Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   What Camera Should I Buy? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/)
-   -   Its a baby! (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/its-baby-83520/)

kennyx Mar 13, 2006 2:57 PM

The birth of my first child is only weeks away so I decided it was time to upgrade my basic sony Cybershot P72 to something more modern and effective. But to what I dont know!!

What type of cam am I after? Well the main purpose is to ensure I capture clearly and beautifully my little one without to much fuss but at the same time want the flexability to be bit more creative when out and about.

I know there are a few cameras coming out in April which may confuse things more.

So any suggestions?

Thanks

lucky2505 Mar 13, 2006 3:24 PM

I bought a used Canon G3 for my niece who is expecting her first child soon. I bought it because it has a fast lens (f2.0 wide open) and the 4x optical zoom adds just a bit more on the telephoto end over traditional 3x zooms. The latest version is the G6.

kennyx Mar 13, 2006 4:22 PM

Just seen the Canon PowerShot S2 IS for 309.95 from a genuine uk website - Sound like a good offer?

vwmom Mar 13, 2006 4:35 PM

Go for the S2 for sure. I just upgraded from my P71.. I LOVE my S2. I have 2 toddlers, and could go on forever about this cam.. You can do a quick search on my post history. If you have questions, ask away.

mtclimber Mar 13, 2006 4:50 PM

If you want an ultra zoom, the Canon S-2 IS is an excellent choice, having received great professional and user reviews.

MT

kennyx Mar 13, 2006 4:53 PM

Zoom isnt a major requirement - Minus the zoom would you still recommend ?

ELDDJOC Mar 13, 2006 5:02 PM

The Panasonic Lumix FZ7 is a good camera, especially if your toddler moves around a lot. With 12X Zoom, 2.5 Inch LCD and excellent Optical Image Stabilization, you should have fun with it.

digital demon47 Mar 13, 2006 5:48 PM

Great News about the baby,

I normally use a Sony Dsc 828, however with birth of my daughter I knew I needed

a smaller digicam. I choosed a Canon SD 400.

When in the delivery room its far easier to have a small camera on hand.

You can just put it in your shirt pocket.

Good Luck

PS keep the batteries charged

kennyx Mar 13, 2006 6:01 PM

Hi thanks :)

Not so worried about the birth part as I think I will probably faint anyway lol

More for the next 18 months as she starts to grow :)

mtclimber Mar 13, 2006 8:01 PM

If camera size is indeed an issue as it might be, take a look at the casio Z-750 or Z-120. They are top rated, 7.2mp, outstanding image quality, and they use the very same imager as the Canon A-620.

If a compact size is on your horizon, IMHO the A-620 can't be beat.

If an ultra zoom is on your horizon, IMHO, the Canon S-2, the Sony H-1/2/ 5, the Fuji S-5200, and the Pansonics TZ-1, FZ-5/7/20 deserve a look.

Keep in mind that the more you have the camera with youb and handy, the easier it is to record the event or candid situation.

MT