Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 1, 2009, 3:37 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Netman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 173
Default

I am looking to upgraded my P&S camera. I have a Fuji F31FD. I am looking at a couple of the kits out there. I was looking at the Nikon D60 or the Canon Xsi. While looking at some prices of the Xsi I found that the Canon XS kit is $476 where the XSi kit is $642. Both kits comes with the same lens and the difference I could find is the MP and the screen size. I am sure there are some there are some others differences that I didnt see for that kind of price difference.

Is the XSi worth the price difference over the XS?
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2009, 4:17 PM   #2
Super Moderator
 
Mark1616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,456
Default

What are you looking at shooting? The extra MP of the XSi can help but both are going to give great results. The XSi has a faster continuous shooting rate which if you are shooting sports will help.

Some scenarios will be assisted by the better camera and some by putting money towards better lenses so when we know more I'm sure you will get some good advice.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 4:54 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Netman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 173
Default

Primarily used for family pictures. I have 3 young kids. They are 6,4, and 1. The sports are starting. I would say that I have a few years before the sports start getting really competative.

I would say one of the biggest complaints from my wife about the current P&S is the pics inside in low light or under floresents.

We dont really print any pics out or crop them. If we do print they are typically 4x6.

I also fount that when buying the XS kit I can get the Canon EF 75-300mm F4-5.6 III Lens with $150 instant rebate.
Digital Rebel XS Silver w/ 18-55 & 75-300 III Lenses & $150 Instant Savings

$510 shipped

This Kit Includes
    Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Jan 1, 2009, 5:29 PM   #4
    Senior Member
     
    TCav's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2005
    Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
    Posts: 13,826
    Default

    The XSi would be a better choice for sports/action/wildlife. I suspect that adequately describes three small children. It has a better autofocus system than the XS, or any other entry level dSLR for that matter.

    Canon also has a $100 rebate on the 55-250 IS lens (a very good choice) when you buy it with the XSi. That will give you two stabilized lenses and a very good camera body. (The 75-300 that is part of the XS kit isn't stabilized.)

    For indoor/low light shots, you could use a faster lens (a lens with a larger aperture) or a better flash. Canon has a 50mm f/1.8 lens for $85 that would work well for low light shooting, but it's not stabilized. Canon also has some very good flashes that you could use indoors with the kit 18-55 IS lens.
    TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Jan 1, 2009, 5:53 PM   #5
    Super Moderator
     
    Mark1616's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Posts: 7,456
    Default

    One thing to add, the 75-300 is a very weak lens and I wouldn't even consider giving it space anywhere near my kit bag.
    Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Jan 1, 2009, 6:26 PM   #6
    Senior Member
     
    Netman's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Location: Cleveland, OH
    Posts: 173
    Default

    TCav wrote:
    Quote:
    The XSi would be a better choice for sports/action/wildlife. I suspect that adequately describes three small children. It has a better autofocus system than the XS, or any other entry level dSLR for that matter.

    Canon also has a $100 rebate on the 55-250 IS lens (a very good choice) when you buy it with the XSi. That will give you two stabilized lenses and a very good camera body. (The 75-300 that is part of the XS kit isn't stabilized.)

    For indoor/low light shots, you could use a faster lens (a lens with a larger aperture) or a better flash. Canon has a 50mm f/1.8 lens for $85 that would work well for low light shooting, but it's not stabilized. Canon also has some very good flashes that you could use indoors with the kit 18-55 IS lens.
    So would you say go with the XSi body and use this lens? Could I use it as a general lens to replace he one in the kit?
    Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Jan 1, 2009, 9:30 PM   #7
    Senior Member
     
    TCav's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2005
    Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
    Posts: 13,826
    Default

    Netman wrote:
    Quote:
    So would you say go with the XSi body and use this lens? Could I use it as a general lens to replace he one in the kit?
    No. The kit lens is good for family pictures, groups, travel, etc., and indoors with an external flash. The 50mm f/1.8 would be for small groups at a distance, adult portraits and children's environmental portraits, indoors using available light. It would not be a substitute for the kit lens.
    TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:27 PM   #8
    Senior Member
     
    Netman's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Location: Cleveland, OH
    Posts: 173
    Default

    TCav wrote:
    Quote:
    Netman wrote:
    Quote:
    So would you say go with the XSi body and use this lens? Could I use it as a general lens to replace he one in the kit?
    No. The kit lens is good for family pictures, groups, travel, etc., and indoors with an external flash. The 50mm f/1.8 would be for small groups at a distance, adult portraits and children's environmental portraits, indoors using available light. It would not be a substitute for the kit lens.
    I guess i dont understand the difference then.
    Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Jan 2, 2009, 4:29 AM   #9
    Senior Member
     
    TCav's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2005
    Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
    Posts: 13,826
    Default

    Netman wrote:
    Quote:
    TCav wrote:
    Quote:
    No. The kit lens is good for family pictures, groups, travel, etc., and indoors with an external flash. The 50mm f/1.8 would be for small groups at a distance, adult portraits and children's environmental portraits, indoors using available light. It would not be a substitute for the kit lens.
    I guess i dont understand the difference then.
    The 50mm lens is a fixed focal length, or 'prime',lens; you can not adjust the angle of view. The 18-55mm lens is a zoom lens; you can adjust the angle of view to accomodate a variety of subjects.

    The 50mm lens has a large aperture, which lets in more light, so less light is needed for a proper exposure. The 18-55mm lens has a much smaller aperture, especially at the longer end of the zoom range, so it needs more light for a proper exposure. The 50mm lens can take photos in much less light than the 18-55mm lens, so it doesn't necessarily need the supplimental light from a flash, but it's fixed angle of view means that it is not appropriate for some types of subjects.

    Does that help?
    TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Jan 2, 2009, 5:21 AM   #10
    Senior Member
     
    Netman's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Location: Cleveland, OH
    Posts: 173
    Default

    Yes. I think i have a lot more reading to do. With P&S I never paid any attention to aperature. I need to get a better understanding of the specs of the different lenses.


    Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 AM.