Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   What Camera Should I Buy? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/)
-   -   dSLR and dust in sensor... (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/dslr-dust-sensor-107953/)

bgrk Nov 30, 2006 8:32 PM

I am considering purchasing a canon rebel XT camera. I currently have a canon Rebel 2000 35mm camera and have couple of lenses that I plan to reuse.

I want to know how serious the issue of dust on sensors is for canon rebel XT camera. Is it pretty high? How easy is it to get rid of the dust? Is it a problem with only canon or will all dSLRs? I know that Rebel XTi has features to get rid of dust, but the price is slightly high for me. Are there other dSLRs which have feature to get rid of dust on sensors?

mtclimber Nov 30, 2006 8:44 PM

Dust is a reality. Be it on DSLR imager guard plate or otherwise. That is a realistic part of the DSLR cameras. You have to accept it as part and parcel of owning and using a DSLR.

MT/Sarah

bgrk Nov 30, 2006 9:12 PM

How does one typically clean the dust from teh sensors in case of dSLRs?

mtclimber Nov 30, 2006 9:24 PM

bgrk-

There are a multitude of websites that will tell you in great detail how to clean the guard plate. The Copperhill method is the most publized. It is just a fact of life, when you use a DSLR camera.

MT/Sarah

dr_spock Nov 30, 2006 9:29 PM

Dust is not that bad. You can minimize it by avoiding changing lens in dusty environments. The XT manual recommends that you use a blower to remove dust from the sensor.

mtclimber Nov 30, 2006 9:44 PM

Dr. Spock-

That is a brilliant statement! However, at some point in time you will have to clean the image sensor guard plate. That is what I was addressing.

MT/Sarah

meanstreak Nov 30, 2006 10:03 PM

dr_spock wrote:
Quote:

Dust is not that bad. You can minimize it by avoiding changing lens in dusty environments. The XT manual recommends that you use a blower to remove dust from the sensor.
I wouldn't reccomend a blower since you could actually add dust or move dust that is inside the camera onto the sensor. Unless you are referring to a blower/brush.

bobbyz Dec 1, 2006 11:01 AM

Dust is big problem for people shooting landscapes, as it shows up when you stop down to f8 or smaller apertures. On wide apertures, dust won't show up unless your sensor is real dirty.

I use rocket blower and copperhill method. I have heard good reviews about lenspen thing but never used it. Dust cleaning is not that hard and once you get used to it, it takes only couple of minutes.

SelrahCharleS Dec 3, 2006 1:39 PM

Dust is a real problem, but its not a huge problem. I've found that most of the larger specks can be removed with a Rocket Blower, and while that just introduces or rearanges the smaller specks they are small enough not to show up in my photos. I would suggest buying a Rocket Blower for starters, you may not have to do any more cleaning beyond that, unless you are a bit obsessive about it.