Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   What Camera Should I Buy? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/)
-   -   New vs old (with new lens) (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/new-vs-old-new-lens-215012/)

Wilco6910 Jul 2, 2015 5:21 PM

New vs old (with new lens)

Hi all,

I want to get a general opinion, if I may, on what you think I'm best spending my money on.

I currently have a Sony A450 with the kit 18-55 and a Tamron 70-300 lens. When I'm out and about on holiday/days out i find myself missing shots as I'm swapping lenses over, as the kit lens is too short, or the zoom lens is too long. This obviously isn't a problem if I'm out on a specific event/shoot.

There is a great deal on for Nikon D5300 with 18-140mm at 450 (sterling) – should I consider this, or should I just buy a decent 'walkabout' lens for the A450?

I'm convinced that, although not as good as having two smaller lenses, the better spec of the D5300 with the longer lens would compensate for the older spec on the A450.

Feel free to suggest alternative combinations too. My budget is about 400 if keeping the A450, or 600ish if a new body/lens, as I can sell my A450 and lenses to help fund it and buy specific lenses over time.

Many thanks.

TCav Jul 2, 2015 6:49 PM

While the Nikon 18-140 is reasonably sharp, it has a lot of distortion, vignetting and chromatic aberration.

The Nikon D5300 has a 24MP sensor compared to your Sony's 14MP, plus it has less noise and more dynamic range.

On the whole, the Nikon package is an improvement over what you've got now.

Wilco6910 Jul 3, 2015 4:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCav (Post 1391755)
While the Nikon 18-140 is reasonably sharp, it has a lot of distortion, vignetting and chromatic aberration.

The Nikon D5300 has a 24MP sensor compared to your Sony's 14MP, plus it has less noise and more dynamic range.

On the whole, the Nikon package is an improvement over what you've got now.

Thanks TCav – There is also the Nikon 18-105 lens I can get in a kit, or i can get just the body for 350 (sterling) if you have a recommendation for a better lens that I should/could consider?

TCav Jul 3, 2015 6:02 AM

Where their ranges overlap, the Nikon 18-105 is about as sharp as the 18-140 and has less field curvature (soft corners) and CA, but it has more vignetting and distortion.

The Tamron 18-270 isn't as sharp and has more field curvature, about the same distortion, but less vignetting and CA, plus a lot more zoom range.

Jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none lenses don't perform as well as multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges, but they're convenient, and that's what you're looking for.

Wilco6910 Jul 7, 2015 4:29 AM

Just to add another equation, I've just seen that I can get a D7100 with the 18-140mm lens for only 50 more than my budget.

Would this be my best option, in your opinion?

TCav Jul 7, 2015 6:37 AM

The D7100 is a more capable camera with more AF points and bracketing capabilities, plus an internal AF motor (so it can AF with lenses that don't have their own AF motors), and a faster shutter speed. In addition, Nikon makes a vertical grip/battery pack for the D7X00 series that's not available for the lesser series.

In general, a dividing line between a manufacturer's amateur dSLRs and its professional level dSLRs is that the amateur models have 1/4000 as the fastest shutter speed, while the professional models have1/8000 (or faster) speeds. Plus, the pro models have vertical grips while the amateur models don't.