Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   What Camera Should I Buy? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/)
-   -   olympus e-620, e-450 or nikon d3100 (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/olympus-e-620-e-450-nikon-d3100-180243/)

narges Nov 19, 2010 4:20 PM

olympus e-620, e-450 or nikon d3100

I am a girl who wants to switch from compact cameras to DSLR. I have 500, which one is the best buy? I know D3100 has video recording too, but video is not important to me. I have a Sony NX5 video camera which I use for filming :). Please help me on this.
E-620 with two lenses costs about 450, E-450 with two lenses costs about 350, and D3100 with one lens costs about 500.

shoturtle Nov 19, 2010 4:23 PM

The olympus e620 is a 4/3 format camera. It is very good. But is does not do low light shooting as well as the aps-c format of the nikon d3100.

So knowing what you like to shoot will help figure out if there is a better camera to match what you like to shoot. As a dslr is a system and you are buying into the lenses system for it.

Are you going to get big into photo editing, or are you going to do minor editing with jpegs?

narges Nov 19, 2010 4:27 PM

The good thing about e-620 comes with two lenses, which some say they are good, and it has image stabilizator built in. D3100 comes only with one lens.
I shoot in less sunny environment. I shoot mainly portrait and landscape and nature.

shoturtle Nov 19, 2010 4:34 PM

Yes the kit lens on the e620 are excellent kit lenses, best kit lenses in the entry level market.

But you say less sunny environments. If they are indoors, then the e620 would not be the first option. As it is a little noise at 1600iso, and you do not what to shoot any higher. So for indoor stuff, not the best optiion. With the kit lenses, it does do very good landscape and nature.

The nikon does better indoors, and can shoot well to 6400iso. But if you are a jpeg shooter, it can not take a ev bracket, so if you are shooting in tricky light, like sundown. Where the light is changing moment my moment. It can a disadvantage. The kit lens is okay, and will do the landscape well. Also it can not use some of the low cost consumer lenses out there.

Are you set on nikon or olympus. Are you open to other options?

gjtoth Nov 19, 2010 4:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoturtle (Post 1168310)
Yes the kit lens on the e620 are excellent kit lenses, best kit lenses in the entry level market.

But you say less sunny environments. If they are indoors, then the e620 would not be the first option. As it is a little noise at 1600iso, and you do not what to shoot any higher. So for indoor stuff, not the best optiion. With the kit lenses, it does do very good landscape and nature.

The nikon does better indoors, and can shoot well to 6400iso. But if you are a jpeg shooter, it can not take a ev bracket, so if you are shooting in tricky light, like sundown. Where the light is changing moment my moment. It can a disadvantage. The kit lens is okay, and will do the landscape well.

Are you set on nikon or olympus. Are you open to other options?

Are

Then, of course, there is the option of adding a flash to the E620 for indoor/low light stuff ;)

shoturtle Nov 19, 2010 4:37 PM

Yes I would suggest a good flash, it really helps allot once you learn to use it properly.

But it wont fit in the budget right now.

narges Nov 19, 2010 4:40 PM

they have this eBay item, which even includes a flash, a tripod and a bag:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-OLYMPUS-E-...t_19021wt_1176

I have small hands, so I prefer smaller cameras.
What about e-450? it is even cheaper than e-620 and it still includes the good olympus lenses.

narges Nov 19, 2010 4:47 PM

I have small hands, so I prefer smaller cameras.
What about e-450? it is even cheaper than e-620 and it still includes the good olympus lenses.

shoturtle Nov 19, 2010 4:48 PM

we do not have the e450 in the states, so I never had a chance to play around with it.

narges Nov 19, 2010 4:53 PM

what budget flash would you recommend?