Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   What Camera Should I Buy? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/)
-   -   Which point and shoot should I buy (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/point-shoot-should-i-buy-161318/)

kjarn Oct 24, 2009 2:00 AM

Which point and shoot should I buy

I have used and enjoyed a Canon S21S for quite a few years now. It still takes reasonable photos but is quite slow so it's time for an upgrade.
I am not interested in getting an dSLR or in having seperate lenses or flashes.
I plan on using the camera for general photography - holidays, scenery, people.
Recommended to me so far are the Canon SX20IS and Panasonic DMCFZ38/35. Does anyone recommend either of these or any other camera in the same league.

Many thanks for any advice received.

K :)

Stan C. Oct 24, 2009 5:25 AM

I love my FZ 35. :D

mtclimber Oct 24, 2009 1:05 PM

Both the Panasonic FZ-35, and the Canon SX-10 cameras are popular and able to give good service. The Panasonic FZ 35 is the better choice of those two cameras.

Sales of the new Canon SX-20 have been slow because the image quality from the SX-10 is better than the SX-20 camera.The Kodak Z-950 camera is also popular and well received by folks on a lesser budget.

Sarah Joyce

kjarn Oct 24, 2009 4:01 PM

Thank you. I will do some research on the SX - 10 and Kodak Z-950

K

kjarn Oct 24, 2009 5:21 PM

I have done some further research and have now disregarded the Kodak Z-950 as it isn't wide angle and doesn't have a viewfinder - I find LCDs so hard to use in strong sunlight.

Are there any further suggestions out there other than the Canon SX-10 or Panasonic FZ 35

K :rolleyes:

Chato Oct 24, 2009 8:29 PM

If you don't mind putting up with a fixed lens, no zoom, and an optional viewfinder, the Sigma DP2 will give you results as good as an SLR. Perhaps in some respects better.

The auto focus stinks in low light, but this camera can be used in full manual mode, and is quite easy to use. In good light, you can let the camera set all the options.

Since buying this machine, I wouldn't use any other P&S machine.

Nor should you be fooled by the low MP count. This machine will out resolve any P&S camera and rivals SLR's in this respect.

Dave

gjtoth Oct 24, 2009 8:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chato (Post 1012684)
If you don't mind putting up with a fixed lens, no zoom, and an optional viewfinder, the Sigma DP2 will give you results as good as an SLR. Perhaps in some respects better.

The auto focus stinks in low light, but this camera can be used in full manual mode, and is quite easy to use. In good light, you can let the camera set all the options.

Since buying this machine, I wouldn't use any other P&S machine.

Nor should you be fooled by the low MP count. This machine will out resolve any P&S camera and rivals SLR's in this respect.

Dave

However, if you DO want zoom and a great set of features, the Olympus SP590UZ could trip your trigger.

mtclimber Oct 24, 2009 10:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I second that nomination. The Olympus SP-590 is a very amazing machine at about $310.00. Here is an eye opening comparison of the Olympus SP-590 ($310) with the Olympus E-620, a full fledged DSLR camera costing around $800.00.

Sarah Joyce

KCook Oct 25, 2009 1:05 AM

Wow! I think it's remarkable that both cameras hit exactly the same exposure and WB. To me this says that Olympus has really tight standards for their auto exposure programming.

Kelly Cook

mtclimber Oct 25, 2009 7:40 AM

You are correct, Kelly-

That is what makes the Olympus SP-590 a rather interesting, but not very well know camera.

Sarah Joyce