or 5D Mark II. I don't know what I should exactly get, I really would like the 5D Mark II but I can't find if my Sigma lens would work or be okay with it. Help would be greatly appreciated!

SIMON40 Sep 24, 2014 3:49 AM

It should mount and physically function ok,but will have significant vignetting and softness around the images. Sigma "DC" for aps-c, "DG" for full frame.
The 5D II will yield better high iso performance of the 3 cameras you mention, but third party lens choices are a good deal fewer with FF... and more expensive...
Maybe aps-c with some fast glass might compensate..?

TCav Sep 24, 2014 6:42 AM

The 70D and 7D would be fine upgrades from your T3.

The Sigma 17-70 that you have is nice.

The Canon 75-300 is not so good. If you use this lens a lot, I suggest you replace it before anything else.

JohnG Sep 24, 2014 7:08 AM

TCAV is correct. The 75-300 is definitely the weakest link in the 3 pieces of equipment. You mention you shoot concerts. Is this shooting as a fan? Or do you have some sort of credential? Shooting as a fan is rarely worth spending a lot of money on equipment - especially with the many restrictions venues place on camera equipment now.

emmk2918 Sep 24, 2014 7:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnG (Post 1380843)
TCAV is correct. The 75-300 is definitely the weakest link in the 3 pieces of equipment. You mention you shoot concerts. Is this shooting as a fan? Or do you have some sort of credential? Shooting as a fan is rarely worth spending a lot of money on equipment - especially with the many restrictions venues place on camera equipment now.

I shoot with credentials.

TCav Sep 24, 2014 9:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emmk2918 (Post 1380846)
I shoot with credentials.

Then I'm guessing that the Sigma 17-70 is your workhorse of an event lens.

Switching to a 'Full Frame' body like the 5D Mk II (or Mk III) will cost you a lot, not just in terms of the camera body, but also in replacing that lens with one that will do what the 17-70 does for you on an APS-C body.

The T3 you have is at the low end of the scale of what professional photographers use, so anything north of their is a good idea.

But switching to a 'Full Frame' kit means starting over with much more expensive gear.

emmk2918 Sep 24, 2014 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCav (Post 1380848)
Then I'm guessing that the Sigma 17-70 is your workhorse of an event lens.

Switching to a 'Full Frame' body like the 5D Mk II (or Mk III) will cost you a lot, not just in terms of the camera body, but also in replacing that lens with one that will do what the 17-70 does for you on an APS-C body.

The T3 you have is at the low end of the scale of what professional photographers use, so anything north of their is a good idea.

But switching to a 'Full Frame' kit means starting over with much more expensive gear.

Yeah the Sigma is the lens I use most. So because upgrading to the 5D Mark II would be expensive for me and I just couldn't get a new body/memory card etc. Would you recommend me getting the 7D or 70D body?

JohnG Sep 24, 2014 1:01 PM

My advice is - you are still in school. Expenditures should be kept to a minimum. Even a 70d is a luxury you can't afford - unless you're independently wealthy (in which case just buy a 1dx and some new lenses).

You're going to need to save every penny you can - it's a tough job market out there. If you are going to ignore that advice, the 70d is a better fit than 5dII because it's a better focus system and you can use your current lens.

JohnG Sep 24, 2014 1:39 PM

I would even choose the 70d over the original 7d right now.

emmk2918 Sep 24, 2014 1:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnG (Post 1380861)
I would even choose the 70d over the original 7d right now.

I've acquired extra loan money, which is why I am upgrading at the moment. Thank you very much for your suggestion.