Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:10 AM   #1

Default superzoom travel camera

I'm in the market for a new travel camera with a zoom of at least 250mm. Which feature is more important for quality pic-taking -- 1" sensor vs. 1/2.3; or a faster lens, say 2.8 vs. 3.3? Any recommendations?
aleyedig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:33 PM   #2

The faster lens is a help in lower light, and for getting out-of-focus backgrounds for portraits and other shots where you want to isolate the subject visually, but really doesn't do much for picture quality otherwise.
Larger sensors are, in general, less noisy and have better image quality, if the lens is sufficiently sharp. The camera and lens will also have to be larger and heavier.
You will have to decide which is more important to you.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:06 PM   #3

G'day mate

As VT says "Larger sensors are, in general, less noisy and have better image quality .... The camera and lens will also have to be larger and heavier.... You will have to decide which is more important to you."

Here's a link to 2 such cameras - both from Panasonic so your comparison is 'like with like' and you can see similarities and differences

https://www.dpreview.com/products/co...onic_dmcfz2500

Hope this helps
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:04 AM   #4

You've got some good advice from VT and Ozzie.

I think the sensor is the most fundementaly important feature for high quality photos. But you can't discount the glass either.

When you say travel camera do you mean?

Point and shoot
Mirrorless
DSLR

Here's some information that may help you with your decision.

https://www.switchbacktravel.com/bes...ras#Categories

https://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-travel-cameras

There are some cameras that are newer then whats listed in those articles, but this should get you started.

My personal travel kit is a Sony A600 with the 18-200mm lens, a 50 f/1.8 and a fisheye. A separate flash that mounts on the camera and it all fits in a small bag. I've posted many photo's on this forum with that set-up.

If I need to go really small like a pocket camera I use a Canon s95. But that only zooms out to 50mm.

The newer pocket cameras zoom out to 200mm and farther.

Hope this helps.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:03 PM   #5

Thanks so much to the three of you -- VTphotog, Ozzie, and Lomitamike. I apologize for taking so long to respond...I was waiting for an email saying I had gotten a response to my question, and just realized this forum doesn't do that.

So based on your feedback, it sounds as though the 1" sensor wins, with a faster lens coming in second in importance. I'd also want RAW format, a zoom to 200 mm or a bit more, and light-weight. I don't think I'm asking for the sky, but...I've just heard about a new Sony RX100 Mark 6 that was just released this week -- with 1" sensor, 24-600mm zoom,2.8-4.5 focal length, RAW, and I believe, about 1 lb. in weight. The only negative is the price tag -- $1200. So I'm still looking.

Thanks again,

aleyedig
aleyedig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:17 PM   #6

aleyedig

I had a chance to use the Panasonic ZS100 last week. Great in good light, not good in low light. I took it and the Sony RX100mV to an amphitheater concert that started in daylight and got some good shots. As soon as the sun went behind the bleachers the Panasonic was done. The Sony managed a couple of keepers but at 50mm required some big crops that really diminished the IQ.
The new Sony looks very impresive. If you don't mind going bigger the Sony RX10 mIV is a is probably the best 1" do all camera there is. I've tested it and was very impressed. It starts at 24 f/2.4 and goes to 600 f/4. But the $1600 price tag is pretty steep.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote