Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   What Camera Should I Buy? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/)
-   -   Need DSLR for indoor photos (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/need-dslr-indoor-photos-180659/)

tccarlton Nov 28, 2010 1:56 AM

Need DSLR for indoor photos

I have been on the hunt for a DSLR for some time and always second guess myself on this big purchase. I need some help to finally decide.

I need a great camera for outdoor photos, indoor photos with low light for ceremonies that take place in buildings like weddings, indoor arenas with little lighting.

The indoor arena pictures need to be where they capture clear photos of the moving horse. I do NOT want blurred movement where the horse and rider looks like a mutated blob. :)

The outdoor photos need to be high quality also.

I understand I need a camera with high ISO.

Being able to make video would be a HUGE bonus.

A couple I have looked at are the Canon EOS Rebel XS or XSi
and the Nikon D3000. Both of these are at $ 500 range where I need to stay at this time.

I hope Ive given enough information to get some final answers on my camera quest. I'll be back in tomorrow evening to check answers.

Thank you in advance !

shoturtle Nov 28, 2010 2:06 AM

All these dslr are only okay for low light to no light without a good external flash. To rally get good indoor low light shots, a good external flash bouncing off the ceiling will really help.

If you not looking to move into flash photography. The other option is a good big aperture prime. Something in the 1.8 range or better. With the canon you can get the ef 50 f1.8 for about 100 US dollars. And for the nikon the AF-s 35 f1.8 for 200. This will help with indoor low light shooting. These shorter focal length are not ideal for arenas. You will most likely need a big aperture zoom, something with a constant f2.8. A flash will most likely not be suite for you horse shooting.

But you might still have motion blur indoors depending on the lighting with action, as none of the camera mention shoot pass 1600iso or shoot well pass 1600iso.

You might have to move up to a canon t1i or nikon d5000 that will shoot at 3200iso well and okay at 6400iso. But you may still need the big aperture zoom. As the kit lenses are really not suited for action shooting.

shoturtle Nov 28, 2010 2:10 AM

not to expensive f2.8 zoom that are available for canon and nikon are from sigma, the sigma 70-200mm f2.8 HSM and the sigma 50-150mm f2.8 HSM. They range form 600-800 dollar. So indoor action is going to get expensive.

wave01 Nov 28, 2010 3:02 AM

Hi and welcome what you should be looking at is something like a canon 500d or 550d these both have hi iso. To get good pictures in doors then you will need a good external flash and fast lenses.
Can I ask what are you going to take pictures of.

shoturtle Nov 28, 2010 3:04 AM

wave,

indoor action, horses in an arena. That is going to get expensive as a flash will not be well suite for that kind of photography, can spook the horses with a flash going off.

TCav Nov 28, 2010 3:33 AM

Actually, the horses don't usually spook at flashes, but the riders will go ballistic because they might, and most riders get hurt because they did something stupid, not the horse.

But, yes, if you're shooting any kind of sports/action indoors, you'll need fast shutter speeds, and you'll need large apertures and high ISOs to make up for them. What matters is how close you can get and how bad the lighting is. What types of equestrian events will you be shooting, and in what kinds of venues will they be held?

John.Pattullo Nov 28, 2010 3:46 AM

with the budget constraits i think large aperture zooms are out - best bet is a maybe a fast 50mm prime and if that doesn't offer the flexibility needed then will simply have to rely on iso so

pentax kx - cheap as chips but a good camera with great low light performance
canon 550d - another good option
nikon d90 - i think its the only real nikon option that has a chance of being in your budget with good low light capabilities - that said its a higher spec camera than either the pentax or canon - so if you were thinking about it - might be worth looking further up the other manufacturers ranges too

might be wrong of course but dont recall hearing anything about lower end nikons being good in low light - sure someone here will know though

TCav Nov 28, 2010 10:33 AM

The entry level Nikons won't AF with appropriate large aperture primes. I switched to the Nikon D90 and the Nikon 85/1.8 for exactly the reason the OP has. See my Dr. Cesar Parra Dressage clinic Sept. 15-16, 2009 album. Unfortunately, Pentax doesn't have anything like it. Their 77/1.8 is more expensive and slow to focus. Canon has appropriate large aperture medium telephoto primes, and the 500D and 550D have higher resolution image sensors too.

wave01 Nov 28, 2010 10:46 AM

Ok now got my glasses on and re read op. and yes what you want is going to get expensive, you may get away with the kit 18-55 and a 50 1.8 plus a flash for the indoor stuff, but the indoor arena you will need a wide aperture long lens, which will cost. Out side any lens you have will work and give good quality.
I think you may have to increase your budget

frank-in-toronto Nov 28, 2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wave01 (Post 1171942)
Ok now got my glasses on and re read op. and yes what you want is going to get expensive, you may get away with the kit 18-55 and a 50 1.8 plus a flash for the indoor stuff, but the indoor arena you will need a wide aperture long lens, which will cost. Out side any lens you have will work and give good quality.
I think you may have to increase your budget

or change the requirements. ease up on the horse stuff. the op won't get good pics in this price range. best to let it go.

TCav Nov 28, 2010 1:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto (Post 1171948)
or change the requirements. ease up on the horse stuff. the op won't get good pics in this price range. best to let it go.

Perhaps his budget is more flexible than his requirements.

Fayyaz Nov 28, 2010 2:07 PM

Pentax k-x would probably b your best choice within the $500 range.

shoturtle Nov 28, 2010 2:09 PM

And the lenses I mention form sigma are available for the pentax as well. They do not have a inexpensive 50 1.8 but they have a good 50 1.4.

TCav Nov 28, 2010 2:47 PM

But a 50mm lens won't do what the OP wants. A 77mm lens will barely do it.

shoturtle Nov 28, 2010 2:55 PM

not the horse thing the regular indoor stuff, the 50 1.4 should do well. There were 2 parts to the op's question.

TCav Nov 28, 2010 3:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoturtle (Post 1172017)
not the horse thing the regular indoor stuff, the 50 1.4 should do well. There were 2 parts to the op's question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tccarlton (Post 1171807)
I need a great camera for outdoor photos, indoor photos with low light for ceremonies that take place in buildings like weddings, indoor arenas with little lighting.

It's not really very good for that either.

shoturtle Nov 28, 2010 3:02 PM

I beg to differ, I used the 50 1.4 for wedding and indoor low light on my canon, And it is a does do a nice job in indoor low light photos. I use it all the time when a flash is not advisable for indoor dancing.

tccarlton Nov 28, 2010 3:58 PM

Okay so what model cameras do I need to look for IF Im just needing the indoor arena for documenting my own horse.

Honestly I don't need PRO pics that I'm going to sell for these indoor pictures. However I do want them to at least capture the horse without making horse and rider into a mass blob.

I sure hope that makes sense. I'm SO tired right now.

tccarlton Nov 28, 2010 4:03 PM

[QUOTE=shoturtle;1171808]All these dslr are only okay for low light to no light without a good external flash. To rally get good indoor low light shots, a good external flash bouncing off the ceiling will really help.

Can you buy external flash with the NIkon and Canon I mentioned ?

frank-in-toronto Nov 28, 2010 4:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tccarlton (Post 1172027)
Okay so what model cameras do I need to look for IF Im just needing the indoor arena for documenting my own horse.

Honestly I don't need PRO pics that I'm going to sell for these indoor pictures. However I do want them to at least capture the horse without making horse and rider into a mass blob.

I sure hope that makes sense. I'm SO tired right now.

i'ts difficult to determine what type of image you would be satisfied with. perhaps a quick search on flickr and posting a link here would help.

this close (ignore the bull. just an example)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrchris...n/photostream/

or THIS close
http://www.flickr.com/photos/weisert...n/photostream/

you'll notice the blur as the shutter speeds were lowish (the second was at 1/50).

tccarlton Nov 28, 2010 4:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCav (Post 1171821)
Actually, the horses don't usually spook at flashes, but the riders will go ballistic because they might, and most riders get hurt because they did something stupid, not the horse.

But, yes, if you're shooting any kind of sports/action indoors, you'll need fast shutter speeds, and you'll need large apertures and high ISOs to make up for them. What matters is how close you can get and how bad the lighting is. What types of equestrian events will you be shooting, and in what kinds of venues will they be held?

My indoor arena shooting will be mostly to document my stallion at training and at shows. They will be mostly indoors with some low lighting and some will have better lighting. So I don't expect super fabulous but would like better than what I've had so far.

I hope that helps some.

tccarlton Nov 28, 2010 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCav (Post 1171936)
The entry level Nikons won't AF with appropriate large aperture primes. I switched to the Nikon D90 and the Nikon 85/1.8 for exactly the reason the OP has. See my Dr. Cesar Parra Dressage clinic Sept. 15-16, 2009 album. Unfortunately, Pentax doesn't have anything like it. Their 77/1.8 is more expensive and slow to focus. Canon has appropriate large aperture medium telephoto primes, and the 500D and 550D have higher resolution image sensors too.

Awesome photos !!!! Yes this is what I would love to get but realize it might be out of my price range at the moment.

Just to clarify WHAT camera and lenses were you using ?

tccarlton Nov 28, 2010 4:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto (Post 1172031)
i'ts difficult to determine what type of image you would be satisfied with. perhaps a quick search on flickr and posting a link here would help.

this close (ignore the bull. just an example)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrchris...n/photostream/

or THIS close
http://www.flickr.com/photos/weisert...n/photostream/

you'll notice the blur as the shutter speeds were lowish (the second was at 1/50).

Good idea. I could live with the first one. I would scream over the second one. lol

I REALLY want what Tcav has in his/her album link above. Those would be awesome! Granted I'm sure that's WAY out of the price range at the moment but it's what I want so maybe I should re-think that part. ;)

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...-2444-med.html

John.Pattullo Nov 28, 2010 4:45 PM

you know thinking on it would a 85mm 1.8 really be that good for shooting equestrian events? horses are quite large animals and 85mm at 1.8 the dof will be pretty damn slim so if the horse isn't perpendicular to the camera fair chance of it not being in focus - also puts fair demands on the camera's autofocus to get a moving target in dim lighting with that narrow a dof

combined with the inflexibility of a prime lens for when the subject could be varying in distance from the camera by significant margins - the more i think about it zoom would be a better option for this sort of thing - a 70-200mm probably be a good option and a f2.8 might not be as fast but should be fast enough combined with modern high iso performance

cheapest of the 70-200mm would be the unstablised sigma at about $800 but that i would only pair up with pentax or sony camera bodies unless your using a tripod

then you have the stablised version which good for canon and nikon too but its $1650

then if you go with canon and nikon own brands over $2000 for canon and nikon not far behind

realistically you want at least $1200 for a sigma 70-200mm unstablised with a pentax kx or a sony body (dont know which to recommend to many sony cameras in there line up for me to remember them)

frank-in-toronto Nov 28, 2010 5:09 PM

the second photo i posted the link to was at 1/50 f/4 or so. iso 250. it was probably 20 feet from camera to horse's head. depending on the lighting the op may be able to get this shot with a relatively cheap lens. i'm gonna take a minute and try to figure out the focal length used.

edit: no idea the focal length. too much work. sorry.

shoturtle Nov 28, 2010 6:33 PM

Yes, nikon and canon have very good external flashes. 3rd party metz and nissin makes good flashes dedicated to each brand.

[QUOTE=tccarlton;1172030]
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoturtle (Post 1171808)
All these dslr are only okay for low light to no light without a good external flash. To rally get good indoor low light shots, a good external flash bouncing off the ceiling will really help.

Can you buy external flash with the NIkon and Canon I mentioned ?

shoturtle Nov 28, 2010 6:36 PM

It looks like you can get away with the sigma 50-150 f2.8 HSM lens, it is available for canon, nikon and pentax for about 700 dollars. I would look at the canon T1i with this lens, add the nissin di622 flash, and the ef 50 1.8 and you should have a good kit. It is up to you weather you want to get the kit lens. It is good lens for general photography. The reason I would go with the canon over the pentax or the nikon is that with the proper lens, the AF system does a better job for action in the entry level dslr segment.

But to get the results you are looking for where you need to rely on the existing lighting, you will want one of the expensive zooms.

