Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   What Camera Should I Buy? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/)
-   -   Low light and portable interchangeable lens? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/low-light-portable-interchangeable-lens-198500/)

lesmore49 May 15, 2012 2:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marubex (Post 1299429)
Hi... It is been a while...
Looking once more for your help... I can finally buy my next camera, although i am keeping my T2i.
I need something with the following requirements:
A) more portable and lighter than dslr, would be used as travel and street/take everywhere
B) If it could manage better low light performance.
C) Subjective fun to use.

What would give better low light performce a m4/3 with a fast prime? Or a sony nex with slower lens? (can't afford the zeiss)
Thank you

Maria

One camera you should look at, is the Pentax K-01. Unlike the 4/3rds cameras it uses a bigger sensor....the same Sony ASP-C sensor used both in the DSLR's...Pentax K-5 and Nikon 7000.

It also uses the Pentax K mount which opens this camera to an amazing number of lenses....current and past that fit the K mount and with an adapter...the old Pentax Screw mount.

You like low light...available light photography...Pentax has a number of highly rated fast prime lenses, including the 50mm F 1.4, 55mm F 1.4, 31mm F 1.8, 40mm F 2.8, 43mm F 1.9 and 70mm F 2.4. The 40, 43, 70, 31 are Limited lenses and quite small.

I have both the 70mm and 50mm lenses....sharpness and bokeh is excellent with both lenses. I have done a fair amount of available light (low light) photography...since my film days.

Back then I used my little (film) Leica Rangefinder....which was/is top notch...you can still get Leica Rangefinders (Digital)....and fast Leica lenses..but I would say for the average person the cost of this fine equipment is out of range.

I'm a fan of the Pentax fast prime lenses in these digital days.

Check out the Pentax K-01 with it's good sized sensor and some of small and fast prime lens....see if it's for you.

shoturtle May 15, 2012 3:56 PM

Just know that the k-01 with the DA limited lenses are very expensive. You can get 3 20 1.7 lens for the price of a DA limited pancake lens.

Like some of the nex, no view finder in a bit larger package.

lesmore49 May 15, 2012 8:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoturtle (Post 1301181)
Just know that the k-01 with the DA limited lenses are very expensive. You can get 3 20 1.7 lens for the price of a DA limited pancake lens.

Like some of the nex, no view finder in a bit larger package.

Is there that much difference in price ? I should check it out at B+H...that would surprise me.

As far as the viewfinder goes I also have Canon equipment. My G12 is a fine little camera with a live view monitor and a eye viewfinder. The eye viewfinder covers around 77 % and I find is next to useless on the camera.

In contrast, the LV monitor is ...great. I find that I use it almost exclusively on the G 12 and also find the photos I get are quite good...due in large part to the usefulness and abilities of the LV monitor.

shoturtle May 15, 2012 9:58 PM

Yeah, there is a big difference in price between a DA limited and the panny 20 1.7, 14 2.8, olympus 17 2.8 and the 45 1.8. All these are sub 400 dollars lenses, the DA Limited primes are 500-700 in price. The DA limited are up there with the m4/3 leica lenses and the pro olympus m4/3 12mm f2.

marubex May 17, 2012 12:49 PM

Thanks to all. After a some more research, I think I will try and get a hold of an EM5... If possible, since I will be in the States JUne-July. Although I tried the nex7 and felt really good. No place to try the EM5...