Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 16, 2006, 1:21 AM   #1
KSS

I am using a Canon EOS 20D and I am considering a backup camera. Could I get any suggestions on a Semi-Professional Digicam and or a 10-12X Optical "Super" Zoom. Will any of these cameras give me similar results that I get with the 20D? Thanks in advance for your advice.
KSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2006, 2:01 AM   #2
rey

I'm sure you've thought about this, but most Semi-Pro Digicams are so expensive, that you're better off getting a RebelXT and share lens with it.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 2:33 AM   #3

I don't think any of the available digicams will match your 20D in low light. That said,

here are my recommendations:

Panasonic FZ7 (under $350 online)

Fuji S9000 (about $500-550 online)

Konica Minolta A200 (if you can find one)

The FZ7 has a 12X optical zoom with image stabilization.

The S9000 has about 10.6X optical zoom(28-300mm)without IS, but with much better than average low light performance.

The A200 has image stabilization, 7X optical zoom and a nice wide angle (28mm maximum wide angle).
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 4:13 AM   #4
Super Moderator

What are you looking for in a backup camera?

The semi-pro superzooms aren't any smaller or much cheaper than an XT.

The Sony R1 is attractive because of the awesome Zeiss lens and quiet operation, probably giving as good or better quality within its range of operations as you could get with the 20D, though it is obviously far less versatile.

What budget do you have? Because you might be able to find some very good deals on the 20D as stocks run down, and the best backup for a 20D must surely be another 20D.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 4:31 AM   #5
E.T

robbo wrote:
Quote:
I don't think any of the available digicams will match your 20D in low light.
Depends on what kind targets are, stationary or moving.
And do you have faster (and really expensive) zoom lenses or primes or one longer zoom general lens.
For stationary targets and when comparing to single (non-car priced) SLR lens covering same focal length range you actually can get similar results.
http://www.neocamera.com/feature_dslr4.html

But for non stationary targets DSLRs are superior, especially with fast primes.
So it's about what would be purpose of backup camera, as full time backup for everything including action, especially in lower light then other DSLR body would be better choise, if purpose is backup for less demanding use in good lightning and for more lighter camera which would be easier to carry daily that's what non-SLRs could do well and give additional video capability for vacations and such.

Sony R1 could be good backup for lower light inside photography because of dSLR size sensor but as outdoor camera its tele could be too short. (120mm)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote