Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   What Camera Should I Buy? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/)
-   -   Which Panasonic To Buy (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/panasonic-buy-214494/)

shawski May 1, 2015 6:41 PM

Which Panasonic To Buy

I am looking to replace (actually add to) my point and shoot Panasonic DMC-ZS3 that has a 12x zoom that I have had for a few years. My search for another camera is prompted by the fact that I am taking two beautiful scenery trips this summer (Norwegian fjords on a cruise and Canadian Rockies) and I want to be able to take some great pictures.

I would like to get a bridge camera and have narrowed it down to three of the Panasonics - the FZ1000, FZ200 and FZ70. Right now Iím leaning towards the 1000 or the 200 after initially thinking that I wanted the really long zoom. I know that in the Norwegian fjords there will be a lot of cloudy days, so I want something that will be good in low light. Iím not sure that I need the really long zoom, particularly since it appears that image quality really suffers at the more extreme ends.

I like the FZ200 because it has a longer zoom than the FZ1000 and that would be nice to have for the wildlife that I know I will see in the Rockies. However, the larger sensor on the FZ1000 also seems to make a lot of sense for the quality of the photos.

Iím really confused and would appreciate some advice.

TCav May 1, 2015 7:01 PM

I think the larger, higher resolution image sensor in the FZ1000 is the best choice for what you want to do. And while the FZ200 has a longer zoom, the difference isn't much.

According to the DxOMark tests, the FZ1000 has less noise and greater dynamic range than the other two.

rudimaes May 2, 2015 12:57 AM

When you use iZoom on the FZ1000, you can go to 800mm, without noticeable detoriation (if you don't pixelpeep), thanks to the good 20mp sensor.
Rudi

pcake May 2, 2015 4:17 AM

the FZ1000 blows the other two away imo. a really nice camera with good image quality, fast and accurate autofocus and not bad in lower light. i rented one, and it was absolutely a joy.

shawski May 2, 2015 10:25 AM

Thanks everyone - seems unanimous.

What is pixel peep?

shawski May 2, 2015 4:16 PM

Another question -

I don't know if this is allowed on this forum, but can anyone recommend a reliable online source for buying the camera?

pcake May 2, 2015 4:53 PM

pixel peeping is when you enlarge a picture on your monitor so it's big - say 100% or bigger - so instead of looking at the pic, you're basically looking at image quality or looking for flaws.

bhphotovideo.com is my favorite seller. very helpful folks there, easy returns if there's a problem, plus good tech support if you need it. i've had less experience with adorama, but most people i know love 'em. amazon is good, too, but make sure if buying there that it's from amazon and not a marketplace seller.

BBbuilder467 May 2, 2015 5:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawski (Post 1389661)
Another question -

I don't know if this is allowed on this forum, but can anyone recommend a reliable online source for buying the camera?

I've bought both new and used from Amazon, Adorama and B&H. No problems in a decade.

FWIW, the FZ200 was selling new at Amazon for $399 about a week ago. Watch the pricing of Panasonic. They can have drastic price swings from day to day.

TCav May 2, 2015 6:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawski (Post 1389661)
Another question -

Where are you?

shawski May 2, 2015 7:53 PM

I'm in Florida.

Also, just looked up the camera on Costco and it's about $100 less than at the online sites. Any problem with buying it at Costco? It's not gray market or anything , is it?