TCav Nov 28, 2010 7:28 PM

A new Canon T1i body from Adorama.com is $565. The Sigma 55-150/2.8 that shoturtle mentioned is $749. Alternatively, the Canon 85/1.8 is $376 and the 100/2.0 is $431. For capturing your stallion, you can probably skip the flash, but you should probably have one for the other things you wnat to shoot. Unfortunately, due to the poor lighting conditions, nothing cheaper will do the job. If you can do it outdoors, however, andy P&S could probably do ok.

tccarlton Nov 28, 2010 9:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCav (Post 1171936)

I'm not sure what happened to my earlier post on this but your pictures are Awesome! These are the type of photos I Really want to take!

Just to clarify, what camera and lenses were you using for these photos?

tccarlton Nov 28, 2010 9:08 PM

I've replied but they don't seem to be showing up.

I hope they do soon.

tccarlton Nov 28, 2010 9:08 PM

What camera and lens are you using TCav in the dressage show pictures ?

TCav Nov 29, 2010 6:22 AM

That wasn't a show, it was a clinic, so I could get inside the ring. At a competition, that would not be permitted. I used a Nikon D90 and a Nikon 85/1.8. At a show, you'd need something longer to get the same types of shots. (In addition to an 85/1.8, Canon also has a 100/2 at about the same price, plus a 135/2 that's a lot more expensive.) Either that, or do some cropping. The D90's 12MP images are excellent, but if you need the large aperture and can't get close, you may be able to get satisfactory results by croping the 15MP images from the Canon T1i or the 18MP images from the T2i.

Here's a topic I created of photos I took at another clinic in the same venue. It contains additional photos plus an explaination of what I had to do to get them: Cesar Parra Dressage Clinic 5/20

tccarlton Nov 29, 2010 2:26 PM

So to clarify for me I wouldn't be able to use the canon lens on the Nikon d90?

shoturtle Nov 29, 2010 4:15 PM

canon mounts will not work on nikon and visa versa. Each dslr brand has their own mounts

John.Pattullo Nov 29, 2010 4:23 PM

but you can get sigma and tamron lenses in both canon and nikon mounts

peterbj7 Nov 29, 2010 7:08 PM

If the OP is serious about his budget then there's no way he can get any DSLR/lens, let alone a suitable one. In the Canon range the minimum I'd want to use for this is a T2i with a 70-200 f2.8 zoom lens, and needless to say this would utterly eclipse the budget. I'm not so familiar with the Nikon range, but I don't think I'd go below the new D7000, and even without a lens that's more than double the budget.

Unless the OP has greatly more money available than (s)he says, I would suggest an up-market compact, the one I have in mind being the Canon S95. Comfortably within the budget, it is capable of pretty good low-light pictures without flash. And it has a useful zoom range that would get him/her closer to the horses.

shoturtle Nov 29, 2010 7:43 PM

The T1i will do the job also, it will shoot well at 3200iso, with the 50-150 2.8 or 70-200 2.8. Canon's t1i and t2i are very capable cameras.

John.Pattullo Nov 30, 2010 4:12 AM

problem is the budget is $500 the canon 70-200 f2.8 is 4 times the budget without the camera body to go with it

realistically your looking at entry level cameras with good high iso performance and a consumer/kit telephoto lens and even that is pushing the budget - the pentax kx i thnk we can agree is not an expensive camera and yet from amazon with the 55-300mm telephoto zoom its coming in at $719 and not that much under budget just with the base 18-55mm

unless amazon prices in the us are not competative at all your really struggling with canon though the xs does just squeeze in

think realistically the budget should be $1000

wave01 Nov 30, 2010 4:46 AM

What is the OP experience in taking pictures, I can see from these posts that they may spend a lot of money on gear and then have a learning curve to get the right type of pictures for them to be acceptable. i would hate to see people spend a lot of money and then be very disappointed with the results.

dterry927 Dec 1, 2010 4:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well I"m not sure if this will help, but I take a few pictures at indoor arenas from time to time recently at AQHA in Columbus I took a picture of my neice with a sony a300 using the built in flash and about 200ft this is the picture I got with just a little brighting from software. Not the best but not bad and camera is in price range. I would recommend a external flash to help though